Pro-Connect ordered?

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
Just wondering which members have ordered Kalkhoff Pro-Connects.
Im already in regular contact via private messaging to a few other members, but if you want contact too then add a thread with which frame size you have ordered.

We share info regarding delivery dates and other stuff not posted here in the forums because.... well we all know why !

I've ordered a 53cm Frame.

Hope to hear from you !

Bob.

C

Cyclezee

Im already in regular contact via private messaging to a few other members, but if you want contact too then add a thread with which frame size you have ordered.

We share info regarding delivery dates and other stuff not posted here in the forums because.... well we all know why !

Hope to hear from you !

Bob.
Hi Bob, I was at 50c this morning to collect an Agattu, saw a couple of Pro-Connects. They look quite sporty and very smart I must say;)

John:)

dufus25

Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2008
Hi Bob, I was at 50c this morning to collect an Agattu, saw a couple of Pro-Connects. They look quite sporty and very smart I must say;)

John:)
So are the 53cm Agattus now in stock. the website still says any day!?!?

Dufus

C

Cyclezee

Julian
The Pro-Connects I saw looked like demonstration models.

Dufus25
The one I got was ordered in January. I think they just arrived this week and may have been sold.

John

Burnsey

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2007

Hope to hear from you !

Bob.
Hi Bob

I have ordered a 53cm Pro Connect also. Hope they come soon as the weather is starting to warm up

dufus25

Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2008
Phoned a week ago to ask when pro connects were due in and was told two weeks. so in theory they will be here by next friday!

Gone off the idea now and will wait to see if the hub gear issues persist. May have to consider a wisper now but I think they are a bit ugly. (no offence itended just not my bag).

Dufus

Burnsey

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2007
Phoned a week ago to ask when pro connects were due in and was told two weeks. so in theory they will be here by next friday!

Gone off the idea now and will wait to see if the hub gear issues persist. May have to consider a wisper now but I think they are a bit ugly. (no offence itended just not my bag).

Dufus
I phoned today and they said they were expecting the pro connects in two weeks

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

Dufus
The hub gear issues are with a batch of the Nexus Inter-7 hub on the Agattu models, but the Pro Connect uses the much newer design and larger Nexus 8 speed hub. Most of the eight's works are also used in their top of the range Alfine hub gear, so I wouldn't anticipate any particular problem with that.

The disconnection of the gear cable if necessary is said to be a bit difficult though, needing pliers and much cursing according to one source, but that's nothing to do with reliability of course.

Larkspur

Pedelecer
Feb 19, 2008
S.W. Herts

Hope to hear from you !

Bob.
Hello to all you fellow, prospective Pro Connect owners,

I ordered a 57cm frame Pro Connect in February. I emailed 50 Cycles this week for an update and was informed that there is now a steady flow of Kalkhoff deliveries from Derby Cycles in Germany: but they weren't able to say anthing specific about when the Pro Connects would arrive.

I'm trying to keep my natural excitement and anticpation in check, as there's obviously nothing to be done except wait. Perhaps this is an opportunity to get used to the more sedate pace of life that becoming a cyclist entails - either that or an excercise in stoicism :)

I think it would be great to keep in touch and share any information that comes our way regarding deliveries - later on, after bikes are delivered the discussion will naturally shift to a more technical focus. Maybe 50 Cycles would care to make a regular post to give us the latest, even if it's just to say that there's nothing new to report. I'm sure many of us would be grateful for the update and they'd probably have fewer phone calls and emails to deal with ;) I suspect that many of their customers visit this site.

All the best

Chris

Last edited:

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
Personally I think that 50cycles should contact its customers individually regarding their delivery of the Pro-Connect.
They have been too quick to add a post in the past about these issues and they have had their hand bitten off. Its too much of an easy option for them.

Dont stand for it!

I hope the bike wont be another 2 weeks cus they are already, again delayed past the production date of 28th April.

Has anyone been to 50cycles and demo'ed one of the Pro-Connects that are there?

C

Cyclezee

The hub gear issues are with a batch of the Nexus Inter-7 hub on the Agattu models, but the Pro Connect uses the much newer design and larger Nexus 8 speed hub. Most of the eight's works are also used in their top of the range Alfine hub gear, so I wouldn't anticipate any particular problem with that.

The disconnection of the gear cable if necessary is said to be a bit difficult though, needing pliers and much cursing according to one source, but that's nothing to do with reliability of course.

