non-folder to fit in the boot?

Dai Gleddau

Pedelecer
Jan 6, 2024
Pembrokeshire
Still researching which ebike to get....
I'm looking for an ebike of shortish overall length (about 175cm max), so with front-wheel removed, it will fit in the car. For lots of reasons, I don't want to have to use a bike-rack.
Roughest riding I do is forest trails (not serious mountain biking). I think 26" wheels is about the smallest I'd tolerate.
So far, most bikes I've looked at are a touch too long.
And of course, I don't want to spend too much!
Any ideas appreciated (except for "get a bigger car!")?

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
I have super mini and was transporting two bikes with front wheels removed. I prefer rack though. Weight might be bigger problem than size.

Reactions: Dai Gleddau

Dai Gleddau

Pedelecer
Jan 6, 2024
Pembrokeshire
I have super mini and was transporting two bikes with front wheels removed. I prefer rack though. Weight might be bigger problem than size.
Yes weight could be an issue. I currently manage to get our old all-steel MTBs (18kg) in and out of the car OK and I'm hoping that with battery removed an ebike shouldn't be too much heavier. But most ebikes I've looked at seem to be longer wheelbase and wouldn't fit. I might have to just get a rack though rather than compromise on the bike.
If I had shorter legs I could move the driver's seat forward and fit a bigger bike.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
... and if I did a conversion I'll finally retire the Apollo and get a suitable donor-bike!
Great.

...I will tell you a secret: As forum member you are entitled to get TSDZ8 motor at discounted price. It is theoretically a great motor:

I just got mine delivered few minutes ago.

Dai Gleddau

Pedelecer
Jan 6, 2024
Pembrokeshire
I suggest the EcoRider City Cruiser It's got a shorter overall length, around 170cm, so it should fit in your car, and It's got 26" wheels too, which should handle those forest trails just fine. The best part, It's budget-friendly.
Sounds promising... do you have a link?
When I Google "EcoRider City Cruiser" I just get quad-bikes and scooters.
Thanks!

Dai Gleddau

Pedelecer
Jan 6, 2024
Pembrokeshire
OK folks, thanks very much for all the tips and advice. Here's what I'm thinking of doing...
Get a new lightweight alloy-framed 26" MTB-style of reasonable quality:
e.g. Claud Butler Edge HT (14kg)
Electrify with a Woosh conversion kit: front wheel drive, 20AH downtube battery.
So, with front-wheel and battery removed, weight for manhandling in and out of car is minimised.
And that size battery should give me as much range as I'll ever want.
Pros & cons with FWD, but for my intended usage (country-lanes & forest-trails), I'm thinking it will be OK.
And the installation should be simple.

What do you reckon?

Dai Gleddau

Pedelecer
Jan 6, 2024
Pembrokeshire
Assuming this is a 48V kit, I doubt you'd need such a large capacity battery. How far do you intend to go on one charge and will you put work into the pedals or not?
36V kit (so 720WH battery). Will not be using it for commuting but for days out leisure cycling around the hilly lanes and forest tracks of Wales. Agree, battery is probably more than I'll ever need but my thought is that's better than worrying about running out of juice?

RollingChunder

Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2023
better than worrying about running out of juice?
Yes you are right it is good to go for more capacity than you'll need mainly as this extends the battery's life as it stays in the 100-50% range all the time. If you don't mind spending the extra than it's no problem getting the bigger battery, slightly more weight but not noticeable. But I think a 13-17ah battery will give no discernible difference to you and will be a big cost saving.

If on the rare occasion you want to do a massive 50 mile tour, it will still be possible you just have to turn down the assist! Basically, it's more sensible to determine your average watt hour usage in one outing and oversizing that, rather than your maximum possible journey ever and oversizing still because soon as you start putting work in the pedals the range goes off the charts.

So, with front-wheel and battery removed
On this note, a front wheel hub motor is harder to remove than a quick release mtb front wheel. I don't know if you need a torque arm for 250w on the front but if you do it will become a hassle taking on and off. Simple with tools of course!

Dai Gleddau

Pedelecer
Jan 6, 2024
Pembrokeshire
Thanks... I was assuming that to remove the front wheel I'll just need to release the V-brakes, and then undo the nuts on the axle (I'm used to doing this with my old MTB today) and then just disconnect the cable to the motor. But I'll have a good look at the fitting instructions to see if I've missed anything.

I'll also have a think about battery size.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Conversion? Great. Best way to get good value for money e-bike.

Front wheel conversion on MTB? Please don't. Trust me, I have one. Rear hub or best mid drive. Rear hub should be enough for your needs, but your appetite will grow. Do it once, do it right.