New Frame - what Headset do i need??

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
May be your issue is tyre type used and the tyre profile is just to deep.

My tyre profile is 38mm deep from the rim edge and 376mm from axle C/L to tyre outer edge.
That tyre measurement is roughly the same as mine within a couple of mm or so

but it`s this measurement of yours that`s important i think "My mesurements are C/L of BB ot C/L of axle in drop out 430mm. "
this new frame is only 425mm, that extra 5mm would make all the difference..

long story short, it has to go back, was trying to avoid that with building it all up and getting that headset installed etc etc, bit of a pain,
Anyhow many thanks for taking the time to measure up there..

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
Just before i packed the frame up i suddenly realised the wifes bike was also 700c, so i whipped out the back wheel and hey presto it fitted a dream!
It is all down to tyre profile, the supplier explained this was a Hybrid type frame not Boardmans MTB type which has a few more mm clearance.

Anyhow here`s the finished item with BBS HD installed.

IMG_20230708_155508948.jpg

Reactions: egroover and Oldie

Waspy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 8, 2012
providing you`ve disc brakes to begin with a set of bigger rotors is the best upgrade you could make for little money, no fade, stops you on a sixpence.
saneagle approves of this post :D

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
I've fitted many head-sets. All I use is a block of wood and a mallet.
I believe you, I really do.

If you want to rise above the primordial ooze, you can buy a cheap tool to properly press in the headset.
It simply consists of a length of threaded rod, some large washers and a couple of nuts
You can see from this extremely simple one.
s-l1600.jpg

The not only press in headsets, but also bottom brackets and bearings too.
These come from China, and its usually a few weeks for it to arrive, but they're a really good deal. The stepping on the press cup bit accomodate different sized openings/bearings, so theres zero chance of you hitting something you werent supposed too.

I've fitted many head-sets. All I use is a block of wood and a mallet.
Tell me you have a torque wrench at least :eek:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I believe you, I really do.

If you want to rise above the primordial ooze, you can buy a cheap tool to properly press in the headset.
It simply consists of a length of threaded rod, some large washers and a couple of nuts
You can see from this extremely simple one.
View attachment 52642

The not only press in headsets, but also bottom brackets and bearings too.
These come from China, and its usually a few weeks for it to arrive, but they're a really good deal. The stepping on the press cup bit accomodate different sized openings/bearings, so theres zero chance of you hitting something you werent supposed too.

Tell me you have a torque wrench at least :eek:
I have three torque wrenches, but I don't use any of them. I can't remember the last time I got one out of the drawer in mthe tool storage where they live. I didn't pay for them. I got two from work when they became surplus and I can't remember where I got the big one from.