New to the scene

Steed

Pedelecer
Nov 5, 2016
Lincolnshire
Hello all,

I have been aware of this forum for some time, but feel I can participate with some (novice) legitimacy now I have an e bike! Wanting a more natural cycling experience I opted for a centre drive bike and not being overly interested in off road antics, chose a fully kitted out Kalkhoff. It has 8 speed hub gears, dynamo lights, full mudguards, carrier etc. It is a late 2012 crossbar Agattu model with a 15 Ah battery, which does seem to still have full capacity if the test lights are correct. After riding on local roads and bridleways for 15 miles today, 3 of the 5 battery lights remain illuminated so plenty of range for my anticipated use. The riding position is very comfortable, at a typical (for me) 12/15 mph in 8th gear on the flat, there is very little motor noise and I have to say the hydraulic rim brakes are superb - at least as good as the Shimano disks on my previous unassisted cycle. The one thing I am worried about is punctures. The tyres fitted are Continental Touring Plus with plenty of tread. I was informed they are highly puncture resistant - fingers crossed. I have pumped them up hard.

Any observations or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: LeighPing

Steed

Pedelecer
Nov 5, 2016
Lincolnshire
Thank you for the welcome!

I will take some pictures (several cameras!) when next out and about. Videos are also something I might like to get to grips with to record my rides. There is a bewildering range out there. Huge price variations, Bar mounted and camera mounted and so on. Will have to do some homework.

Any recommendations re bag (for tools, camera etc) to fit on the carrier? I know there are loads on the market but being a bit out in the sticks physically trying them is not an easy option so a recommendation would be valued.

Steed

Pedelecer
Nov 5, 2016
Lincolnshire
Thank you for the info on the camcorder that you use on your handle bars (amongst other things!), I will see what is available. Looking for ease of use and good battery life as well as reasonable image quality. Any use in low light conditions?

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Welcome Steed. Every time I saw the thread title I couldn't help but think of VW's
To think e-bikes are now as prestigious as the VW scene :)

Steed

Pedelecer
Nov 5, 2016
Lincolnshire
Thanks for the welcome Artstu.

I didn't realise there was a "VW Scene"- googled it so now I know!

Given VW's recent debacle I reckon any prestige is all for e bikes(certainly emissions wise).:)

Steed

Pedelecer
Nov 5, 2016
Lincolnshire
My bike has the Impulse 1 motor which I understand was reliable.
The bike is on its original motor and had done approximately 2,500 miles when I acquired it. It remains smooth and quiet. I am quite gentle with it when accelerating and particularly changing gear (stop pedalling and then resume slowly) as I was instructed. I presume you have not been as fortunate?

Steed

Pedelecer
Nov 5, 2016
Lincolnshire
6.png 5.png
You don't have a camera.

Seriously, welcome aboard and enjoy your bike. Pics or videos are always welcome here. :)
OK - remembered to take a few photos of my ride out today. Just a short (10 miles) along the former Boston to Lincoln railtrack which is now a Sustrans long distance route. Photos of my bike at a couple of interesting points along the way.6.png 5.png

Steed

Pedelecer
Nov 5, 2016
Lincolnshire
More like rusty goats!

Some of the "arty" sculptures and the like along these railway trails are very realistic (from 50 yards), but the sheep were still there when I returned via the same route and thought a photo might be in order!!

Glad a few of you liked the pictures - not very intrepid e-cycling when compared to others but it suits me fine.

Steed

Pedelecer
Nov 5, 2016
Lincolnshire
Glad you like the photos. The sculptures are metal and were made at a local forge. Here are 2 more taken on the same ride yesterday. So strange to be cycling along the railway7.png 9.png track bed imagining the scene 50 years ago when steam locos would have been making the same journey and then happening on the artwork - surreal!

Wingreen

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2015
Anglesey
Hello all,

The one thing I am worried about is punctures.
Punctures can be a problem - especially taking into account all the wiring/connections on an e-bike. I found the Gaadi inner tube (a straight section of tubular rubber sealed at each end) to be really useful. Only had to use it once but now I always carry one when out on a long cycle ride. Not cheap but, coupled with a CO2 inflator, takes most of the worry out of getting a puncture.
http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/product-news/rubena-introduces-bicycle-inner-tube-can-fitted-without-removing-wheel-133637
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gaadi-Double-Ended-Bicycle-Inner-Tube-size-26-x-1-90-2-25-schrader-40mm-valve-/321584080750?hash=item4adfe7a76e:g:jaEAAOSwAF5UZHcO

• Useful

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
People like the sculptures except when they are proposed and the cost is mentioned. Then is another story.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
That sculpture in the green top is so life like.

• :D
Reactions: mw1 and LeighPing