Pro-Connect 1st Review

iaing

Pedelecer
May 27, 2008
L31
Tasman Nexus 8

There is still the cheaper version for sale with for example on Wiggle.co.uk. The premium edition is still called the 'red band' version so I expect if the Pro-Connect has a red band then it must be the premium version. Can somebody with a Pro-Connect have a look? Silly numbering system but I suppose it makes sense to Shimano.
My Tasman has the red band near to the chain.

Iain

c_elder

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2007
16 Tooth Rear Sprocket

I got Evans Cycle to change my rear sprocket from 23 to 16 teeth yesterday.

First off, the price was £25 (labour only)!

When I test rode it after the changeover, the chain slipped so badly that I had to take it back after only 2 minutes. The manager was very helpful and, upon investigation, thought the chain was too loose and took it back to his mechanic. I told him that 50Cycles said that 3 pairs of links should be removed and he confirmed that this was done.

I waited for about half-an-hour. When he brought the bike back, the back wheel had been set further back. The mechanic had test rode it and said that the chain no longer slipped. I test rode it a second time but, although better, the chain did keep slipping, especially after a gear change. The manager then test rode it but it was OK for him. I got on again and the first slip was so loud, even he heard it from about 6 metres away.

He checked again with the mechanic and discovered that only 2 pairs of links had been removed after all! Anyway, after another half-an-hour wait, the bike was brought back and this time everything worked fine.

I took the bike to Richmond Park, Surrey, for hill testing and Oh Boy, what a whoop! Here are some maths:

new top assisted speed = 23/16 * 15 mph = 21.5625 mph (really felt it!)
typical gear on flats = 5th
lowest gear on 1/8 hill = 2nd (on high power)

Running downhill, 8th gear still had bite (yippie!)

By my reckoning, if the 8 speed hub has 307% range then, if the gears are geometrically evenly spaced, each gear change represents a shift of:
R^7 = 3.07 ==> R = 1.1738 ==> 17.38%

So switching to a 16 tooth sprocket represents adding another 2.26 gears. This just about makes it perfect.

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
I got Evans Cycle to change my rear sprocket from 23 to 16 teeth yesterday.

First off, the price was £25 (labour only)!

When I test rode it after the changeover, the chain slipped so badly that I had to take it back after only 2 minutes. The manager was very helpful and, upon investigation, thought the chain was too loose and took it back to his mechanic. I told him that 50Cycles said that 3 pairs of links should be removed and he confirmed that this was done.

I waited for about half-an-hour. When he brought the bike back, the back wheel had been set further back. The mechanic had test rode it and said that the chain no longer slipped. I test rode it a second time but, although better, the chain did keep slipping, especially after a gear change. The manager then test rode it but it was OK for him. I got on again and the first slip was so loud, even he heard it from about 6 metres away.

He checked again with the mechanic and discovered that only 2 pairs of links had been removed after all! Anyway, after another half-an-hour wait, the bike was brought back and this time everything worked fine.

I took the bike to Richmond Park, Surrey, for hill testing and Oh Boy, what a whoop! Here are some maths:

typical gear on flats = 5th
lowest gear on 1/8 hill = 2nd (on high power)

Running downhill, 8th gear still had bite (yippie!)

By my reckoning, if the 8 speed hub has 307% range then, if the gears are geometrically evenly spaced, each gear change represents a shift of:
R^7 = 3.07 ==> R = 1.1738 ==> 17.38%

So switching to a 16 tooth sprocket represents adding another 2.26 gears. This just about makes it perfect.
Can you let us know what effect this has on your range? As Flecc has pointed out it can mean a dramatic reduction (as I have found out). It is worth bearing in mind as one of the main advantages of the Agattu/Pro-connect is the efficiency and range, but I found once the mod is done, it is no better than my Torq (but at least the battery is lighter).

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

when you say "really felt it"............... do you mean you felt the speed, the wind in your hair and speeding past milk floats ect...or do you mean you really felt it as you ended up knackered.:eek: .....im hoping its the former...

c_elder

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2007
Can you let us know what effect this has on your range? As Flecc has pointed out it can mean a dramatic reduction (as I have found out). It is worth bearing in mind as one of the main advantages of the Agattu/Pro-connect is the efficiency and range, but I found once the mod is done, it is no better than my Torq (but at least the battery is lighter).
Will do. This might take a while though - the wait for the bike was so long that my work place changed (temporarily) and now I have to take a train. Any time on the bike either has to be stolen from work or my family.

c_elder

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2007

when you say "really felt it"............... do you mean you felt the speed, the wind in your hair and speeding past milk floats ect...or do you mean you really felt it as you ended up knackered.:eek: .....im hoping its the former...
The former!

