New build - bafang and Giant Roam

droo

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 24, 2008
Hi all,

Started my conversion of my Giant Roam with a Bafang kit.
Been a bit of a nightmare so far, I got the bike cheap but soon found out the drive side crank had no thread on it ! The bike was cheap as the bottom bracket needed replacing, now I know why !

Anyway I got the bracket off thanks to a friend who has a garage, now question number 1.

What should I do about the rear derailleur cable as the bracket catches and prevents it from fitting :-(

Pic here to show the arrangement, any help / pointers appreciated :- https://imgur.com/Hy4vXR2

Drew.

droo

Jun 24, 2008
Cool, do you have a pic of what it looks like when installed ?

Drew.

droo

Jun 24, 2008
It looks like you just cable tied the cable in place and removed it from the bottom bracket ?

Drew

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
If i remember i cut that black plastic guide in two and used the smaller part which was then screwed back into place.
You`ll see when you come to fit the motor there`s enough room for the cable to come through the top of the motor.

droo

Jun 24, 2008
Thats great, I was thinking the same, cut bracket down and re-fit.
Or I have a 3D printer so I could make something new ;-)

Drew.

D

Deleted member 4366

Chuck that arrangement and run the cable all the way from the shifter to the derailleur in an outer cable. You can but gear cables for £1.25 from Wilkos, but they don't have the small nipple for Shimano shifters. hopefully, you only need the outer and can use your present inner again if you can thread it through.

• Agree
Reactions: daveboy

droo

Jun 24, 2008
Great idea, would make more sense to fit the gear change sensor as well if all sleeved ?

Drew.

D

Deleted member 4366

The gear sensor can go anywhere on the cable, so cut the outer at the position you want to install it.

droo

Jun 24, 2008
Dumb question (first of many) I like the idea of the wilko cable to re-sleeve the gear change cable and then re-route the cable run. How tightly secured does the cable need to be to the bike frame, in my mind it needs to be fixed so the leaver works properly to change gear ?

I'm leaning toward 3d printing a bracket for below the bottom bracket that is slimmer to fit in to route the cable, then run it on the outside of the drive side of the bike ?

Drew.

droo

Jun 24, 2008
Tommie,

I think your right, hopefully tomorrow I will get time to take a better look, I also need to clear more space in the garage to work as its a little tight in there at the moment.

In the mean time, look what turned up today :- https://imgur.com/a/snbyG

I'm a computer geek by trade and mechanically I am pretty hopeless, hence I will probably be asking more stupid questions yet !

Drew.