Pro-Connect ordered?

dufus25

Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2008
Many years ago before derailleurs arrived, hub gears would last for many years, even decades of regular long distance commuting, simply because the cycling population all knew how to use them..
Takes me right back and your so right. long before the current disposable society we find ourselves in came to pass, I remembr my old bike as a kid whick had a sturmy hub that went on and on. dollop of oil in the pull of cap once in a while and thats it.

Is the pro connect the premium 8. sure I read somewhere they were not making the standard anymore.

Dufus

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm not certain of that, but it would seem to make sense now the Alfine has been introduced using mainly the 8's components. It seems unlikely that they'd want to run three 8 speed product lines using different components, especially as the earliest issue of the standard 8 speed gave some initial problems.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
My hub geared bikes are used for commuting to work in all weathers. I hammer down really hard on the peddles, up to 30mph on the flat. I found the nexus 7, which seems to be constructed out of eggshells to be an imperfect solution. So far the much improved 8 speed version has resisted for 3 years my attempts to grind it into fish paste.:)
That's good to hear Echowind, it certainly should be tougher given it's larger size. If they are treated properly they last of course, but changing on the fly always risks a chip from a tooth edge. From then on it's in the lap of the gods whether or when that metal particle meshes between two rotating cogs and destroys the hub.

Others haven't been as fortunate, and I know of two very experienced hub gear users who've mashed their 8 speed, both pedalling though changes.

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
Its 72 degree's
The sun is out.
Its gonna be out for at least the rest of the week.
God help us if we dont get our Pro-Connects this week !

Its the 6th May and 50cycles still have a April deliver for the Pro-Connect.
What a joke site.

musicbooks

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2007
Its 72 degree's
The sun is out.
Its gonna be out for at least the rest of the week.
God help us if we dont get our Pro-Connects this week !

QUOTE]

Fingers crossed for you guys..

I commuted to work today.. It was a real treat not to have to sit on an overcrowded stuffy slow bus .. Breezed up the hill to work in ten minutes.. My legs are getting a lot stronger now and the Kalkhoff is performing brilliantly.

bw
musicbooks

dufus25

Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2008
you need to take into accont driver downtime and customs etc. Usually means three or four day delivery from mainland europe.

Dufus

Larkspur

Pedelecer
Feb 19, 2008
S.W. Herts
Hi All

Just to let you all know, our first batch of 45S Pro Connect and Agattu have been dispatched and will be delivered to customers next week. This is a very exciting product for us and we hope to get photos of the 45S 26'' online when they arrive.

Tim is away for 1 week and we have just installed a new super checkout system that will show live stock levels on a daily basis on the website, there are lots of interesting things happening that will soon improve a customer experience of Electric Cycling.

For all those still waiting the stock is starting to flow now and we are receiving new models each week, most we have not seen before which is also very exciting for us as because each one brings something unique. There is a Pro connect in Loughborough at the moment should anybody want to try one.

We are currently moving locations at the moment, Demonstrations will now take place at our new Test Ride Centre as from Thursday. The unit will now be well sign posted due to the location being a bit smarter than the previous place.

Again sorry for the delay and thanks for your patience we are taking great measures to resolve any issues raised and build on all the positive aspects.

Please feel free to call or email at 50cycles@50cycles.com

Best regards

Scott
Thanks for the information Scott. I'm disappointed that there is is no mention of 57cm frame Pro Connects in the first batch but I do appreciate you posting this information. It would be great if you could post a weekly update on this forum until such time as stock is no longer an issue - I think there are a lot forum users who are eagerly their awaiting Kalkhoff bikes. Publishing stock levels on your website is a good idea.

Regards

Chris

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
Latest update.
No chance of any Pro-Connects in sight for another 2 weeks unless you are very small and have ordered the smallest frame.

rafepurnell

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 20, 2008
Latest update.
No chance of any Pro-Connects in sight for another 2 weeks unless you are very small and have ordered the smallest frame.

:eek: Shame...