I'm not a seriously fit cyclist but 15mph is a bit slow for me on a bicycle and having the motor-assist cut out 6mph higher just makes so much difference.

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
The former!

I'm not a seriously fit cyclist but 15mph is a bit slow for me on a bicycle and having the motor-assist cut out 6mph higher just makes so much difference.
yes i can imagine..15 is soooooooooooooo slow but knowing what its like down the flyover at 20 feels like you are getting somewhere fast..:)

poppy

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2008
Covas, Ferrol. La Coruña. Spain
Pro Connect: Charging the battery.

Hell!
Can the battery be charged without taking it off the bike, like with other bikes?
Are the battery indicator reasonably precise so there won´t be ugly surprises?
Thanks.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
No, the battery has to come off, but it's a very easy lift off. The battery itself plugs onto the charger base, no lead.

The three LED indicator on the handlebars is a rough readout of the charge position, the five LED meter on the battery itself is more precise.

Chris_Bike

Pedelecer
May 20, 2008
Birmingham
Hi,

Can I try the same question on you that Larkspur was unable to answer because he doesn't have bathroom scales!? Could you try to accurately weight the Pro Connect (by weighing yourself, then weighing yourself holding the bike). Just curious really.

poppy

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2008
No, the battery has to come off, but it's a very easy lift off. The battery itself plugs onto the charger base, no lead.

The three LED indicator on the handlebars is a rough readout of the charge position, the five LED meter on the battery itself is more precise.
I can´t find the adequate thread but the question is this: If one has to stop pedalling to change gears isn´t this a bit tricky/inconvenient going uphill at top power if you need to change down gears? If you stop pedalling uphill you lose momentum....

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes it is Poppy, and riding with a hub gear needs different techniques.

On the one hand there's the big advantage of not having to plan going down through the gears for stops as one has to with derailleur gears.

But on the other hand it's best to choose the right gear for a hill at the start and not try juggling them on the way up.

So each has it's advantage and disadvantage, and as usual, with practice each becomes easy.

poppy

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2008

On the one hand there's the big advantage of not having to plan going down through the gears for stops as one has to with derailleur gears.

But on the other hand it's best to choose the right gear for a hill at the start and not try juggling them on the way up.

So each has it's advantage and disadvantage, and as usual, with practice each becomes easy.
Hi! another one for you:
The manual of the Pro says something like when down hill and pedalling not needed the motor autmatically switches off, Does it mean that you have to switch it on when/before you have to start pedalling again?

After much consideration and several test rides, I think I'm settled on a bike with the Panasonic drive system. I prefer the Pro-connect over the Agattu in terms of the spec (lighter, no suspension, 8 gears, and looks nicer to me), but have only test ridden the Agattu. Has anyone ridden both, and can they tell me if the Pro-connect is worth the extra cash? I'm happy to spend it if it is.

iaing

Pedelecer
May 27, 2008
L31
Hi! another one for you:
The manual of the Pro says something like when down hill and pedalling not needed the motor autmatically switches off, Does it mean that you have to switch it on when/before you have to start pedalling again?

No, it just means no assistance is given at that time. Start pedalling again and the assistance is there - no delay.

Iain

WALKERMAN

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2008
Pro Connect weight

Hi,

Can I try the same question on you that Larkspur was unable to answer because he doesn't have bathroom scales!? Could you try to accurately weight the Pro Connect (by weighing yourself, then weighing yourself holding the bike). Just curious really.
My 53cm Pro Connect weighs a total of 20.4 Kgs. more than 6 Kgs lighter than my Lafree ST. :D

poppy

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2008

Must be something wrong with me and my changing gears_On standstill it only changes one gear and then I start off and there is an ominous Craaack! before the gear gets settled. The fact is that it´s when pedalling when the changing is smoother...I´m sure I´ve misled you into thinking the kind of bike I have: the rear sprocket aren´t like the connect or other Panasonic bikes. it sort of hangs like your typical bike with several gears.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Must be something wrong with me and my changing gears_On standstill it only changes one gear and then I start off and there is an ominous Craaack! before the gear gets settled. The fact is that it´s when pedalling when the changing is smoother...I´m sure I´ve misled you into thinking the kind of bike I have: the rear sprocket aren´t like the connect or other Panasonic bikes. it sort of hangs like your typical bike with several gears.
Ah ha! You have misled me, it's a derailleur gear on the BH, unusual with a Panasonic unit.

You must not change gear at a standstill with that type, but must maintain pedalling when changing gear on the road. In other words, change gear exactly as you did on the clone bike.