New Project Started

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I've started a new project. AFAIK, what I'm doing hasn't been done before - not like I plan to do it, anyway. It'll start off fairly normal, then it'll get expanded, and finally, a bit of a twist in the tail. For a bit of entertainment, you can start guessing now. I'm not going to give any more clues nor will I confirm if anybody guesses correctly until it's complete, though for anyone following all my posts, there's a chance you could figure it out. I will show you photos as I make progress.

My 2WD Rocky Mountain will be re-purposed. There's a chance that it'll remain 2WD, though that depends on unknowns as it stands.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Tsdz2b. BB already removed.
Wonder what the twist night be though...

Three motors?

Last edited:

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
After 2 x half arsed feeling my way in the dark ebike 'builds' ( 1 x straight forward conversion, 1 x rebuild) it will be good to see how someone who knows what they are doing does it with a fancy base bike to build on.

• Agree
Reactions: guerney

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Looks like we may see a Tri - drive, though I noticed the tyre have been part removed . Possibly if 2wd then the front hub will go.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Is that why your front forks are turned 180 degrees?
I had a fight with all the cables when removing the battery box. That's how it ended up. The stem isn't clamped because it was stored in my shed with 6 other bikes. I store them with pedals removed and handlebars in line with the frame to save space.

AntonyC

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2022
Surrey
The bin gives it away, it's just another lightening project. The derailleur's no use for a reverse driven chain, the handlebars will be next to go and the reversed saddle mounted in their place. Hardly new though:

The forks are correct as is, that "fight with the cables" is just to throw us off the scent.
(Darned if I can find an image from Spezi of the Wiggle / Waggle / Twister bike or whatever it's called, with the saddle mounted on the steerer. This'll have to do.)

Reactions: Woosh

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Current draw of TSDZ2B mid-drive monitored and used to derive a throttle signal to controller(s) of one or two hub motors to give up to three motors all controlled by the torque sensor.

Sticky tyres to allow resultant performance to be harnessed for vertical ascents, with possible future addition of ceiling crossing ability.

Reactions: Woosh

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I just put the motor in to check the chainline. It looks pretty good in the middle gear.

I've now got to figure a way to stop the motor rotating around the BB. Since I moved, I've no longer got welding equipment, pieces of steel and all the other stuff I used to use for fabrication. Maybe I can make some sort of fillet between the frame and motor.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bikes4two

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
It is a new version motor. Additional anti rotation support shouldn't be necessary.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
It is a new version motor. Additional anti rotation support shouldn't be necessary.
Shouldn't be necessary - you're right there, but it is, unfortunately, because it's a FS bike and the corner of the lug on the motor hits the frame if it rotates around far enough, so I can't use the frame directly to resist the torque.

Reactions: Bikes4two

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
Ask somebody to 3d print you a chainring type design that you put on each side and bolt together. The discs are compressed by the motor, you could maybe use metal instead. One bolt goes through the top of the down tube and seat stay, one goes under the down tube Just an idea don't know if it will work.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Thanks fo the ideas, guys, but I'll probably use GRP, which is what I've used as a fillet on other projects in the past. Mix up some resin with a load of cut strands. Add some micro-balloons to make it a bit lighter. Put it in a freezer bag and squish it in place until set. When it's set, take it out and grind the outside faces to look nice. I thought of printing something, but it''l take me hours to get the designed shape right and it won't be as strong.

I now have another problem to solve, though I can already think of a few possible solutions. The conversions they do on the kit websites never work out like this. why's that?

I need to find a shorter stem too, otherwise the weight in the basket will act like a pedelum and I won't be able to ride in a straight line.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
The conversions they do on the kit websites never work out like this. why's that?
I ask myself the same question. They put white gloves on and two minutes later all is done.

...it took me over a week to find right washers LOL

BTW, are you going to replace software? I heard TSDZ2 is not so good with original software.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
I must say I am a little bit disappointed by choice of a motor. Why not Tsdz8 and first in depth review on our Forum?