Pro-Connect first range test.

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
Hello all concerned.
Just finished my first range testing of my Pro-Connect and the results are very good.

Conditions.
49cm Pro-Connect.
18 tooth rear sprocket modification.
Male rider (not that fit).
5ft 11inch tall.
13stone 7lbs.
Pannier with total weight of 10lbs.
Total weight 199lbs.
Bike on high power all the way.

Fully charged to dead battery based on 5 identical commutes.
I basically lost 1 light on the battery for each commute.
Each commute was an average of 5.13 miles and 464 feet of climb (12hills), the max hill was a 1 in 10.

Results....

25miles which included 2,325 feet of ascent.

All data came from my Garmin etrex attached to the bike.
Data was then uploaded to my PC and compiled by my Fugawi mapping software.

I am very pleased with this result for a very hilly area like Sheffield.

Mid power setting range in the next few weeks.

Any comparisons?

Regards Bob.

Last edited:

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
Hi Bob,

Sounds good.

How are you working up your ascent value? Is there some crafty piece of software out there to help work this type of this out?

Regards,

Elephants
Sorry there.
Ive added it to the post now above.
I did it with a Garmin etrex and Fugawi mapping software.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks for those results Bob, it's a fine performance for that climb and on a Pro Connect geared up by 22%.

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
Thanks for those results Bob, it's a fine performance for that climb and on a Pro Connect geared up by 22%.
Thanks Tony.
My internal battery though continues to provide poor range.
Last battery light continuosly flashing.
Going for a major upgrade when I return from my Holidays.
Major weight loss and more training on the bike.

stokepa31_mk2

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 7, 2008
Crikey Bob thats stunning compared to what i'm getting on the medium setting on my agattu (26 miles) I guess the 6.5st extra i'm carrying round would appear to be the cause.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks Tony.
My internal battery though continues to provide poor range.
Last battery light continuosly flashing.
Going for a major upgrade when I return from my Holidays.
Major weight loss and more training on the bike.
:D........Don't overdo it though, it's supposed to be electric assist for the human, not human assist for the bike as with some e-bikes I could name. ;)

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
Crikey Bob thats stunning compared to what i'm getting on the medium setting on my agattu (26 miles) I guess the 6.5st extra i'm carrying round would appear to be the cause.
I get a flashing light after 20 miles (200 ft climb on the way home) but all in high mode. If I stick to medium/low except for the hills (or a quick power boost) I am left with 2 lights after 20 miles. This with an Agattu with 18 tooth sprocket. With the 22 tooth sprocket the range was 37 miles all in high mode, so quite a drop in range with the smaller sprocket.

Last edited:

poppy

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2008
Covas, Ferrol. La Coruña. Spain
:D........Don't overdo it though, it's supposed to be electric assist for the human, not human assist for the bike as with some e-bikes I could name. ;)
Flecc: Do us all Pro C. wannagets a favour by comparing the offered data of members with the touted info given by the 0ffical 50 Cycles. Or is that against your sense of impartiality? I don,t give a ... what some smartass may say-I, for one, generally go by your comments.

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
No I wont Tony.
Its just early days for me thats all.
I have noticed I am contributing more with the sprocket change though, but the bike does feel more like a proper bike now, as apposed to before, which is better for me.

The great thing about these bikes is that you can choose to be lazy or work harder if you wish.
I would have never had that option with the Torq.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Flecc: Do us all Pro C. wannagets a favour by comparing the offered data of members with the touted info given by the 0ffical 50 Cycles. Or is that against your sense of impartiality? I don,t give a ... what some smartass may say-I, for one, generally go by your comments.
50cycles don't offer an opinion as such, they repeat the official Kalkhoff information: Range up to 80 km assisted. (that's 50 miles)

My review of the similar Agattu supports that as I showed I can exceed that figure. However, if the off switch isn't used when assist isn't necessary or Eco isn't used, the range can fall to anything between 30 and 35 miles.

If the rider weight is very high, and/or the terrain is extremely hilly, that can also reduce the range.

If the rear sprocket is changed to gear up the bike, that reduces the range.

The rock bottom if everything is hopelessly unfavourable would still be well over 20 miles (32 km), still covering your popular trips. The highest with a very powerful rider in moderately rolling country could be approaching three figures.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The great thing about these bikes is that you can choose to be lazy or work harder if you wish.
That's very true, to my knowledge only two forum members seem to be skilled enough on throttle control to determine reliably how much they put in on the Torq 1 and get a very high range.

I certainly can't, the throttle fluctuations on bumpy roads make it impossible for me, so I just take the fairly lazy option and imagine the exercise. :rolleyes:

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
UPDATE.

After some workouts on the bike in the gym on holiday, my internal battery seems to have achieved an upgrade.

Instead of using 1st gear on the steeps, I now use 2nd gear.
The old heart and lung are starting to come to life.

New methods are high power on hearty hills and medium on the flats, though mainly high power.

Got 30miles out of the battery.

Just though I'd let everyone know.

Bob

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks Bob. You may be able to get down to medium most of the time, I personally prefered the Agattu that way, but of course I wasn't on a deadline to get to work, which always helps.

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
Thanks Bob. You may be able to get down to medium most of the time, I personally prefered the Agattu that way, but of course I wasn't on a deadline to get to work, which always helps.
No this isn't a commute test Tony, but a contiuous ride I did today.
Also I didnt add it included a 3000feet ascent in total.
Need to drag myself in the shower now though.

Regards Bob.

Last edited:

poppy

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2008
Hello all concerned.
Just finished my first range testing of my Pro-Connect and the results are very good.

Conditions.
49cm Pro-Connect.
18 tooth rear sprocket modification.
Male rider (not that fit).
5ft 11inch tall.
13stone 7lbs.
Pannier with total weight of 10lbs.
Total weight 199lbs.
Bike on high power all the way.

Fully charged to dead battery based on 5 identical commutes.
I basically lost 1 light on the battery for each commute.
Each commute was an average of 5.13 miles and 464 feet of climb (12hills), the max hill was a 1 in 10.

Results....

25miles which included 2,325 feet of ascent.

All data came from my Garmin etrex attached to the bike.
Data was then uploaded to my PC and compiled by my Fugawi mapping software.

I am very pleased with this result for a very hilly area like Sheffield.

Mid power setting range in the next few weeks.

Any comparisons?

Regards Bob.
I´ve got a BH/Panasonic 26v. 8Ah 240 w. motor. 2nd charge: On mixed terrain with not so many hills 2 quite steep, on top mode and never switch off 43 km.
1st charge: trying the bike for the first time, doing all sort of things in mixed terrain, gentle hills: 54 km.
3d charge: last light blinking slowly when I stopped: 57km. I think i had 3/km left. This 3rd time I used the bike"reasonably" in mixed terrain with a couple of steepish hills.
Does it help you in your analysis ha ha?
Poppy

poppy

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2008
No I wont Tony.
Its just early days for me thats all.
I have noticed I am contributing more with the sprocket change though, but the bike does feel more like a proper bike now, as apposed to before, which is better for me.

You could choose to work hard on the Torq tackling some hills, wouldn´t you? And of course, there is still the switch off mode ha ha!