Presteigne 2011

Jon

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2011
Stoke on Trent
www.tangit.co.uk
I organise community events at work over the summer which involve councillors, MPs, VIPs and service stake holders. I also have to deal with road closures, risk assessments, Police, Fire, St Johns, Stoke City etc etc and it gets difficult especially with all the various demands and i have to still do my normal work load on top. I think some valid points have been made on both sides but to a degree i would have to lean towards Onbke and their reasons. Onbike are not suggesting that they want to hold the only UK bike show/race/demo so if other retailers are that bothered then they are welcome to start their own. Some know how much work is involved so cant be bothered, others dont know where to start and some will be keen but dont want to end up in the same position as Onbike. Oh and to hire an events organiser you are talking huge money i mean huge. 2 years ago i put on some festivals in Stoke as i was over worked i managed to get some funding in to pay for an events manager, just to put 4 events on with security, marques, stage, PA etc etc with the aim of 5,000 per event that cost £50k. To manage something like what was described here you will be looking at over 100k because of how spread out it was. Dont get me wrong, the company i hired did an awesome job and everything was thought of and they did it much better than i could have but i dont think it was worth 50k. If you knew 20k people were going to definatley attend you would need to charge at least £10 each plus charging stall higher and you would then just about break even as there will be on costs you hadnt foreseen.

vectra

Pedelecer
Feb 5, 2011
Hi.

I'm considering going to the Sunday event at Presteigne. Do any of the retailers who attend this event offer discounts on the day?

If so have you any knowledge of who will offering such?

Thank you.

Regards
vectra
Hi.
Curiouser and curiouser!

With reference to my original enquiry. I now know that one supplier will be offering discounts on ex-demonstrator bikes. This really has no interest to me because I wish to buy new. I'm also aware that one supplier will offer discounts on the first 20 bikes sold................................so no pressure there then! Hardly an opportunity to make informed decisions following tests. I'll pass on that offer.

Specifically, will OnBike be offering deals on the day and if so to what extent?

Thank you.
Regards
vectra

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I have always found at shows dealers tend to firm up on prices (my experiences with motorhomes and the like) and that a much better deal can be had by playing one of against another in the cold light of day after the event....

seeing as there is going to be little choice available and some of the latest and more exciting bikes out this year from the likes of Kalkhoff and Boach etc....have been barred from the event? I see no point in supporting or visiting this farce

billadie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2010
Tewkesbury
I don't see it being a farce. There will be a wider range available there than anywhere else I can think of. So, yes I hope to be there.

There is something increasily negative about this forum, which is becoming off-putting. Sometimes people do things for good reason, not because they are part of a conspiracy against the world/buyers/an individual.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I have to go to Germany to visit motorhome shows if I want to see the latest and most innovative campers...Shame that I will probably have to do the same for E Bikes

Looks like the little Englanders are doing it again by just having a "mates fest" OR vested interest fest. I mean if only their suppliers are invited OR their mates what is the point.......

Andy Grayland

Pedelecer
Apr 9, 2008
Eddieo. The point is that 1000s of people have visited the event and have a good time. The event has never claimed to be anything else. It also promotes electric bikes to the general public.

Little Englanders are people who sit on the sidelines criticising and trying to stop other people having fun. You are doping a great job of this.

Why would you sit there making negative comments about a very successful event about which you know nothing? I do not know what your motivation is? You put out lots of negative comments about TDP last year to. You should be ashamed of yourself!
If you can do better then organise your own show. Show us how it should be done. If you wont organise something better you should keep your “negative swiping” to yourself.

Note to other readers.

There will be a huge range of bikes there including Bosch and Stork.

C

Cyclezee

Good luck with the show Andy;) I have wanted to go for years, but always missed out. I might try and make on the Sunday as an observer rather than a participant if I have the time.
I'm due go on a local ride in the morning, so it might come down to where the sun is shinning:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I have nothing to be ashamed about? what an astonishing and ridiculous statement... what Bosch powered bikes will be there?

So we have gone from "your suppliers only" to a "huge range" Maybe you should spit it out and divulge in plain English what is actually going to be specifically displayed there?

