Pro-Connect Tyre upgrade

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
Just thought I'd let anyone know I changed my Pro-Connect tyres for the Marathon plus tyres with new tubes to boot (Schwalbe vavles)
The new tyres are much better than the continental contact extralights.
These give a much more solid and reassuring ride. They dont feel any heavier.
I changed due to the issues of the woods valves (why did they fit those?) and to get better puncture protection for my regular commute to work.

Anyone else got the marathon plus tyres on their Pro-Connect yet!

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
Just thought I'd let anyone know I changed my Pro-Connect tyres for the Marathon plus tyres with new tubes to boot (Schwalbe vavles)
The new tyres are much better than the continental contact extralights.
These give a much more solid and reassuring ride. They dont feel any heavier.
I changed due to the issues of the woods valves (why did they fit those?) and to get better puncture protection for my regular commute to work.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

dare i ask..how much have you added to the initial cost with all these bits of work you done on it.....we wont count time/sweat and type ink as that would swell the total out of reality.....

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
Well it was only a small cost for the extra gear I would have to buy to get anything to fit these stupid woods valves.
The kit I bought already that does not fit woods valve would have been money down the drain anyway.
The tyres give me the piece of mind I needed to avoid punctures when coming and going to work each day.
I didnt have that with the continental contact extralight's.
I'll sell these on and get some return on them anyway.

For me these are the issues that make the Pro-Connect, not quite the ideal commuting bike for me, so thats my rational.

If your gonna pay £1000+ for this bike then start worrying about the pennies and the pounds, then my advise is dont order this bike.

These are the upgrades that I feel this bike needs after a few weeks of use and im new to cycling.

If you want the costs it was £56 all in.
£46 for the marathon plus x 2 and the local bike shop had a buy 3 for 2 offer on the tubes. 2 on the bike and one spare. £10.

Regards Bob.

Pat

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 18, 2008
For anyone considering upgrading the tyres I would recommend to check out the Schwalbe Marathon Supreme which are superior to the Marathon Plus imho.

Pat

C

Cyclezee

I changed the Continental City Ride tyres on my wave frame Agattu (OK it's not a Pro-Connect) after the first puncture. I was lucky enough to get a new pair of M+ from a local private seller on eBay, £30 the pair. Whilst I was at it, I changed the tubes for Bontragers with Schrader valves, £3 each.
Although the City Rides have a lower rolling resistance and give a 'softer' ride, I'm ever so slightly paranoid about punctures, but the therapy seems to be helping.
I hesitate to say this, but to date I have not had a puncture on my diamond frame Agattu, so the City Rides and Woods valve tubes remain fitted to that one.

I now have 3 bikes with 3 different valves, Schrader, Woods and Presta. This is a slightly inconvenient arrangement, but not a major problem, I just have to use an adapter to pump up the Woods. I have no intention to change the tubes unless I have to, but if I did, it would be for Schrader valve tubes.

J:) hn

Last edited by a moderator:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
For anyone considering upgrading the tyres I would recommend to check out the Schwalbe Marathon Supreme which are superior to the Marathon Plus imho.

Pat
Many tyres are Pat, but they don't have the same puncture resistance, which is most member's rationale for changing to them on e-bikes where punctures can be more difficult to handle for weight and sometimes wheel motor reasons.

We've had another member previously constantly posting that the Big Apples were the way to go, but again that missed the point of this change, bringing punctures to an absolute minimum. Continental now make a similar security one with the thick inner layer.

Lordylordy

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
Wimbledon. London
Hi Burncycle
Yeah, I've fitted Marathon + too, though forgot to change the tubes :( So - where can I get an adapter for this 'Woods' valve. I haven't had to pump up the tyres yet.

I agree - if you're going to spend this sort of money on a bike it's worth the extra upgrades. (Not sure the wife agrees though :D)

My commute takes me along some fairly rough terrain across Wimbledon Common, so I've even considered front hydraulics on the forks. What do you think? :confused:

Cheers.

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
Just been looking at the Schwalbe site & they say in their bike tyres tech info PDF that modern Dunlop/Woods valves should no longer be difficult to inflate, with modern valve cores, and that Schwalbe's dunlop valves allow return airflow so inflation pressure can be checked with AIRMAX pressure gauge.

Might be worth trying out a Schwalbe Dunlop tube then, if the kalkhoffs don't already use them? I recall ChrisBike saying he couldn't understand the inflation difficulties many seem to have had with the Woods valves, so maybe its the valves of the 'stock' tubes causing the main problem? Anyone tried other tubes than the stock ones?