Well I have finally bit the bullet and started cycling into work. I was using the excuse of waiting for my Pro Connect to be delivered. Work have provided me with a locker now, and I have bought all my stuff so I have run out of excuses.

As the next delivery will be 2 weeks plus I cant wait any longer.

I have borrowed a Dawes hardtail mountain bike and am on my Second day. I have tried 3 differnet mountain bikes over the past month so far and this one is the best I have use of. But not really a top end model by any stretch.

One thing that does worry me a little is that I am not finding the ride that hard. Its 12 miles and not that hilly. Of course the weather is glorious at the moment. What I am thinking is, that as I keep cycling and I get fitter, the ride is going to be easier.

As the delivery could be another 4 weeks, I may be at the stage where I dont need pedal assist. This is where I come to the big question.

The reason for buying a pedelec is to keep me cycling on those days when its chucking it down, or snowing or windy and cold. On those days, is the pedelec really that much of an advantage?

Not changing my mind yet. Just asking the question of those who use one regularly. Cos I thought the ride would be allot tougher.

Last edited:

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
:eek: Shame...

Well I have finally bit the bullet and started cycling into work. I was using the excuse of waiting for my Pro Connect to be delivered. Work have provided me with a locker now, and I have bought all my stuff so I have run out of excuses.

As the next delivery will be 2 weeks plus I cant wait any longer.

I have borrowed a Dawes hardtail mountain bike and am on my Second day. I have tried 3 differnet mountain bikes over the past month so far and this one is the best I have use of. But not really a top end model by any stretch.

One thing that does worry me a little is that I am not finding the ride that hard. Its 12 miles and not that hilly. Of course the weather is glorious at the moment. What I am thinking is, that as I keep cycling and I get fitter, the ride is going to be easier.

As the delivery could be another 4 weeks, I may be at the stage where I dont need pedal assist. This is where I come to the big question.

The reason for buying a pedelec is to keep me cycling on those days when its chucking it down, or snowing or windy and cold. On those days, is the pedelec really that much of an advantage?

Not changing my mind yet. Just asking the question of those who use one regularly. Cos I thought the ride would be allot tougher.
Good for you mate.
I would love to get a hire bike to do the same.
But im bikeless. I only have a folder with a knackered set of 6 gears.

PS did you start cycling to work today?
Cus you may feel it in the morning more!

Last edited:

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
Good for you mate.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

with hindsight..and the trouble with hindsight is its always late too.:rolleyes:
you could have bought a second hand e-bike for ther waiting period and sold it with hardly any loss on resale, at least it would have kept you on the road and your legs in shape as the first day you go out on your new bike when you get it...

"your gonna feel it in the morning" :rolleyes:

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
Good for you mate.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

with hindsight..and the trouble with hindsight is its always late too.:rolleyes:
you could have bought a second hand e-bike for ther waiting period and sold it with hardly any loss on resale, at least it would have kept you on the road and your legs in shape as the first day you go out on your new bike when you get it...

"your gonna feel it in the morning" :rolleyes:

With the price of the phone calls to 50cycles, I could have bought a ebike.
In the 12 weeks I have been waiting I could have ridding across the USA.

Everyday I wake and think "im gonna get it today" and then look in the mirror at the end of the day and think "you're Deluded, you need professional help".

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
just as nothing to do i looked at the spec of the new wisper and WOW what a difference to the old one..the power alone mode is 40 miles and pedal assist up to 60 miles...thats over twice what the old battery did, and a deristrict button too, although not as fast as the old ezzee with deristrict as wisper is 19.5mph...off road of course...not having really looked at other bikes as not in a position to change my quando as its a work horse that does exactly "what it says on the tin"...but for speed, power, and range are other bikes much better then this new wisper ?...have to admitt on first glance i didnt find it as "sexy" or "styleish" as i did first look at your pro connect...its horses for course isnt it...ive never gone for style much as my parents always drummed it into me that i would be better off with performance first and then looks...i wish i could have a week riding all these different bikes as they will be swings and roundabouts on their different features...

Last edited: