New Gtech ebike

toulky

Just Joined
Jul 12, 2016
cornwall
32 miles and battery half full now, seems to be well suited to my riding style!.

It free wheels very nicely, saw 22mph down a gradual incline today with not pedalling required to maintain it. This maybe why my battery range has been so good. Saying that I had to pedal up the same incline to get home again!.
Joined this forum to get some information on the GTECH ebike . I am a member of several other forums and have to say my experience of the comments made by so called expert members here to be totally crass. Sarcastic, self opinionated, arrogant and rude is putting it politely. Seeing that GTECH offer a 14 day trial the said experts should trial the bike and then provide a opinion on the results.
I don't think so because they have negatively assessed the bike in their (expert) capacities.
I have one on 14 day trial. If its not fit for purpose then it goes back. A least I will have tested it !

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Joined this forum to get some information on the GTECH ebike . I am a member of several other forums and have to say my experience of the comments made by so called expert members here to be totally crass. Sarcastic, self opinionated, arrogant and rude is putting it politely. Seeing that GTECH offer a 14 day trial the said experts should trial the bike and then provide a opinion on the results.
I don't think so because they have negatively assessed the bike in their (expert) capacities.
I have one on 14 day trial. If its not fit for purpose then it goes back. A least I will have tested it !
Ooh charming. :D

I've tried one. Didn't particularly love it and neither did the owner who has had it for over 6 months.

Here's the thread about it. :)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
we can tell just from the spec of the batt motor what it would be like and tbh my local ebike shop will lend you any bike for a week to try it out even haibikes ect if they had one there that is in stock.

its under powerd and over priced but if you like it then keep it.

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
Just a non expert thought..
What happens to all the returned bikes? This applies to any product sold on a trial basis. Cos you cant re-sell it again as new.
They end up on eBay without a battery.....

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
Personally I think the more reviews by the end user we can get up on the internet the better (good or bad!).

I can see why some will be disappointed as you still have to put some effort in, for me though that is a bonus.

It strikes just the right balance with the assist (for me anyway)..

Rimi

Just Joined
Aug 10, 2016
East
I've got one too, I use it mainly for a 25 to 30 mile round trip commute two or three times a week, and always on maximum assist. I've had about 75 miles from 3 of its 4 bars, but have never run it flat.

It's not really very hilly where I live, but I'm 16.5 stone so it's being asked to work quite hard... I either pedal or coast most of the time and when I'm pedalling I'm working. I occasionally take a rest, back off on the pressure and let it do most of the work, but otherwise I just let it help me up the odd gradient and whisk me away from standing.

There's no noticeable drag from the motor and gearbox when the battery is switched off - which is something I was concerned about before buying.

Seems just the right balance to me too. I find myself riding at about 17/18mph on the flat spinning reasonably quickly. On my other bikes I'd probably be going a bit slower in the same places. The only thing I don't like is that there's nowhere to put a water bottle on it...

So overall I'm really impressed by it, but I can certainly see why it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea.

oldosc

Pedelecer
May 12, 2008
Old Osc
posted stuff before, Swopped my mountain bike in 2008 because Cornwall killed me (at 70)bought a Kalkhoff after joining Pedelacs. brilliant for 8 years 2500 miles, then at 78 and after some surgery, found my Beauty could not hack it. (bit heavy to put onto the bike rack, on the Hymer) Tried the Gtech, but no brainer for this part of cornwall(Hills) could not actually cycle out of the village, definately for flood planes .Have now bought an Emu bike, does all it says . Can cycle to Looe and back on one charge (look up Looe Hill)
The difference between the bikes is dramatic,one is in my opinion Trendy, Flash, Cool (whatever)
Emu is not as "Bella Figura" as the Kalkhoff, you would not want to wear your Armami suit ,but you do not need Lycra, and once you learn the technique it will take you anywhere (and looks good) Once you reach near 80 options close down a bit, but the Emu has put off the Bath chair for a few more years.
Having said that, two of the younger Villagers (bout 30) have tried it and decided to probably buy one to commute to Pymouth (unlike me they don't get a bus pass)

oldosc

Pedelecer
May 12, 2008
Old Osc
posted stuff before, Swopped my mountain bike in 2008 because Cornwall killed me (at 70)bought a Kalkhoff after joining Pedelacs. brilliant for 8 years 2500 miles, then at 78 and after some surgery, found my Beauty could not hack it. (bit heavy to put onto the bike rack, on the Hymer) Tried the Gtech, but no brainer for this part of cornwall(Hills) could not actually cycle out of the village, definately for flood planes .Have now bought an Emu bike, does all it says . Can cycle to Looe and back on one charge (look up Looe Hill)
The difference between the bikes is dramatic,one is in my opinion Trendy, Flash, Cool (whatever)
Emu is not as "Bella Figura" as the Kalkhoff, you would not want to wear your Armami suit ,but you do not need Lycra, and once you learn the technique it will take you anywhere (and looks good) Once you reach near 80 options close down a bit, but the Emu has put off the Bath chair for a few more years.
Having said that, two of the younger Villagers (bout 30) have tried it and decided to probably buy one to commute to Pymouth (unlike me they don't get a bus pass)

oldosc

Pedelecer
May 12, 2008
PS, We (Lady J and I are off to Spain, or Portugal, or somewhere next week for a few month, will write a proper review if any one is interested, on our return near Xmas.

Reactions: Twinkleten

Noizeman

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 13, 2016
Wirral
Old Osc
What model Emu bike did you get? The Pedelec review of the Emu said it didn't do very well on hills which is why I ask. My wife has a G-tech and she is very happy with it but it does seem to have less power than my bike, which is a Arc 'street' conversion kit on an old MTB, even though both are nominal 250 watts. To be fair, the G-tech is marketed as a 'city bike' and aimed at commuters, and in that respect it does what is says on the tin. I do like the look of the Emu, however, but I'm curious why it seems so much better on hills.

Noizeman

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 13, 2016
Wirral
What model Emu bike did you get? The Pedelec review of the Emu said it didn't do very well on hills which is why I ask. My wife has a G-tech and she is very happy with it but it does seem to have less power than my bike, which is a Arc 'street' conversion kit on an old MTB, even though both are nominal 250 watts. To be fair, the G-tech is marketed as a 'city bike' and aimed at commuters, and in that respect it does what is says on the tin. I do like the look of the Emu, however, but I'm curious why it seems so much better on hills.
Just to answer my own question, I guess the difference is obvious when you think about it (which I didn't) which is the G-tech has only one fixed gear ratio.

Reactions: D8ve

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
According to the Daily Express On-line today , 5,700 Customers have bought Gtech Ebikes in the year to September .