From Schwalbe's 2008 tyre catalogue (6.6 MB PDF) the m-Supreme gets a 'very good' rating for puncture protection vs 'outstanding' for the m-plus, and for durability its good, vs very good for the m-plus... the m-supreme wins out for weight/speed & grip though (very good & outstanding, with very good grip in wet) vs average & good for the m-plus, though rolling resistance is good for both.

I find the minimal/zero weight penalty of m-plus (its really none compared to kenda K-shield or specialized armadillo elite tyres) and low rolling-resistance to be excellent value considering the outstanding flat resistance and durability they offer :). (I've also heard that m-supremes cost considerably more? :D)

Stuart.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
My commute takes me along some fairly rough terrain across Wimbledon Common, so I've even considered front hydraulics on the forks. What do you think? :confused:

Cheers.
Mmmmm. Not so sure that's a good idea, it could introduce all sorts of problems. The moderate priced suspension forks are generally a bit poor, either sloppy joints or seizing up after a while, and the expensive ones cost crazy amounts. The brake mounting is likely to be changed from it present rear position, and of course the weight would go up markedly.

It's better to buy the Agattu in the first place if suspension is wanted.

Another possibility is the Pantour front hub, removing the worst of the shocks without altering the character of the bike. Have a look at it both static and working on this webpage:

Pantour suspension hub.

At least one member (at Sutton near to you) uses one of these and swears by it.

Larkspur

Pedelecer
Feb 19, 2008
S.W. Herts
Well it was only a small cost for the extra gear I would have to buy to get anything to fit these stupid woods valves.
The kit I bought already that does not fit woods valve would have been money down the drain anyway.
The tyres give me the piece of mind I needed to avoid punctures when coming and going to work each day.
I didnt have that with the continental contact extralight's.
I'll sell these on and get some return on them anyway.

For me these are the issues that make the Pro-Connect, not quite the ideal commuting bike for me, so thats my rational.

If your gonna pay £1000+ for this bike then start worrying about the pennies and the pounds, then my advise is dont order this bike.

These are the upgrades that I feel this bike needs after a few weeks of use and im new to cycling.

If you want the costs it was £56 all in.
£46 for the marathon plus x 2 and the local bike shop had a buy 3 for 2 offer on the tubes. 2 on the bike and one spare. £10.

Regards Bob.
You're not wrong about the costs Bob. As a newbie to cycling myself I have so far incurred the following costs in addition to the purchase price of the Pro-Connect:

Helmet £20, Fluorescent Waterproof Jacket £35, DhB Panniers £50, Abus Granit D lock £64, Pump £19, Woods to Shrader valve converters £3.40, Slime £8 (mistake), Padded cycle shorts (necessary due to 30 miles a day in the saddle) £18, Base layer top £13

TOTAL £230 (and haven't changed tyres or done sprocket conversion yet)

Lordylordy

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
Wimbledon. London
Mmmmm. Not so sure that's a good idea, it could introduce all sorts of problems. The moderate priced suspension forks are generally a bit poor, either sloppy joints or seizing up after a while, and the expensive ones cost crazy amounts. The brake mounting is likely to be changed from it present rear position, and of course the weight would go up markedly.

It's better to buy the Agattu in the first place if suspension is wanted.

Another possibility is the Pantour front hub, removing the worst of the shocks without altering the character of the bike. Have a look at it both static and working on this webpage:

Pantour suspension hub.

At least one member (at Sutton near to you) uses one of these and swears by it.
Thanks flecc - your genius continues to amaze me!!

This does indeed look like the perfect solution. I wasn't aware such a thing existed.

I'll see if my local bike shop can supply and fit one for me.

Re. Agattu...mmm, on reflection you may be right, but I was under the impression that the Pro Connect was in fact an even better bike - more power (to weight?) ratio etc. It wasn't just a different looking bike. Was I wrong?

Cheers,

Simon

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
Hi Burncycle
Yeah, I've fitted Marathon + too, though forgot to change the tubes :( So - where can I get an adapter for this 'Woods' valve. I haven't had to pump up the tyres yet.

I agree - if you're going to spend this sort of money on a bike it's worth the extra upgrades. (Not sure the wife agrees though :D)

Cheers.
I wouldnt advise changing the front forks Lordylordy.
My next upgrade would be a sprung seatpost for the Pro-Connect, although bike budget is now over for the next few months.
I find that if you're on the flat doing 15-17mph and hit a bump its OK.
Though any faster and you hit a bump and you really feel it.
When I test rode the Agattu you could really feel the benefit of the seatpost.
This upgrade would also be a much cheaper also.

Anyone recommend any good to primo sprung seat posts?
Maybe a potential xmas pressy for me!

