New Andy kirby 15 min conversion kit looks good

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
"You can put the kit on any bike you want"

So including bikes with alloy drop outs on the suspension forks ?

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Anybody challenging Swytch's absurd business model where you have to forward order now and maybe get your kit in 6 months gets my vote. £400-£450 seems keen, especially if it's going to be an in-stock item.

Anybody else notice another flaw from AK's body-cam? As AK has it angled (so the front light points where you'd think it should be toward the road), you can't really see the top-mounted buttons or display easily as they're angled away from the rider.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
As always, there was a shop full of bikes to choose for the conversion, but instead of taking a nearby one, they go and get a specially chosen one from round the back that had specially strong drop-outs, probably pre-filed so that the motor would fit. There was no mention of the dangers of fitting a high torque motor to forks with weak drop-outs, nor anything about how to reinforce them. They're wide open for a liability claim.

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
No torque arms and you can't see the anti rotation washer tab.
The anti rotation washer tab top should be below the top of the dropout, this ensures full contact between the side faces of the tab and dropout
He might have been lucky enough that the axle fitted without modifying the sides of the dropout but it's hard to judge the depth without seeing the washer tab.
I also need magine that the bike shop made it clear to him that once he fitted the ebike motor his warranty was invalid
Bike lights should be facing downwards, car headlines face tilted downwards so you don't blind oncoming drivers.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
He might have been lucky enough that the axle fitted without modifying the sides of the dropout but it's hard to judge the depth without seeing the washer tab.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
The cheapest bikes have 10mm axles with nuts on. They obviously have 10mm wide drop-outs to fit the axle, so the 10mm motor axle at least goes in.

More expensive bikes have 9mm QR axles and drop-outs to suit, so they nearly always need filing.

Look at the thickness of those drop-outs. if I wanted to convert a medium priced bike with a front motor, that would be a good candidate, though I'd always fit a torque arm on the brake side tied to the brake caliper mount.

Everything considered, though, the kit looks pretty good. I'd prefer the Swytch way of putting the controller in the fixed mounting rather than in the removable battery.

I'm doing an ebike conversion project with a 15 year old to improve his job-seeking chances. We're looking at something similar to that kit, but not with the battery sticking out in front of the handlebars like that. He's writing it all up in a big folder with all the details of his learning experience about how it all works, the construction techniques, design choices, safety of operation and construction, self-designed parts, constraints and regulations. The guy is dead keen, and never done anything like that and never made anything before. I set him homework each week on aspects to study, and he does it all very thoroughly. I'm also tutoring him in Physics, which is where it all started from. He was very lucky coming to my house to get one to one tuition, a free electric bike conversion and prospects of a very bright future in technology. How many 15 YOs can tell you about how to make a lithium battery, what sort of chemistry is best , how to solder and weld, what a BMS is and how it works, how to build a wheel, how an ebike control sytem works, the role of microprocessors and sensors in a control system, and things like that? His first homework was to research the regulations, second was to study the diferent types of ebike kits and figure out what the main components are.

Last edited:

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
I didn't look at the video properly, my mistake, I was assuming it was a quick release axle..
I spersonally still would not fit an ebike motor to a suspension fork even with torque arms fitted

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
That red oblong front light should be white surely? I'd turn one of my two 1800LM headlights red, if it was legal to do so. If the batteries are easy to replace with generic, it's waterproof and cheaper than Swytch, I can see demand being good for this kit.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
I'm doing an ebike conversion project with a 15 year old to improve his job-seeking chances.
The boy is lucky to find a worthy mentor. Old school hands-on training, now mostly sadly absent in favour of watered-down University degrees.
That red oblong front light should be white surely?
It has been changed to white in one of the videos.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
The cheapest bikes have 10mm axles with nuts on. They obviously have 10mm wide drop-outs to fit the axle, so the 10mm motor axle at least goes in.

More expensive bikes have 9mm QR axles and drop-outs to suit, so they nearly always need filing.

Look at the thickness of those drop-outs. if I wanted to convert a medium priced bike with a front motor, that would be a good candidate, though I'd always fit a torque arm on the brake side tied to the brake caliper mount.

Everything considered, though, the kit looks pretty good. I'd prefer the Swytch way of putting the controller in the fixed mounting rather than in the removable battery.

I'm doing an ebike conversion project with a 15 year old to improve his job-seeking chances. We're looking at something similar to that kit, but not with the battery sticking out in front of the handlebars like that. He's writing it all up in a big folder with all the details of his learning experience about how it all works, the construction techniques, design choices, safety of operation and construction, self-designed parts, constraints and regulations. The guy is dead keen, and never done anything like that and never made anything before. I set him homework each week on aspects to study, and he does it all very thoroughly. I'm also tutoring him in Physics, which is where it all started from. He was very lucky coming to my house to get one to one tuition, a free electric bike conversion and prospects of a very bright future in technology. How many 15 YOs can tell you about how to make a lithium battery, what sort of chemistry is best , how to solder and weld, what a BMS is and how it works, how to build a wheel, how an ebike control sytem works, the role of microprocessors and sensors in a control system, and things like that? His first homework was to research the regulations, second was to study the diferent types of ebike kits and figure out what the main components are.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Mate, I wish I was that 15 year old.
That sort of hands on, broad ranging practical apprenticeship is sorely lacking. Instead it's all classroom based theory and bits of paper probably taught by a guy who hasn't actually been 'on the tools' for years.

• Agree
Reactions: Az.

Bonzo Banana

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2019
I think it will be more expensive than most yosepower kits despite having a much lower capacity battery. The benefit here is easier fitting but this may not be the case for all bikes.

Decathlon bikes typically have low weight limits and Rockriders have had some recalls for frames breaking. I feel a stronger bike would have been a better donor choice.

Definitely would have gone with rigid steel forks for this setup.

This would have been a better donor bike;

Ebike kits without batteries can start around £200 and a 36V 7Ah battery can easily be found sub £100 with genuine 3500mAh cells.

Obviously Andy Kirby plans to put on a generous markup for himself. The factory door price is probably $150-300 for the kit.

I personally wouldn't buy it. I've seen quite nice complete ebikes go for around £700.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The controller is placed inside the same battery bag on the woosh kit.

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
Yet another go no distance battery, I suppose it is ok if you have 3 spare batteries