PowaCycle Salisbury/Windsor Lithium Polymer

Carl

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2006
We have just had a new Lithium Polymer battery in for our Salisbury and Windsors. The bikes can be ordered with the current NiMH battery or the new Lithium Polymers and come with the relevent charger.
I have just been for a ride on one and managed around 23 miles with practically no pedal assistance except for a gentle push up the hills. I'd predict at the very minimum 30 miles under normal circumstances with pedal assist, probably more like 35-40 miles with normal assistance.
It reduces the weight of the bike by a couple of KG too:)
So thats a 35+ mile range bike at 22KG :)

PowaCycle Salisbury Lithium Polymer
PowaCycle Windsor Lithium Polymer

The 20 mile ranges we quoted on those pages were just an original safe guesstimate, to be updated when we work out the range under normal riding.:)

Last edited:

Quicken

Pedelecer
Nov 14, 2006
Interesting alternatives to the Ezee Liv... similar price bracket, a lot lighter, but probably a slightly weedier motor. These will probably ride a lot better than most as normal bikes without the motor engaged. Pretty nice. :)

Edit: I have just noted that the batteries are listed as 26V, 10.5Ah. Is 26V likely to be right? I thought 24 and 36V were standard.

Cheers,
Q

Last edited:

nigel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 18, 2006
Nigel

Thats good news carl:D the bikes are lighter and gain more distance thats what we want its 8 kilos less then the LIV WOW:) :D

Carl

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2006
Yes, these are slightly higher voltage. 24v batts run up to higher than 24v anyway, so a 26v isn't much of a difference. It did feel slightly quicker though :)

I did ride most of the 10 miles or so after I'd run out of juice, and it wasn't difficult even with my current lack of fitness!
By the way, for 5 miles or so after the throttle alone power had run out, the motor was still assisting while pedalling.

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
thanks for the heads-up Carl! I've added it to the News on the main site.

Do you have high-res images for the bikes but in a small size ie. approx 150x90 pixels ?

cheers
Russ.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks for the news Carl, keeping up the reputation for long range on your Windsor and Salisbury series.

Re: the above comments, in a different class to the Liv, the latter being a higher power motor with 36 volt system, more a performance system.

Carl

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2006
True, this won't suit speed-freaks! But it will suit the majority of 'regular' customers who want assistance for a long range and low weight :)

I'll get that pic to you tomorrow Russ :) Thanks!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Quite right Carl, and my comment wasn't a criticism so much as a clarification of the relationships.

Re: the voltage comments. 24 and 36 volts are just conventions that resulted from car 12 volt practice, it being easy to apply multiples of that for early e-bikes. When Ni-Cad and NiMh batteries arrived with 1.2 volts per cell, it was easy to keep that going with 20 cells giving 24 volts and 30 cells giving 36 volts nominal.

Lithium batteries have upset that, since the cells have differing voltages according to type, often 3.7 volts and sometimes over 4 volts. Ten 3.7 volts are ok to approximate 36 volts, but for 24 volts the nearest we can get is seven 3.7 volts to give 25.9 volts, hence the 26 figure for the new Powacycle battery.

Explanation with my compliments Carl. :)

Carl

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2006
Thanks! Thats what I would have put earlier if my brain wasn't recovering from a sweaty ride and could have strung the sentence together in undertstandable terms.....I decided against it though :)

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
Thanks! Thats what I would have put earlier if my brain wasn't recovering from a sweaty ride and could have strung the sentence together in undertstandable terms.....I decided against it though :)
Sweaty ride? Quote: "23 miles with practically no pedal assistance" :D:D:D

Carl

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2006
Ah, BUT....
I did ride most of the 10 miles or so after I'd run out of juice, and it wasn't difficult even with my current lack of fitness!
;)
Trouble is, I can't do a relaxing ride, being used to aggressive riding since for ever - it was a real struggle not pedalling while using the throttle, and then once the power had run out, I had to start riding like I would my racing bike!!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
No spare Li-poly prices or charger price in accessories yet Carl?

Yes, it's the "battery butcher" asking again. :D

MazB

Pedelecer
Nov 21, 2006
Hi Carl,

The bike sounds really good. The choices just keep opening up for us leccy bikers.

The price is very attractive and the distance you quote is amazing.. just a couple of questions:

1. How much will replacement batteries be?
  2. The seat height of 86cm is that from seat to floor or seat to peddle?
  3. Is there anyway of having a demo of the bike?

Cheers,
Maz

Carl

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2006
The batteries aren't available seperately at the moment, as we only have a relatively small batch and anticipate the bikes selling well as there is a lot of interest (had a few pre-ordered anyway). I don't want to get your hopes up Mr Butcher because it may not be any time soon, but they should be £200 when/if they do become available. Not sure about the charger as yet, which you will obviously need too.

The seat height of 86cm is from the floor. It comes with a suspension seatpost, which raises the height a bit, but if you have short legs (like me!) you can just fit a normal seatpost which should take about 8cm off the height :)

Where abouts are you Maz? You can have a test ride here, no problem. We are in Essex and an easy trip up/down the M11 :)
Otherwise, I will see if there are any dealers nearby who would be willing to get the bike in for you to try :)

I'll see if I can find out the intimate details of the battery Baboonking!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks for all your help Carl. Sounds like a good price for that Li-polymer battery, especially in view of the £1400 new Twist's batteries being £300 each and two for £600 needed for 40 mile range.

You must have a smile on your face with their pricing. :)

nigel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 18, 2006
nigel

Yes its good news all round another good mid priced bike that will do 30 miles on pedel assit thats great and with new li-polymer battery bringing weight down to 22 kilos:) :D great more choices thats what we want.