Oxygen Scross MTB ongoing review

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
can you confirm that there is resistance when you spin the wheel by hand at the end of the video in both directions, forward and backward?

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
can you confirm that there is resistance when you spin the wheel by hand at the end of the video in both directions, forward and backward?
If I was looking for strong resistance, then no....but forward there feels like nothing, apart from a bit of I guess disc rub?....backwards, yes there does feel to be some resistance, but I would assume thats due to the chain and pedals being turned...Im really not sure to be honest. It doesnt feel anything different to when Ive had the bike up on the stand and turning the wheel for cleaning or gear adjustment etc

D

Deleted member 4366

I stand corrected. You need to apply for magician of the year. You have two abnormal conditions for that to happen. Your clutch is stuck and the motor is turning backwards. Your clutch could have already been stuck, but you didn't notice. You free them off by whacking the tyre in the forward direction with a big hammer or mallet. It normally takes two or three whacks. You can tell that the clutch is stuck when the wheel feels the same whether you rotate it forwards or backwards.

The spinning backwards is trickier. Normally you can reverse a motor by swapping any two phase wires and one of the two possibilities of two hall wires that are not the two colours of the phase wires to see which one works, i.e. green and blue phase wires and yellow and blue or yellow and green hall wires; however, you can't do that with your connectors and shouldn't need to.

D

Deleted member 4366

Another thing: What happens if you hold the wheel and open the throttle? is it just a bit of friction that's driving the wheel, and if you hold it, the motor just whirrs?

D

Deleted member 4366

Just a long-shot. Forget the throttle. Take the battery off and discharge the capacitor, like before. Put the battery back on, select level one and turn the pedals. You probably want to hold the pedal lightly in case it flips backwards. Do it with the bike upside-down or lifted off the ground somehow.

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Ok will try that now.
I can easily stop the wheel turning with my hand with the throttle on...it just stops...no noise from the motor

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Ok..
That's like pedalling up a steep hill...it didn't snap back, just a lot of resistance
Just a long-shot. Forget the throttle. Take the battery off and discharge the capacitor, like before. Put the battery back on, select level one and turn the pedals. You probably want to hold the pedal lightly in case it flips backwards. Do it with the bike upside-down or lifted off the ground somehow.

D

Deleted member 4366

So, it seems that your clutch is free and it's just friction that's turning the wheel, which means one less problem to solve. You need another motor to see whether it's the motor that's causing the controller to send it backwards or whether the controller has flipped somehow.

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
So, it seems that your

clutch is free and it's just friction that's turning the wheel, which means one less problem to solve. You need another motor to see whether it's the motor that's causing the controller to send it backwards or whether the controller has flipped somehow.
Im being thick obviously.....doesnt the clutch need to be engaged to turn the wheel?

Really appreciate your help Dave, Ill give Dale a ring tomorrow and see what we can do next.

D

Deleted member 4366

Im being thick obviously.....doesnt the clutch need to be engaged to turn the wheel?
Not to turn the wheel, but it does have to be engaged to give real power. You wouldn't be able to hold the wheel still if the clutch were engaged and the motor running. With the wheel on the ground, doesn't the motor just whirrr?

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
No...if the weight of the bike on the ground, it barely moves.
You can hear a slight hum coming from it, then it gives up and stops trying.
Not to turn the wheel, but it does have to be engaged to give real power. You wouldn't be able to hold the wheel still if the clutch were engaged and the motor running. With the wheel on the ground, doesn't the motor just whirrr?

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
if the motor has lost power, check your Hall sensors first.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
it is not difficult to do. Follow the motor lead to the controller.
You have 9 wires, 3 fat wires are the phase wires, carrying the power to the motor. The white thin wire is the speed sensor, the 5 remaining wires are:
black: ground
red: 4.3V supply
yellow: H1
Green: H2
Blue: H3
Switch on the LCD then measure the voltage between ground, H1, H2 and H3 in turn.
Ask someone to help you turn the motorwheel very slowly backward to engage the clutch and therefore the rotor.
You should see the voltage reading swings from 0V to 3.3V.
If it does not reach either 0V or 3.3V, the corresponding Hall may have gone or rust has deposited thickly over the sensor.
Replacing Hall sensors is inexpensive, only takes time.