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Good luck with the show Andy;) I have wanted to go for years, but always missed out. I might try and make on the Sunday as an observer rather than a participant if I have the time.
I'm due go on a local ride in the morning, so it might come down to where the sun is shinning:cool:

I think you might find it a bit quiet...As I think it is only a one day event this year on the Saturday

brucehawsker

Pedelecer
Dec 17, 2009
I am confused about this event. We have been resaonably successful so far this year and are meeting and talking to loads of people who have lectric bikes or are interested in them. Perhaps it is our geographical location (Southampton) but Tour de Presteigne has not even been mentioned. Sure, London Bike Show, the Gadget Show Live.... and the local bike events of which there are many. But Presteigne seems to be (a bit like BEBA which, although we have joined, no one locally has heard of) an event for the already converted and those local to the area. The only person who suggested I attended was Edbike. Perhaps next year if the event and its provenence is made clearer.

Jon

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2011
Stoke on Trent
www.tangit.co.uk
Well i for one are making plans to come i was going to pop down to Onbike today but i helped my wife at a craft fayre and then thought ill go to the show next weekend so i can try lots of bikes. I have never been before to any bike show, its free so ill be popping down on the Sunday to view whats what and chat to people. In fact im kinda looking forward to it. I just hope the weather holds good. I wont be participating this year on rides but who knows for next year.

If people want to be negative i would rather they not go so they dont spoil it. Plus as its been said many many times on this thread, do your own show there is nothing to say there is only room to do one show per year. Presteigne is to the west so why not do one in the Midlands or towards the East? I would probaly go to either just to see what its like. If you cant put up well frankly shut up.

JohnS

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 27, 2009
I went last year and had great fun. There were loads of different bikes to try. It was very interesting to meet so many existing owners and get their knowledge of their bikes. I can’t wait for this year’s especially the 50 mile ride.
Please stop posting Eddieo you are obviously a nasty, small minded man and your posts just bring yourself and even this forum into disrepute.
Surely this forum needs to have moderators to stop people like Eddieo spoiling it for everyone?
John

Jon

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2011
Stoke on Trent
www.tangit.co.uk
John

People are entitled to freedom of thought and freedom to express beliefs providing that expression does not impinge on someone else freedom. Edieo can air his opinion it is obviously uninformed or at least it appears to be. He seems to be stuck in his ways especially with bikes either that he just believes what people tell him all the time rather than making up his own mind either way dont hold it against him, dont get absorbed into negativity and move on :) life is far too short.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Rather then getting personally abusive I suggest the sycophants among us, read this thread from the beginning and digest what is going on here.....Rather then making rash comments on my character

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
OK, that's enough now people. Stick to the facts or the thread gets closed.

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
It will still be a great day out even with less exhibitors,the race around the streets is fun to watch,and it still the best place to try a lot of electric bikes out in one day.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Moderation shouldn't be necessary if the ad hominem attacks aren't made in the first place.

vectra

Pedelecer
Feb 5, 2011
Hi.
Curiouser and curiouser!

With reference to my original enquiry. I now know that one supplier will be offering discounts on ex-demonstrator bikes. This really has no interest to me because I wish to buy new. I'm also aware that one supplier will offer discounts on the first 20 bikes sold................................so no pressure there then! Hardly an opportunity to make informed decisions following tests. I'll pass on that offer.

Specifically, will OnBike be offering deals on the day and if so to what extent?

Thank you.
Regards
vectra
Hi.

I have to assume that the answer re' discounts or "special deals" on the day is a "NO!"

What with the lack of Kalkhoff, Trek and a few more plus the lack of incentive to purchase, i.e no deals, then there is no point in my wife and I attending. I do, however, wish the day to be a success and hope all goes well.

Regards
vectra

Last edited:
C

Cyclezee

I and my friend Jack, a.k.a. Bankie, will going on Sunday and taking at least one bike to participate. I'm not sure about what to wear for fancy dress though? Whereas Jack wears fancy dress all the time, but then he is quite old:p