Ongoing reliability of Kalkhoff/Focus Impulse 2 motors

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Looks to me as if the OP has left the building, possibly a forced ejection given his profile now comes up as 'Guest'.

Few ebikes have immobilizers, although you can remove the display on Bosch and Yamaha crank drive bikes, so a thief would have to ride away unpowered.

Which presumably a thief could also do with a Stromer.

The Bosch displays are not coded, so a thief could get the bike going if he bought, sorry, stole a display from another bike.

No doubt you've researched the Stromer, but I'd recommend a test ride.

One passed me which had a surprisingly noisy motor.
... So always take your bosch display away with you. It is light, small and 100 euro to replace .. and might help someone else (me perhaps) from having their entire bike nicked. It takes only a second to remove. Bosch supply a locking screw to make it harder to fit and remove but better just to remove it.

• Informative
Reactions: Perseus

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
If you are looking for range the Bosch 500 battery is poor unless you run it on eco assist or at the most tour.Riese and Muller have a bike in their range that has two Bosch 500 batteries in the frame but it has a very high price tag.
Getting closer to the real performance now. Test ride of 6 miles in typical conditions used a quarter of the battery capacity if the dial is indicative. That is a mere 24 miles, not the 50 or so inferred at. It might only just about be enough.

nemesis

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2011
Getting closer to the real performance now. Test ride of 6 miles in typical conditions used a quarter of the battery capacity if the dial is indicative. That is a mere 24 miles, not the 50 or so inferred at. It might only just about be enough.
What was the model tested and what size was the battery in ah.

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
What was the model tested and what size was the battery in ah.
Beat Bike Toba
BATTERY PACK: 17 AH, 36 Volt (make not specified)
MOTOR: Impulse 2.2 250 Watt, 36 Volt

I learnt with the Cyclamatic that the range was almost exactly half of what was claimed. Tests showed it did 9 miles undulating, not 18 miles claimed.

That is for an 11 stone rider.

Last edited:

nemesis

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2011
Beat Bike Toba
BATTERY PACK: 17 AH, 36 Volt (make not specified)
MOTOR: Impulse 2.2 250 Watt, 36 Volt

I learnt with the Cyclamatic that the range was almost exactly half of what was claimed. Tests showed it did 9 miles undulating, not 18 miles claimed.

That is for an 11 stone rider.
I`m the same weight and my focus jarifa had the impulse S class 350w motor,on a full charge the 17Ah battery was showing a range of 75 km on the console at my chosen assist setting and it was very accurate.
I always used the next to highest assist level.The focus was fairly light and had slick tyres fitted.

• Informative
Reactions: Perseus

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
I`m the same weight and my focus jarifa had the impulse S class 350w motor,on a full charge the 17Ah battery was showing a range of 75 km on the console at my chosen assist setting and it was very accurate.
I always used the next to highest assist level.The focus was fairly light and had slick tyres fitted.
= 47 miles.

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
Perseus if you want range and reliability....
It looks out of my price range. Looking for a utility style. I am not a fan of suspension bikes. PS: I might go to the shop this week. I will buy local.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
The Delite is well worth the price charged.

brunobensaid

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 17, 2017
paris
When did you buy the bike? When was the motor replaced? Are you saying that it clacked with the new motor immediately (after zero km).
bought the bike in Octobre 2016 and received it in Novembre 2016. Found out about the problem rapidly and had the engine changed in Decembre (I did not ask for the engine to be swapped, it is the reseller who suggested this solution, and I agreed). Problem did not go away. I sent the bike back and expecting a financial settlement hopefully rapidly

brunobensaid

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 17, 2017
paris
Looks to me as if the OP has left the building, possibly a forced ejection given his profile now comes up as 'Guest'.

Few ebikes have immobilizers, although you can remove the display on Bosch and Yamaha crank drive bikes, so a thief would have to ride away unpowered.

Which presumably a thief could also do with a Stromer.

The Bosch displays are not coded, so a thief could get the bike going if he bought, sorry, stole a display from another bike.

No doubt you've researched the Stromer, but I'd recommend a test ride.

One passed me which had a surprisingly noisy motor.
Thanks Rob, very useful. I will definitely do a test ride. I am quite baffled that engine / diplay vendors have not worked out proper theft solutions. Stromer did not invent anything but seems like the first one to have implemented some of these solutions. In the case of the stromer theft, riding unpowered is possible, but at some point, the thief will power up and bike be located since the sim will re-start communicate the GPS location once powered up. definitely interested in checking the rear-mounted engine and possible noise on the ST1X. might also wait a few months for the next gen of Bosch engines 2017 being mounted on new bikes in the 2018 vintage from Gazelle, Moustake, Giant etc. more choice I hope than Stromer only. Again, thanks.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i doubt we see any jumps that big until the new 2170 cells come out otherwise why have the dual battery kit.

even so i bet it will be well after 2020 b4 we get them in ebikes, they just cant make them fast enough atm.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Thanks Rob, very useful. I will definitely do a test ride. I am quite baffled that engine / diplay vendors have not worked out proper theft solutions. Stromer did not invent anything but seems like the first one to have implemented some of these solutions. In the case of the stromer theft, riding unpowered is possible, but at some point, the thief will power up and bike be located since the sim will re-start communicate the GPS location once powered up. definitely interested in checking the rear-mounted engine and possible noise on the ST1X. might also wait a few months for the next gen of Bosch engines 2017 being mounted on new bikes in the 2018 vintage from Gazelle, Moustake, Giant etc. more choice I hope than Stromer only. Again, thanks.

... I can agree with you, there are only a few manufacturers of quality ebike motor systems and it would be very feasible to reduce the illicit second hand market for these. The battery packs, the display units and the motors are all serial numbered ... I was requested by Raliegh to provide them when seeking my warranty, so it would be very feasible for the manufacturer to retain these on a database. You may note that a version of the original Kindle had a free 3g gsm module embedded enabling the owner to access free email and download books whilst away from a WiFi link., This is a global service and is included in a product which only coated 30euro more than the non gsm version, if memory serves.
Those companies eg Yamaha, Bosch etc could easily have a lockout code sent on request by the original owner disabling the motor if Notified of theft.
Incidentally the Motus uses the same key to lock the battery pack and a rear wheel lock... A nice touch.

Last edited:
Reactions: brunobensaid