New member, no pedelec yet...

zalle

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2017
Portugal
Hi guys, I got into bikes 3 years ago, and I've got a couple of scott genius (I live in 2 different places), and I'm thinking about converting one of them to an e-bike.

I'm sure I'll get great advice from you guys!

Reactions: LeighPing
D

Deleted member 4366

Not the easiest bikes to convert. Post some pictures up so that we can see what version/s you have if you want any advice, and tell us what you want to do with it.

• Useful

zalle

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2017
Portugal
Hi, thanks for your reply.

The model I've got is the Genius MC30. One is 2007, like this one, but it's got SRAM x9, 3X9 gearing and a dior crank. Carbon frame:

My other one is version 2 of the same bike, it's a 2009 Genius 30, like this one, but mine's got SLX 3X9 gearing and a SRAM crank. Carbon frame:

I'm thinking about converting the 2009 one.

What I want is to travel a bit further with it and some help going uphill, I'm a bit overweight, and I really love going downhill, it's the uphill that kills me... :(

I'm still a bit overwhelmed with the power and voltage variations... 36v, 48v, 500w, 1000w, 250w, 9Ah, 12Ah, 14Ah...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

If you want it to be legal, the BBS01 with the 25 amp controller would be perfect. You can only get it from Em3ev.com, but nothing to worry about because they're a very good supplier, who helped Bafang develop the BBSxx kits wrt reliability.

The problem will be the battery. It looks a bit tight to get a standard one in the triangle. It's probably a good idea to get Jimmy (BGA reworking) to make you up a custom triangle one and put it in a triangle bag. If you're not bothered about legality, get their 50V BBSHD and their smaller triangle battery.

You need the gear sensor as well with either of them.

Which bike you convert depends on the bottom brackets. The blue one looks like a normal BB, but if the other one has a press fit BB, then you'll need to get someone to turn up some adaptors.

If the black one is carbon fibre, you have to mount the battery in a bag. A standard battery might fit in the blue one. You can't use dimensions on their own because you have to allow for the way the battery ramps in to its holder, so add about 20mm to the height and the length at the top corner.

Dims here:
https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-battery/730-36v10ah-bottle-09-e-bike-battery-charger-battery.html

https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-battery/778-48v116ah-case-08-bottle-panasonic-battery-pack-battery.html

zalle

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2017
Portugal
I can't use a rear hub motor on this one? Why is that?

By the way, my weight is around 85kg (187 pounds), what power should I go for? I'm not into speed, more int help going up...

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You can but a rear cst/ cassette hub will make the wheel and back heavier + 3kg for a Q100C/128C or 4.3kg for a Bafang, for downhill spokes will break and any jumps will add to the problem.
Crank drive will keep C of G central and lower, no need to worry about wheel building or spoke issues.

With cst / cassette hub you keep all your gears but end up with a rear end heavy bike.
With crank drive you loose the front triple and use a single 36 or 42 chain ring like a Lekkie bling ring,
though you can use the stock bbs one. With crank drive one front chain ring is plenty just depends on the gearing you need, there are 42t rear cassette options available if you need lower gearing.

Last edited:

zalle

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2017
Portugal
Ah... I see... That makes sense.

Thank you so much.

But how about ground clearance with the Bafang??

I'm leaning towards the a 500w 36v option. 36v batteries are cheaper. Would 500w be enough?

Last edited:

zalle

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2017
Portugal
OK, so I measured the triangle on the black one, and it's 39X20X37 cm it's pretty small.

How about a battery underneath the frame? Between the pedals and the front wheel?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
OK, so I measured the triangle on the black one, and it's 39X20X37 cm it's pretty small.

How about a battery underneath the frame? Between the pedals and the front wheel?
that could be the worst place to locate the battery.
I think if you put the HL battery inside a triangle bag, my XF08C kit would complement the bike well.The motor is in the rear, you keep the current crankset and gearset, the weight distribution is pretty good, wiring pretty neat and it's possibly the cheapest option too.
If you are not in a hurry, you can have the new 17.5AH HL battery with Panasonic 3500mAH cells in late June.

D

Deleted member 4366

I can't use a rear hub motor on this one? Why is that?
You can use anything you want, but everything has advantages and disadvantages.

if your black bike has through-axles, hub-motors are out.

Carbon fibre frames are not designed to withstand torque, so you need to fabricate something to anchor the motor's axle to stop it from spinning.

A hub-motor will decrease the ratio of sprung to unsprung mass, which will prevent the suspension from working properly.

Even the crank-drive's torque could damage your carbon fibre frame. You need to fabricate something to spread the load or shift it to a strong point.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
the XF08C is less brutal on startup compared to the SWX02 and BPM.
I can't see very well his pictures but the derailleur hanger on his 2009 Scott Genius 30 looks like a normal one.

zalle

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2017
Portugal

if your black bike has through-axles, hub-motors are out.

Carbon fibre frames are not designed to withstand torque, so you need to fabricate something to anchor the motor's axle to stop it from spinning.

A hub-motor will decrease the ratio of sprung to unsprung mass, which will prevent the suspension from working properly.

Even the crank-drive's torque could damage your carbon fibre frame. You need to fabricate something to spread the load or shift it to a strong point.
My bike has normal axles, but hey, I can convert the blue one... No worries, normal axles as well on that one.

About the torque issue, my idea is to use the motor to help me getting through hills, not to start riding like a motorbike. I've got 4 motorbikes for that...

D

Deleted member 4366

There'll be plenty of times that you want to use the full torque of the motor.

I think you will find it a lot easier to convert the aluminium framed bike: You don't need special adaptors for the BB; you don't need to make anything special to resist the torque; you don't need the special long shaft version of the motor, which is hard to get; and the motor will definitely fit in the BB.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
zalle, this is how it looks to have the battery under the downtube, the kit is the Woosh GSM, the bike is not carbon though (da bomb castle bravo).

D

Deleted member 4366

zalle, this is how it looks to have the battery under the downtube, the kit is the Woosh GSM, the bike is not carbon though (da bomb castle bravo).

The only sensible arrangement for a bike with a carbon frame is with the battery in a bag in the triangle, like this:

• Informative