Oh no..More problems with throttle interference with PAS

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
Just bought a brand new wuxing 108x throttle for my bbs01. Works perfectly .But soon as i try an ride with PAS the bikes power is going along ,on off ,on off, on off.Disconnect throttle and PAS perfect again.
In previous threads i detailed how the original throttle and a replacement sent by Eclipse bikes. Both had worked without causing any problem with the PAS. UNTIL they both got a couple drenchings in the rain. After that they both caused the same issue with the PAS.Tho not as bad. This throttle is new.First time fitted.
Could this be a controller fault? Could it be the bus cable? One of the brake sensor wires in the bus cable stopped working a while back.The brake sensors both work on the other wire.
Ive tried smoothing any kinks on bus cable .Checked for loose connections in controller .Disconnected re connected all the cables,checked connectors are clean. Im very disheartened,wasnt expecting this...at a loss ,can anyone offer me some advice please. Much thanks

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Might be the throttle voltage range has been programmed slightly wrong, or needs tweaking with the new throttle. If the throttle is providing the wrong amount of voltage signal at rest, then it will play havoc with the PAS.

Unless you already have one, grab a programming cable off eBay and take a look at the controller settings. The throttle 'Start Voltage' is worth checking!

Last edited:

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
Might be the throttle voltage range has been programmed slightly wrong, or needs tweaking with the new throttle. If the throttle is providing the wrong amount of voltage signal at rest, then it will play havoc with the PAS.

Unless you already have one, grab a programming cable off eBay and take a look at the controller settings. The throttle 'Start Voltage' is worth checking!
if its the throttle programming setting,surely it would have been playing up from the beginning fordulike.The original and replacement didnt interfere with the PAS until after they both got a soaking. Ive never altered any controller settings (or any settings) .I do have a programming cable but no laptop unfortunately. I will try an test the throttle voltage at rest.Not easy with the juliot connectors.Its supposed to be under 1 volt isnt it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fordulike

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall

hi fordulike ,the new and old throttles when connected to the bbs.Have normal 0.85v at rest .Rising to 3.95v on full.So its not the throttles themselves, or it seems ever has been ,causing this.But the PAS is fine when no throttle is connected. Anyone any ideas much appreciated.

Last edited:

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
hi fordulike ,the new and old throttles when connected to the bbs.Have normal 0.85v at rest .Rising to 3.95v on full.So its not the throttles themselves, or it seems ever has been ,causing this.But the PAS is fine when no throttle is connected. Anyone any ideas much appreciated.
Glad you ruled that out. I'm out of ideas, so hopefully there'll be some more suggestions from peeps, so you can get to the root of the problem.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
I think you have reached a point where a replacement controller has become your only option unless you can live with PAS OR throttle, but not both together. I have some experience of the BBS drives and have had similar problems following water ingress and a new controller has been the solution.

• Agree
Reactions: Fordulike

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
I think you have reached a point where a replacement controller has become your only option unless you can live with PAS OR throttle, but not both together. I have some experience of the BBS drives and have had similar problems following water ingress and a new controller has been the solution.
thanks pete .You may have read a couple of my previous threads where i detailed how the PAS had stopped working completely for 2 weeks after the rain/throttle issue. Eclipse offered to send a new controller ( its under warrenty ).But i told them to wait when the PAS sprang back to life. Guess theres stuff that goes wrong with them ,other than the blown mosfets then...

Electric Bike Rider

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 27, 2018
Wales
My pas stopped working too with error 12h so I unplugged then re-plugged the pas connector but this did not work.

To get it working again I had to clean all the silicone and then after that wasn't enough had to bend the pins a bit with a screwdriver before plugging back in.

This has so far fixed things.

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
My pas stopped working too with error 12h so I unplugged then re-plugged the pas connector but this did not work.

To get it working again I had to clean all the silicone and then after that wasn't enough had to bend the pins a bit with a screwdriver before plugging back in.

This has so far fixed things.
thanks ebr,my PAS been working fine for weeks ,only plays up when one of the throttles is connected.Nevertheless ive just checked but all is good with the connecter.Its a throttle interference prob. As wheeliepete says i think im maybe looking at a controller fault.