Lordylordy

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
Wimbledon. London
I wouldnt advise changing the front forks Lordylordy.
My next upgrade would be a sprung seatpost for the Pro-Connect, although bike budget is now over for the next few months.
I find that if you're on the flat doing 15-17mph and hit a bump its OK.
Though any faster and you hit a bump and you really feel it.
When I test rode the Agattu you could really feel the benefit of the seatpost.
This upgrade would also be a much cheaper also.

Anyone recommend any good to primo sprung seat posts?
Maybe a potential xmas pressy for me!
Good idea burncycle.

Must admit, I thought my arse was lardy enough to provide its own padding on the saddle, but even with the extra gel pad I've added, it's not lardy enough!! ;)

Along with Fleccs solution I've got no excuse now not to lose some of that lard then!! :eek:

Cheers.

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
Good idea burncycle.

Must admit, I thought my arse was lardy enough to provide its own padding on the saddle, but even with the extra gel pad I've added, it's not lardy enough!! ;)

Along with Fleccs solution I've got no excuse now not to lose some of that lard then!! :eek:

Cheers.
Yes but it's the buttocks that hold all the fat.
Though the bit in the middle (wont go into details) is practically fat free.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks flecc - your genius continues to amaze me!!

This does indeed look like the perfect solution. I wasn't aware such a thing existed.

I'll see if my local bike shop can supply and fit one for me.

Re. Agattu...mmm, on reflection you may be right, but I was under the impression that the Pro Connect was in fact an even better bike - more power (to weight?) ratio etc. It wasn't just a different looking bike. Was I wrong?

Cheers,

Simon
The Pro Connect is a bit lighter, though much of that would disappear if sprung forks were added. As for power to weight, you need to include your own weight. If you were 12 stones for example, and we assume a nominal 400 watts for the unit the power to weight ratios would be:

Agattu: 3.9 watts per kilo

Pro Connect: 4.1 watts per kilo

so miracles unlikely with that 5% gain in power to weight. :)

Kinetics are a main agent for the Pantour hub if your dealer needs to know:

Kinetics

Lordylordy

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
Wimbledon. London
The Pro Connect is a bit lighter, though much of that would disappear if sprung forks were added. As for power to weight, you need to include your own weight. If you were 12 stones for example, and we assume a nominal 400 watts for the unit the power to weight ratios would be:

Agattu: 3.9 watts per kilo

Pro Connect: 4.1 watts per kilo

so miracles unlikely with that 5% gain in power to weight. :)

Kinetics are a main agent for the Pantour hub if your dealer needs to know:

Kinetics
Thanks again Flecc...maybe the Agattu would have been a better choice then :eek:

I'll get in touch with Kinetics and let you know what happens.

Cheers.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Ok Simon let us know. Kinetics do a wheel building service to go with the hub, and with not much more than the rim cost added, you could just get a complete 700c wheel from them, so you'd a have a spare front wheel.

The Pantour isn't a cheap hub, so best be sat down with a flexible credit card when you ring. :D

It's a well built job though.

c_elder

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2007
Tyre Size

Can anybody who has changed their tyres to Marathon Plus on their Pro-Connect (49cm frame) confirm what the correct size of Marathon Plus I need to order?

Thank you in advance.

PS, I tried to pump up my tyres using the valves that come with the bike (Wood?) ... Blo..dy hell...................

What is the correct name for normal car tyre valves?

echowind

Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2008
Many tyres are Pat, but they don't have the same puncture resistance, which is most member's rationale for changing to them on e-bikes where punctures can be more difficult to handle for weight and sometimes wheel motor reasons.

We've had another member previously constantly posting that the Big Apples were the way to go, but again that missed the point of this change, bringing punctures to an absolute minimum. Continental now make a similar security one with the thick inner layer.
The member with the big apple fetish is me. I agree flec the marathon plus does have a little better puncture protection. But I doubt its that much better. however I do feel that big apples are the best commuting tyre currently available. They roll faster than just about any other tyre and ride quality is vastly improved due to their inbuilt suspension, this is possible because of the wide air cushion and their ability to roll well at low pressures/ a godsend on a bike like the pro connect with no suspension. Having commuted and toured 1000's of miles on big apples for the last 2 years I have yet to endure a single puncture.:mad: only fly in the ointment being these tyres are not yet available in 700cc.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
only fly in the ointment being these tyres are not yet available in 700cc.
I think the problem they see there is that many lightweight 700c bikes just don't have the fork width and height clearance for Big Apples. A high proportion of sports bikes can't even have mudguards added, the skinny tyres being so close to the fork crown. My brother's two bikes are like that.

So sadly they may never appear.