Pleasant ride, sunshine but something missing?

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
The best 'bell' I have is my voice, although the pinger on the handlebars has its uses.

• Agree
Reactions: Zac and flecc

PeterCo

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 6, 2015
A group of us went yesterday on the Monsal trail in Derbyshire. About 17 miles on our vintage Raleighs. (Yes we did all dress up too!) .....not an electric bike day....just a bimble along ride with lashings of lemonade and cake at the end.
The trail, an old rail line, was absolutely packed with folk cycling. It was lovely to see so many families out enjoying the sunshine. There were plenty of hikers and dog walkers sharing the space.
There are four longish illuminated tunnels too so it's a good place to observe cycle lights.
Our old bikes have the traditional ring bells which appeared quite effective. A couple had ding ding bigger bells equally useful.
There were quite a few teenagers....mainly girls....with headphones on. They heard nothing! Usefully most had some sort of 'minder' nearby.
Everyone was most accommodating but bells are incredibly useful in packed areas and the walkers seemed to appreciate their use.

Montybaber

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 2, 2018
Dorset
I managed to find a bell I had in a drawer from my other bike (Whyte hybrid) so fitted that for my first ride to work today

Thank god I did, I must have used it twenty/thirty times! Lots of combined ped/cycle paths and people wandering with no idea of anything going on around them, I feel a bit better about passing and potentially startling people if I have least tried to warn them beforehand

Anyway first day commuting and all went well, approx 16miles total and a few big hills but it was a pleasure in this sunshine