Disconnecting the gear cable on the Nexus 7 gear hub is a doddle. Just put the bike in 1st gear to relieve the cable tension and you can do it with your fingers. No tools required.

John

dufus25

Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2008

Thanks for pointing that out Flecc, I had'nt noticed. perhaps you and others may be able to clear something else up. I ve read tons of threads in trying to arrive at a bike to suit my needs and am still a bit confused regarding the range on the nexus. Are gears 6 and 7 very similar to 5 on a healthy hub. it seems from reading posts that there is some confusion as to whether its a fault or just a narrow range with no disernable difference in 5,6 and 7. I have a theory that perhaps 22 teeth on the sprocket is going to make for a very narrow range of the 7 gears and give whizzy cadence. what is the usual arrangment in terms of sprocket size on a non assist bike.

Dufus

echowind

Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2008
The nexus 7 speed has always been problematic, only the nexus 8 speed premium and Alfine are worth considering. Since Cannondale use these 8 speed hubs on some of their commuting bikes, long term reliability should be ok.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

Disconnecting the gear cable on the Nexus 7 gear hub is a doddle. Just put the bike in 1st gear to relieve the cable tension and you can do it with your fingers. No tools required.

John
Not like the different 8 speed arrangement which is nothing like as easy it seems, according to Velovision's Peter Eland, who is very experienced with hub gears. It's a very different hub of course, but baffling as to why they should change from the seven's easier arrangement.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks for pointing that out Flecc, I had'nt noticed. perhaps you and others may be able to clear something else up. I ve read tons of threads in trying to arrive at a bike to suit my needs and am still a bit confused regarding the range on the nexus. Are gears 6 and 7 very similar to 5 on a healthy hub. it seems from reading posts that there is some confusion as to whether its a fault or just a narrow range with no disernable difference in 5,6 and 7. I have a theory that perhaps 22 teeth on the sprocket is going to make for a very narrow range of the 7 gears and give whizzy cadence. what is the usual arrangment in terms of sprocket size on a non assist bike.

Dufus
Here's the ratios for the Nexus Inter-7, and below I've shown the percentage increases, from which you will see that they are fairly linear and not so close that they seem the same:

1 0.632:1

2 0.741:1

3 0.843:1

4 0.989:1

5 1.145:1

6 1.335:1

7 1.545:1

From 4th to 5th = 15.8%

From 5th to 6th = 16.6%

From 6th to 7th = 15.7%

When someone notices little or no difference, it's normally an indication that their hub is faulty.

The sprocket size doesn't alter the ratio differences of course, but I guess you mean that high cadences makes it more difficult to see differences, and that could well be true.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The nexus 7 speed has always been problematic, only the nexus 8 speed premium and Alfine are worth considering. Since Cannondale use these 8 speed hubs on some of their commuting bikes, long term reliability should be ok.
The 7 can be ok when used by that rare breed these days, someone used to hub gears who always pauses for changes, hence my reviews Extra section advice on that.

Pedalling through the changes as Shimano advise doing, especially when applying pedal force, will cause trouble, but that's eventually true of all of them, some just lasting a bit longer.

Many years ago before derailleurs arrived, hub gears would last for many years, even decades of regular long distance commuting, simply because the cycling population all knew how to use them. The dominance of derailleurs over the last thirty years and more, coupled with Shimano's silly advice has led to a ridiculously high hub gear failure rate, and all quite unnecessary.

Simple rules for very long hub gear life:

Pause pedalling for every change.

If the change is reluctant give the merest back pedal as part of the pause to ease cog engagement.

Try to select the right gear for a climb before starting it, since a snatched change once climbing often leads to gear tooth chipping.

Think of the pause in pedalling as the equivalent of using a car's clutch when changing gears, for that's exactly what it is, a way of taking the load off to ensure a damage free change.

Erik

Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2008
I will just add that the motor seems to pull for maybe half a second after you stopped pedalling, which gives some nasty crunching sounds during changing.

echowind

Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2008
My hub geared bikes are used for commuting to work in all weathers. I hammer down really hard on the peddles, up to 30mph on the flat. I found the nexus 7, which seems to be constructed out of eggshells to be an imperfect solution. So far the much improved 8 speed version has resisted for 3 years my attempts to grind it into fish paste.:)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I will just add that the motor seems to pull for maybe half a second after you stopped pedalling, which gives some nasty crunching sounds during changing.
In that case, best to pause a bit more Erik. That power overrun doesn't normally happen on the Panasonic unit, and it may be the pedelec drum unit's action will settle with more use. The power should then stop the moment you stop pedalling.