D

Deleted member 4366

I can't see it being a controller fault. The 5v and ground are shared with the PAS. That only leaves the signal wire, which is a straight forward connection straight through a resistor to the CPU, so the only thing that could affect it is the software, but I can't see how a software failure would only manifest itself only when the throttle is connected. If a fault developed in the software, most likely nothing would work.

If you open the controller, you can measure what's happening to the 5v and throttle signal when you connect the throttle. That'll probably give you a clue to the fault.

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
I can't see it being a controller fault. The 5v and ground are shared with the PAS. That only leaves the signal wire, which is a straight forward connection straight through a resistor to the CPU, so the only thing that could affect it is the software, but I can't see how a software failure would only manifest itself only when the throttle is connected. If a fault developed in the software, most likely nothing would work.

If you open the controller, you can measure what's happening to the 5v and throttle signal when you connect the throttle. That'll probably give you a clue to the fault.
Thanks d8veh ill check that.So im connecting the tester to the PAS wires. see what readings i get when activating the PAS and again after i connect the throttle.That sort of thing ?

D

Deleted member 4366

Thanks d8veh ill check that.So im connecting the tester to the PAS wires. see what readings i get when activating the PAS and again after i connect the throttle.That sort of thing ?
That's the idea, and do the same to the throttle wires. Check both the 5v wires before and after attaching the throttle, then, after attaching the throttle, see what happens on the throttle signal wire when you twist the throttle.

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
That's the idea, and do the same to the throttle wires. Check both the 5v wires before and after attaching the throttle, then, after attaching the throttle, see what happens on the throttle signal wire when you twist the throttle.
hi d8veh i think ive tested everything. The throttle stays at 4.72v on the 5v. 0.85v to 3.95v on the signal.
The PAS is 4.85v on the 5v. The signal is 0v.However if i move the crank a couple mm in either direction it changes to 4.95v .Another tiny move and back to 0v and so on.Thats without activating the PAS and regardless of throttle connected or not.
When i activate PAS the PAS signal wire is around 2.4v.If i keep turning peddles and activate throttle there is a couple seconds drop in power ,then the motor speeds up .Voltage stays same.If i stop cranking but keep throttle on ,the voltage on the PAS signal jumps around between 1 - 5v for few seconds then drops to 0v.The PAS 5v stays at 4.85v.
If i move crank couple mm so to make the PAS signal read 4.95v and activate the throttle,the voltage jumps around and then goes to 0v.However if i hold the crank it stays at 4.95v while the throttle spins the wheel .
Im hoping you or anyone else with the tech knowledge can tell me if this is all normal or not .Much thanks

D

Deleted member 4366

Each time a magnet in the PAS passes the hall sensor/s the signal jumps to 5v, so you should see the PAS signal pulsing when the crank moves. Obviously, if a magnet is resting close to the sensor, a small amount of movement will swing the signal.

Can you tell us which controller you have?

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
Each time a magnet in the PAS passes the hall sensor/s the signal jumps to 5v, so you should see the PAS signal pulsing when the crank moves. Obviously, if a magnet is resting close to the sensor, a small amount of movement will swing the signal.

Can you tell us which controller you have?
hi d8veh ,its the 350w bbs01b 18 amp. Do these readings sound normal to you ? Once the peddles are turning the signal wire voltage just hovers around 2.4v give or take 0.1v doesnt pulse to 5v. The throttles only seem to cause this annoying on off thing with the PAS at lower speed.Once the bikes going over 12mph or so it goes away. Comes back randomly if ive stopped and am setting off again.Thanks

D

Deleted member 4366

2.4 v is the average of 5v and 0v when it's pulsing quickly.

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
Could this be a controller fault? Could it be the bus cable? One of the brake sensor wires in the bus cable stopped working a while back.The brake sensors both work on the other wire.
I`ll go for a fault/water ingress in your wiring loom, it looks like there has already been a problem in there.
Try another loom first, it`s going to be a cheaper option than a controller.

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
I`ll go for a fault/water ingress in your wiring loom, it looks like there has already been a problem in there.
Try another loom first, it`s going to be a cheaper option than a controller.
thanks tommie ,i keep wondering if one of the brake wires in the loom stopping working ,is trying to tell me something. Its still covered by warrenty ,i will contact Eclipse bikes.They already offered to send a replacement controller,a while back.I told them i wanted to be sure first.