• Informative
Reactions: Andy Bluenoes

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
it is not difficult to do. Follow the motor lead to the controller.
You have 9 wires, 3 fat wires are the phase wires, carrying the power to the motor. The white thin wire is the speed sensor, the 5 remaining wires are:
black: ground
red: 4.3V supply
yellow: H1
Green: H2
Blue: H3
Switch on the LCD then measure the voltage between ground, H1, H2 and H3 in turn.
Ask someone to help you turn the motorwheel very slowly backward to engage the clutch and therefore the rotor.
You should see the voltage reading swings from 0V to 3.3V.
If it does not reach either 0V or 3.3V, the corresponding Hall may have gone or rust has deposited thickly over the sensor.
Replacing Hall sensors is inexpensive, only takes time.
Thanks Tony...thats nice and clear.
I would need to strip the plugs off to get to find the correct coloured wires? I assume I get them to turn the wheel backwards becasue its going the wrong way?
If a hall sensor is faulty, would that be the likely cause of the wheel going backwards?

Again, thanks all for the ongoing help

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I would need to strip the plugs off to get to find the correct coloured wires?
don't do that. Use a thin pin to get to the wires at the JST connector between the controller and the motor cable. For the ground, you can use the black wire of the battery connector, much more accessible.
We use a breakout connector to do this test without messing with opening the controller box but I only made one, can't lend you it.

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
don't do that. Use a thin pin to get to the wires at the JST connector between the controller and the motor cable. For the ground, you can use the black wire of the battery connector, much more accessible.
We use a breakout connector to do this test without messing with opening the controller box but I only made one, can't lend you it.
Okay...Ive just looked again at the pics I posted earlier....the only other connector (apart from the one close to the motor between the motor and the controller) is a blue and brown going to the battery terminals from the controller. All other wires appear to go straight into the controller.

While trying to do as much as I can myself, I dont want to make a complete and utter mess of it, the bike is still under warranty so hopefully this side of things will be covered under that.

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Just a thought Andy .Your bike is well under two years old, and as you say Oxygen are really good at after sales/guarantee work. If you cannot fix it yourself I would hope that they could step in to repair it for you.

I still have an old 2011 Oxygen Emate City that I still use and when I had an issue with the motor approaching the two year point they (Andrew) sent me a new motor and wheel combined free of charge. I just had to swap tyres and disc rotor over and plug it in and off I went. It is still working today after many thousands of miles.

I then thought I would try to future proof the old girl and rang Oxygen who were now under new ownership in Yorkshire and the chap (John I think) sold me two reconditioned motors out of about eight he had to support his old Emate City owners for £150 although he did say I would not need two. For some reason what I expected to receive was two reconditioned motors, but what I actually received was two wheels with motors attached.

John was right about not needing two, and they sit on a shelf in my garage still.

When I bought my house it had an old floor standing boiler that was over 40 years old and still working. I did get it replaced and the plumber told me that the company that made them had gone out of business because their boilers were too long lasting and reliable.

Anyway I hope you get your bike sorted.

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Just a thought Andy .Your bike is well under two years old, and as you say Oxygen are really good at after sales/guarantee work. If you cannot fix it yourself I would hope that they could step in to repair it for you.

I still have an old 2011 Oxygen Emate City that I still use and when I had an issue with the motor approaching the two year point they (Andrew) sent me a new motor and wheel combined free of charge. I just had to swap tyres and disc rotor over and plug it in and off I went. It is still working today after many thousands of miles.

I then thought I would try to future proof the old girl and rang Oxygen who were now under new ownership in Yorkshire and the chap (John I think) sold me two reconditioned motors out of about eight he had to support his old Emate City owners for £150 although he did say I would not need two. For some reason what I expected to receive was two reconditioned motors, but what I actually received was two wheels with motors attached.

John was right about not needing two, and they sit on a shelf in my garage still.

When I bought my house it had an old floor standing boiler that was over 40 years old and still working. I did get it replaced and the plumber told me that the company that made them had gone out of business because their boilers were too long lasting and reliable.

Anyway I hope you get your bike sorted.
Hi George...thanks for the positivity :)

Yes, Oxygen have been brilliant with the odd niggle here and there, but with the mileage ive done, the niggles have been nothing, especially compared to other bikes that have failed miserably under the same usage.

The motor problem is a strange one, and I only went this far with trying to sort it because it only came about after I changed the hub, but that meant taking the cover off the motor. The hub wasnt a warranty item, so I had to sort that myself, and was really pleased when, with the help of people on here, I succeeded!

But yes, i think ive taken it as far as I can now, will ring Oxygen later on, and hope they can help with this. I also wanted to make sure its nothing I have managed to screw up before going back to Oxygen, saying can you sort my mess out please.

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Spoke to Oxygen, they offered to have a look at it while Im there if I can take it up next week, swap out some parts etc to work it out.

The last couple of times Ive over gone to Rotherham from Warrington it has taken me almost 3 hours to do the 60 miles - rush hour traffic and all that...so, Im dropping the bike over tomorrow, and will pick it up sometime next week. Can take my drone with me, and get some flights in on the way back tomorrow :)

Related Articles

Advertisers