New build.

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
Ok, so I've aquired a Trek FX 7.5 on the cycle2work scheme and in a bid to encourage me to cylce to work more (9 miles each way) I've been researching electric kits to do this bike justice.

This is what I've ordered:-

Tongxin 190rpm hub with disc mount.
Lyen mini monster controller.
Thumb throttle + cruise control from Lyen.
Torque arm and dropout washers from ebikesca.

I will be ordering one of the 36v15ah lipo shrink wrap batteries from BMS battery on pay day.

All in the above should weigh in at 5.5kg - nice and light weight and should give me 25miles range, easily enough for my commute without a charge at work.

First to arrive was the motor which I acquired via ebay. I then ordered some Halo DB black spokes and a Mavic A-319 rim to lace it into.

Spokes in place.

It's been years since I built a wheel (worked at a bike shop when I was 15yrs to 19yrs old).

3hrs later and I'm quite happy with that - proof of the pudding will be riding it though!

That's it for now - waiting for delivery of the bike later this week then I can start looking at how to mount the controller and fitting the throttle/cruise control etc and start working out my cable runs.

More photos to follow as the build progresses.

Ultra Motor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Ok, so I've aquired a Trek FX 7.5 on the cycle2work scheme and in a bid to encourage me to cylce to work more (9 miles each way) I've been researching electric kits to do this bike justice.

This is what I've ordered:-

Tongxin 190rpm hub with disc mount.
Lyen mini monster controller.
Thumb throttle + cruise control from Lyen.
Torque arm and dropout washers from ebikesca.

I will be ordering one of the 36v15ah lipo shrink wrap batteries from BMS battery on pay day.

All in the above should weigh in at 5.5kg - nice and light weight and should give me 25miles range, easily enough for my commute without a charge at work.

First to arrive was the motor which I acquired via ebay. I then ordered some Halo DB black spokes and a Mavic A-319 rim to lace it into.

Spokes in place.

It's been years since I built a wheel (worked at a bike shop when I was 15yrs to 19yrs old).

3hrs later and I'm quite happy with that - proof of the pudding will be riding it though!

That's it for now - waiting for delivery of the bike later this week then I can start looking at how to mount the controller and fitting the throttle/cruise control etc and start working out my cable runs.

More photos to follow as the build progresses.
Very neat job on the wheel! I hope it all works out well!
PS- I like the Westfield!

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
I've got a Tongxin 190. Its great ... How is the throttle going to work?... I thought you needed hall sensors for that? .... or does it have hall sensors? ... or is there another way to implement a throttle? ...

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
Nope - a sensorless will work off a throttle like any other sensorless hub. It's better/smoother if the hub is already rotating though if sensorless but as it's a Tongxin hub I don't intend to use the throttle from a standing start anyhow.

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Nope - a sensorless will work off a throttle like any other sensorless hub. It's better/smoother if the hub is already rotating though if sensorless but as it's a Tongxin hub I don't intend to use the throttle from a standing start anyhow.
I see. Thanks for clarifying that for me.

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
Doh! BMSbattery no longer list the Lipo shrinkwrap batteries.

Going to go for four 6s 5000mah Turnigy packs from HobbyKing plus associated hobby chargers (a pair).

Lets see what the Tongxins are like with 44v :)

Pedalo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2009
Looks like you bought the motor I sold. :)

I've been selling off most of my spare kit recently as I've been cycling 'unplugged' for the last few weeks. (and I never got round to buying a bike with disc brakes.)

Look forward to seeing how the project shapes up. Good luck with the build.

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
haha - though you'd be on here from the desc on the ebay acution :)

It's not going on a bike with disc brakes - aside from the wheel dishing it doesn't really matter ;-)

Nice to know it could transfer over to a bike with disc brakes in the future though.

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
Yay - cyeclesheme voucher arrived Wednesday so finsihed work early and picked up this from the LBS:-

As you can see, I've already fitted the accessories :)

Lyen controller, thumb throttle and cruise control also arrived a while ago:-

Nice small controller. Need to have a think about where to mount it - thinking about making a base plate that will mount to the seat tube with the bottle mounts then mounting the controller to that.

Fitted the handlebar controls:-

The cruise control fitted like a dream with no need to reposition the other controls. I had to be creative with the thumb throttle. You'll note that it twists backwards now - actually seems to work quite well - do twist throttle twist backwards? Needed to fit a lower profile clamping bolt to the brake leaver to ensure the sti down change leaver cleared it.

Trial fitted the built up motor/wheel. The Treks drop outs measured at 9.4mm and the hub shaft at 9.9mm so 1/2 an hour filing the hub shaft and it now fits a treat. Also had to elongate the torque arm mounting hole to be able to get a bolt into the eyelet.

That's it for now until I get a battery and can start wiring it all up - good news is BMS battery are now listing the shrink wrap lipos again so back to original plan of 36v15ah battery - just wish payday would hurry up!

