Old chap looking for e-bike that looks nice and handles like a proper bike

wheatear

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 14, 2016
Hampshire
I'm old. I was a cyclist once, and would like to be one again, in a very modest sort of way. But as soon as I meet the slightest incline, I fall apart. So an e-bike seemed ideal.

Took my first look today at a Gazelle bike. Found the handling scary and the bike nothing like what I'd hoped for.

Then surfing this evening, I found the Gtech. Looks perfect. Neat, minimal, looks like a proper bike. But gets trashed here.

So what should I be looking at? Usage will be country lanes on nice days, seldom more than about 15 miles. Not much in the way of hills. What is vital is that it handles like a proper bike, not a Dutch shopper. Would prefer a hub gear and maybe even an encased chain, as at this point in my life I have little inclination to deal with derailleurs and clag. That's why the Gtech seemed so attractive.

D

Deleted member 4366

Get a Gtech then. You can send it back if you don't like it. The Gtech is fine for what it does. What it doesn't do is carry fatties up steep hills or go a long way, or go anywhere without pedalling.

Tigergreen

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 25, 2016
Plymouth
When I was test riding bikes I chose different style bikes with different systems to see how they compared.
One of those was the Raleigh Strada road bike which uses the Shimano STEPS system incorporating a crank drive motor and 8 speed hub with automatic electronic shifting (you can manually override if you wish)
I was impressed with it and the automatic gear changing was a hoot!
However, at £2000 it is double the price of the Gtech.
There is a short review of the Strada here
http://ebiketips.co.uk/content/reviews/electric-bikes/first-ride-raleigh-strada-e-29

Andy.

• Useful
Reactions: LeighPing

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Then surfing this evening, I found the Gtech. Looks perfect. Neat, minimal, looks like a proper bike. But gets trashed here.
Only gets trashed because of the poor specification, average motor, small battery and no gears.

The same price can buy a sound e-bike with a more powerful motor, a range of gears and a larger battery.

I think you should try one or two more e-bikes before buying, few will ride like a normal bike for various reasons, so it's as well to ensure you're happy with what they can do first.

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
Nothing wrong with the Gtech, try one and send it back if you don't like it ;).

Search for my review, it doesn't ride itself but you can lean on it when you hit wind or hills and it does the job. It doesn't ride itself though, it's not a moped but an electric "assist".

I've had man-flu all week and it's proven itself to be a godsend, used for the daily work commute..

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
Someone commented today about the weight as well after picking it up, it's very nimble at 16kg ;).

• Agree

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
The closest to natural feel might be a racer with a lightweight front hub motor, torque sensing crank and rear hub gears.
That will give you a natural feel just with younger legs. Ramp the assist up or down to match your needs.
The shimano or bosh crank drives can also give a natural feel but at an increased cost.

• Informative

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Old chap looking for e-bike that looks nice and handles like a proper bike
there is the £929 Woosh Karoo. It has 8-speed and 13AH battery, more than twice the battery capacity of the Gtech.
rides like a proper unassisted bike, lots of people get more than 70 miles from a full charge.

http://wooshbikes.co.uk?karoo

electrickery

Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2015
fife scotland
if you have hills to go up..the woosh.. GTECH is only single gear but light...good if you want to work a bit I feel but considering the op post
" But as soon as I meet the slightest incline, I fall apart." gears help even on hub motor ebike .