Pro-Connect first range test.

JamesC

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2007
Peterborough, UK
Yes, you shouldn't find it difficult. This webpage covers the use of the chaintool well:

Using the chainlink tool

You can't use the quick connector type shown there, but you can use this type if wished.

If you do, point the closed end of the clip in the direction of chain travel and insert it from the rear of the chain, so the clip sits outside. You'll probably find these connectors at a local bike shop.
Flecc
That's a very good picture of the chain in your link to the chainlink tool. The piece of chain in the picture shows 4 links. Remove 2 links when changing from 23 T to 18 T sprocket.

As discussed in the recent topic on changing ProConnect sprockets, I did not find Sachs PC1 joiners in silver to match the existing chain.

An alternative is to use the Shimano CN-NX10 1/2" x 1/8" Nexus chain (unfortunately sold as 114 links and about 120 links needed). This is silver and comes prepared with 1 pin pushed to the edge of the outer plate, just as shown in the chainlink tool picture.

I think that it is probably OK to simply push the pin back in after removing 2 links, given that the chain does not have to climb any derailleur sprockets.

What do you think ?

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I usually push link pins back in James, even on derailleur chains, and have no problems with that.

It's normally necessary to use the tool second position to release the tightness and balance the pin position exactly.

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Does that then mean that masterlinks are not needed for this mod?

JamesC

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2007
Peterborough, UK
Does that then mean that masterlinks are not needed for this mod?
John
I am rather hoping that Flecc will give the final answer.

I think it is OK to slide the pin out and push it back.

HOWEVER
I would play safe and carry the Sachs connecting link, and the chaintool, for the first few miles.

Looking again at the picture of the chaintool provided by Flecc, you would want the chain to travel in the "upwards" direction in that picture.

Thinking of the outer plates where one pin has been disturbed, it is better for the undisturbed pin to be leading.

James

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Maaterlinks aren't needed if the rejoin is to a high standard, but as this is the first time you've used a chaintool for a long time John, I think a quick connector type could be safer.

If you are on good terms with your bike shop, ask them for an odd piece of chain as they will often have loose ends left over. Then you can practice splitting, rejoining and subsequent freeing of tight links, standing you in good stead for future work.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I am trying to find an 18T sproket for my Pro Connect. James C posted a link to Petra Cycles which listed a number of sprokets of varying size. The images appear to show a flat sproket where as the one on my Pro-Connect is dished.

The data sheet for the Nexus WH-8R25 lists the 18T Sproket part number as Y-322 03429. When I type this into Petra Cycles search, again the image is of a flat sproket.

Can anyone confirm if this is the correct one or post a link to supplier of the dished type sproket.

Thanks

Tom

JamesC

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2007
Peterborough, UK
I am trying to find an 18T sproket for my Pro Connect. James C posted a link to Petra Cycles which listed a number of sprokets of varying size. The images appear to show a flat sproket where as the one on my Pro-Connect is dished.

The data sheet for the Nexus WH-8R25 lists the 18T Sproket part number as Y-322 03429. When I type this into Petra Cycles search, again the image is of a flat sproket.

Can anyone confirm if this is the correct one or post a link to supplier of the dished type sproket.

Thanks

Tom
Tom
Mine were dished and correct from Petra Cycles.
I have worked on the basis that the Shimano Part Number is correct for dished sprockets, even though the picture is sometimes wrong.

Availability in "1-2 days" at Petra is equivalent to being in stock. If anything longer than 1-2 days is showing, best to double check the actual delivery.

Note that the parts list and sprocket numbers refer to silver coloured sprockets - the original 23T on the ProConnect is Black.

I do not have any references for black ones, but they must exist.

James

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Thanks James. As you say it matches up with the part number, so it must just be a stock photograph of a sproket. I think I'll order one, silver will match the chain, so I'm not too bothered about finding a black one.

Regards
Tom

stokepa31_mk2

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 7, 2008
Hi Tom

You will receive the dished sprocket. Its a library picture of the nexus 8 sprocket that confuses the issue.

Regards
Paul

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
The data sheet for the Nexus WH-8R25 lists the 18T Sproket part number as Y-322 03429
Hi Tom

The datasheet that James posted has the part number as Y-322 03420, not Y-322 03429 (I've certainly order the Y-322 03420 ones as on the factsheet item number 27).

I hope these are the same.

John

JamesC

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2007
Peterborough, UK
Hi Tom

The datasheet that James posted has the part number as Y-322 03420, not Y-322 03429 (I've certainly order the Y-322 03420 ones as on the factsheet item number 27).

I hope these are the same.

John
Thanks John - yes stick to the numbers on the fact sheet.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Yes the incorrect part number was a Typo error by me. I have ordered the one from the data sheet posted by James, but thanks for pointing my error out. It could have lead to disappointment!

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I have fitted an 18T sproket following the instructions posted by James and Flecc. The instructions were spot on. Thanks.

The sproket retaining clip was a bit of a devil to re-fit, but it went on eventually. I shortened the chain by two links and this seems to position the wheel in the centre of the rear slots when re-fitted. I didn't use a clip type joiner, but very carefully pushed the pin almost out and then back in again. I have just been out for a 10 mile hilly test ride and all seems well.

I find that I am now using the full range of gears which seems more sensible than with the 23 tooth sproket which I have removed. I was only using 4 to 8 with that fitted.

Thanks again for all your help with this.

Tom

Falstaff

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 20, 2008
An Experiment In International Relations.

The 57cm Kalkhoff Pro arrived in remarkably good condition on Friday morning, in Springfield/Eugene, Oregon. Hammered it together and have taken a number of shakedown cruises.

So far I have taken off the fenders. Took off the 'comfort' seat & replaced it currently with the Brook's leather saddle. It has tabs on the back that I can hang a proper fanny pack off of. Have put Crank Brothers, Mallet pedals, on the cranks. Also added a computer to keep track of miles & such. So the bike is ready to roll.

I finally wore the battery out on the Kalkhoff. Went 67 miles on the first battery charge. Total average speed was 11.9 mph. Did a lot of stop and repairs during the sundry shake down cruises, not to mention a nice bit of city miles, so not a bad reading for the first go.

Two factors at play. The terrain is level to undulating, a few small hills, but nothing to write home and tell Ma about. The second is my riding style.. I have a tendency to pedal outside the Panasonic’s power curve. Since I am used to high cadence at the pedals (95rpm), I am often spinning away at a level that I am receiving little or no assistance from the engine. The Panasonic helps get me up to speed and then I maintain that speed without much assistance. Except for a bit of experimentation, I have used the Medium power setting.

I plan to change the 23T rear sprocket on the Shimano Nexus hub to an 18T sprocket, which will lower the distance a tad. Not to mention speed the bicycle up a bit. But that will be a few days, since neither the afore mentioned sprocket, nor chain tool is in my immediate possession. In the mean time, the battery is in the charger gaining strength by the minute.

Duane

Attachments

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Congratulations on your new bike Duane, it looks good stripped like that.

That's a great range, and it supports my observations on this system in my Agattu test that a strong cyclist could get much more than the over 50 miles I showed on that heavier bike. Like you I enjoy high cadences and don't find pedalling these bikes at over the assist limit any problem.

I'll be interested to know what range you get after the sprocket change, though I suspect it won't be too badly affected with your riding style.

Falstaff

May 20, 2008
The Shipping News

The package arrived a day a head of schedule. Considering the distances involved, 8 time zones, the package with the 57cm Kalkhoff Pro Connect arrived in excellent condition. Accolades to 50Cycles and United Parcel Service.

The package travelled by jet from GB, to St. Louis, Missouri. It went through customs, then back on another jet going to Portland, Oregon. So it was handled a minimum of times by the infamous cargo crunching automatic sorters, who loiter around all major ports of call, just waiting for your package to come through..

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Circlip from hell

#The sproket retaining clip was a bit of a devil to re-fit,
:eek: Youre not bloomin joking!!!! It makes the one on my Twist seem like a dream!!!

I have the circlip pliers, but they come in handy when taking them off in the first place. The retaining circlip here is a length of square metal forged/moulded in to a circle and then cut.

REALLY REALLY hard. It took me as long to get that clip on as it did to change both innertubes to schraders, shorten the chain (hope done right - find out in morning on way to work) and put on my mirror!!!

Thumbs are REALLY sore and bloody now :(

John

prState

Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada
Dang, that looks a lot like my Lafree, the panier, seat, no fenders. etc. Of course, that looks brand NEW and it's missing the dent I have in the main frame tube.

With the stronger assist and the 8 speed, I would automatically go to the 16 tooth sprocket, but I live in Vegas.

I still use a 4 speed, less power available, and a 18 tooth right now here and it does real well. I can drive up the parking garage ramps here in 3rd gear. In 4th it stalls.

edited to change to 18

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Dang, that looks a lot like my Lafree, the panier, seat, no fenders. etc. Of course, that looks brand NEW and it's missing the dent I have in the main frame tube.

With the stronger assist and the 8 speed, I would automatically go to the 16 tooth sprocket, but I live in Vegas.
50cycles are offering delivery to the States now with facilities for that on their site. For you that would be a high power longer range version of your Lafree.

This is what they say in their latest newsletter:

US deliveries

We can now deliver Kalkhoff electric bikes to customers in the USA and Canada. Call +44 844 800 5979 or order online - once you select your country of residence, our system will automatically deduct UK VAT (local sales tax of 17.5%) and add US shipping. We've already delivered our first few bikes to customers in Oregon and Texas.

Erica

Aug 1, 2008
American interested in Pro Connect

Hi All,

I live in California and am considering purchasing a Kalkhoff bike. I have not been able to find any information on the dimensions of the various sizes of the bikes. I tried the Giant Twist Freedom DX here in the US, but it comes in only two sizes, neither of which felt right to me. Plus it comes with panniers that cover the batteries, and the panniers are tiny to the point of not being very functional.

I was thrilled to see that 50 cycles will ship to the US, but am nervous about ordering the wrong size bike.

Would any of you Kalkhoff owners measure and post the stand-over heights of your bikes so I can figure out the correct size? I'd appreciate it alot. I've contacted 50 Cycles by email but haven't heard back. I gather they're busy getting out all your orders...!

Falstaff, how is your experience going with your new bike? How much assembly did you have to do? Did you buy a plug converter for charging the bike? Any feedback on the international buying process?

Thanks to all who respond. This site has been great for learning about pedelec bikes.