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Very nice build that's coming along. 15ah battery will be plenty for an 18 mile round cycle!
Look forward to seeing the rest!

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
OK - so BMS battry cancelled my order - not enough parts to build my battery! grrr, why did it take amonth for them to tell me this. So ordered the following from Hobby King:-

Turnigy A-6-10 200W Balance charger
Turnigy T-20Pro Quality 16A Power Supply
EC3 Battery Harness 14AWG for 2 Packs in Series
2x EC3 Battery Harness 14AWG for 2 Packs in Parallel
EC3 plugs (10pairs/set)
Hobby King Battery Monitor 6S
4x ZIPPY Flightmax 5000mAh 6S1P 15C 4
Parallel charging Board for 6 packs 2~6S

Ordered 26th Sep, delivered yesterday (spent from 30th Sep held at customs but no charge!).

I love the smell of new hobby parts!

1st thing to do is check they fit the bag:-

Front flap doesn't come down as far as I wanted it to but no drama - I'll sew an extra patch of velcro on and I've got some wrap around straps to secure anyhow:-

Happy with that!

Didn't realise the packs came with HXT connectors else I'd have odered some XHT to EC3 converters! Oh well. As i don't want to wait I spent last night cutting off the connectors and soldering on the EC3 connectors and started individual balance charging on each pack. First three packs came delivered bang on 23v and the fourth 22.8v so seem ok at first glance. First pack charged to 25.2v and took 50mins at 4a charge rate. 2nd pack was still only at 24.88v after 70mins so I had to terminate that when I went to bed. I'll get a voltmenter on it tomorrow to double check before I start a new balance charge.

Once each pack is fully balanced charged then I'll just use the paraboard from then on.

So, jobs for tonight:-

1: Finish initial balance charges.
2: Mount controller.
3: Wire throttle and cruise to controller.
4: Wire in low voltage alarm (just going to wire into one of the paralell connections).
5: Wire battery pack to controller (I want to do an inline fuse - I have a 12v fues holder and fuses - what 12v fuse should I use for 44v/12amps?).

That's it for now - hoping a test ride isn't too far away :)

Last edited:

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Very similar to my setup except your running LVC and fuses. Which I can't be bothered with... Probably to my own detriment.

I prefere the Turnigy packs to the Zippys. There slightly larger but the balance lead wires are better and silicone so are easier to use with the balance board.

I've not used EC3 connections but use the Deans Unlta T shapped ones.

Get it all soldered up and get out there. Lipo makes for an awesome bike and the best bit about it is you can just add another 2 lipo's for some more range. My only issue with a 16amp power supply (I use an old Xbox one) is that the charging could be quicker for all 4 lipo's.

Its quite quick compared to the normal ebike batteries using the charger @ 190 watts taking roughly 2.5 hrs for a full charge but I know I could have brought a larger PSU and charger and get them all done in an hour which would be fantastic.

Hope it all works out and you get it up, running and safely having a bit of fun with it.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
For the 528 watts concerned, the 12 volt fuse needs to cover 44 Amps current at that low voltage, so a 12 volt 50 Amp fuse preferably.

You might just get away with a 40 Amp fuse, but carry spares if trying that.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
How much was the delivery from Hobbyking and did you buy direct from the DE warehouse?

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
I would strongly suggest you 'case' the battery pack with some SRBP/Paxolin sheet to offer a bit of puncture protection. I don't know where you intent to mount the batteries but they are very vulnerable to punctures and if you accidentally knock them or come off the bike they can be damaged with nasty consequences...

Mitch1960

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 3, 2011
This is all very interesting, amig' . . . .Thanks for the pics and the 'build ' story. 'Hope you keep posting it, M

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
Batteries all charged and I'm happy to report all packs balance well @ 25.2v each :beer:

Even with a paraboard though it's still a bit chaotic charging them!

next job was to get the front wheel onto the bike - fitted tyre+innertube first, then speedo sensor magnet then bolted to the front fork. The anti-torque bar fits really nicely. must remember to put an approprite sized spanner in the tool bag in case I get a puncture!

Next up a quick and dirty test of the motor - it lives!

VIDEO0004.mp4 video by amigafan2003 - Photobucket

23mph shown on the speedo :beer:

Next job is to spira wrap the throttle and motor wires and route them neatly to the controller and work out the best way to mount the battery bag.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Nicely done! You get used to the charging pattern and the paraboards are great.
It all becomes 2nd nature and its probably the safest way without wiring your self up a charging harness.

Whack it on, balance charge, 150min max with a 20'000mah max and leave it charging up, 2 hrs later job done. un hook and harness the bad boys back up and yor ready to go.

I think this setup up is probably the easiest and cheapest way to get a decent lipo setup.
Now get the bag hooked up and get out.

Just dont whack on the throttle mid corner in the wet ;-)