Power for Hills Only + swap between bikes if possible...

Tigggrrr

Just Joined
Aug 12, 2018
I'm looking to get back to cycling to try and lose weight. Unfortunately we are surrounded by hills, which makes it tough for a seriously overweight / moderately unfit rider.

I currently have a 27 (3x9) speed alloy hybrid which I may use over winter, but I would like to get a sportive roadbike such as the Specialized Roubaix Di2 22 speed carbon fibre (probably secondhand).

I would like a motor to assist with rides up to 100 miles, but will be training in the 10-50 mile zone for quite some time to come. The main assistance would be predominately on tougher or very long hills.

So what might exist that doesn't lose my gears, potentially swaps between these two bikes without major work?

One alternative I considered would be an electric road bike, but these are banned on some sportives, and are quite expensive. I have looked online at the Orbea Gain, possibly could switch out rear wheel for sportives, but battery doesn't look easy to remove. The Fazua drive such as used on the Cube Agree Hybrid is very nice, but is also stretching the budget. I wouldn't want to use it in wet and I would also be losing electronic gears.

One piece of kit I considered might be simple is Swytch but this apparently has a bit of drag when not in use and the weight is quite high on the bike affecting handling.

Budget £2k - £4k including roadbike - cheaper would always be nice.

Thanks for any advice...

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
One alternative I considered would be an electric road bike, but these are banned on some sportives, .
I'm surprised by that, that could be considered discrimination to say someone like myself with a long term health condition.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
For your requirement and funds you could go to Cytronex

lightweight front wheel conversion , neat , very freewheeling

Easily swappable out for a non motor wheel

It ticks your boxes but it is very expensive and may lack power (all that freewheeling, light, relatively low power neatness come at a compromise )

Dumping the yet to be delivered switch into a grand or two worth of carbon beauty would be borderline criminal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
I'm surprised by that, that could be considered discrimination to say someone like myself with a long term health condition.
I've had this argument with two organisers

They quote their insurance policies and inherent dangers of lithium as the root cause

Ps. Don't shoot the messager. You and I know both know every single person has at least one other lithium battery in their phone (and then their lights, gears , sensors and other gizmo )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Informative
Reactions: Artstu