New folding project

jusmat01

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 25, 2021
Hi
A little advice if possible.
I put together a 20inch rear wheel project based on a an Aikema 100 (328 rpm version), KT controller and LCD4.
Things seem to be in the right place, and if I press the down button, I get walking assistance power......so all wired correctly.
If I pedal, the PAS light at the bottom bracket flashes OK. However I dont seem to get any power assist from peddling.

What am I missing???! LCD doesn't have many programming options that I can see....

Thanks.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
LCD4 has P & C parameters to change in the settings, I suspect the C1 value is incorrect for the PAS sensor fitted.
#1. Turn on the LCD and press the up & down pads at the same time within for 5 secs within 5 secs of turning on, the display will enter basic settings and flash , wheel spd, wheel size and mph or km/h. (use a quick press of the off button to toggle thru the menu in ech of the setting windows).
#2. Once finished the flashing stops and one has 5 secs again as in #1. to enter the P settings which one can make changes to P1 - P5.
#3 Once one has gone thru the 5 parameters the flashing stops and one again as in #1. one has 5 secs to enter the C settings here one would need to change C1 value to suit the PAS used (we need to know the PAS type used to tell you the value to use).

To exit the menu once C14 has stopped flashing, simply turn the off the display for the memory to retain the settings.

Before making any changes to P or C values, write them all down for reference.

Last edited:

jusmat01

May 25, 2021
Thanks the 2nd set of parameter settings are not well described so I would not have found them.
it’s a kt d12l if I remember the code correctly. A split disk with a red light….

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Before doing anything, does PAS operate if you back pedal ?
If so then one has to flip the magnet disc as the magnets have N or S pole.

C 1 value should be 02 if a 12 pole disc.

Reactions: Bonzo Banana

jusmat01

May 25, 2021
To feedback for other readers, back peddling had no effect. The PAS light flashed to show it was (apparently) sensing, and the P & C values were correct. I then connected the PAS across from my first bike project, and the bike tried to scoot across the garage. So it looks like the Kt d12L was duff, despite the flashing sensor light. New one ordered (obviously local not TBK). Just relieved its not the motor!!!

Nealh, many thanks for your help. Your support to this community is invaluable.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
With C1 I would have tried value 0 & 1 as well, but that said I had a 12 pole disc that I couldn't get to work properly so simply swapped it out for a 10 pole and adjust C1 to 1 and never had an issue again. I now use 10 pole discs all the time now as 12 poles just don't always play ball.

Glad you managed to sort it though by using logic.

jusmat01

May 25, 2021
Just to close the thread, the finished project. The d12l PAS never worked. I sourced 3 different ones including one in a sealed package which assured alignment. No joy. One of them worked intermittently, but a fraction of a mm shift resulted in loss of function. I decided that the right side pas would be more protected by the chain ring, so purchased a crank extractor and glued a Bz 10 c there, where it has been faultless. As I make short journeys on this I’ve got it hooked up to my 36v lawnmower battery which has saved a lot of cost and weight, and fits in the small bag with the controller.
D8280E84-1404-4066-A814-CCF481AA8028.jpeg05A2AE27-A929-4E66-AA17-A433A4739AA3.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: guerney

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The BZ10C is the one I have found always to be the best option, reliable and works all the time for me.