Pro-Connect Tyre upgrade

JamesC

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2007
Peterborough, UK
Can anybody who has changed their tyres to Marathon Plus on their Pro-Connect (49cm frame) confirm what the correct size of Marathon Plus I need to order?

Thank you in advance.

PS, I tried to pump up my tyres using the valves that come with the bike (Wood?) ... Blo..dy hell...................

What is the correct name for normal car tyre valves?
I have changed front and back tyres on my ProConnect (49cm frame) to Marathon +, and there are a couple of points to note concerning the mudguard clearance.

The Continental tyres that are fitted as standard are 37-622 / 28" x 1 3/8" x 1 5/8" and I think that the direct equivalent for the M+ is the 37-622 / 700 x 35C. Certainly the 700 is correct, the query being the height of the 35C.

I have fitted one size fatter than this (the 700 x 38C) because I am used to riding with them on my Torq1 and like the small amount of extra resilience. Indeed they feel great on the ProConnect.

However, there was a little bit of extra work to do to move the mudguards a little further away from the tyre, as the M+ tyres both rubbed through being deeper.

On the front this is very easy; slacken the clamp on the mudguard stay and slide the mudguard a little further away.

Similarly on the back mudguard, except that the pair of stubby stays immediately under the carrier (attached via the nuts and bolts holding the rear light) have negligible adjustment. Here, I removed the stays and trimmed about 7 mm off the length of the stays, so that the mudguard could lift nearer the carrier. It is a simple job.

It is quite possible that the puncture proof layer in the tyre makes each size in the range a little taller than average. It is also possible that only the small 49cm frame bike has the mudguard so close to the surface of the tyre.

With the 700 x 38C tyres, I used the Schwalbe AV17 tubes which have the car type Schrader valves.

I have used this combination for the past 2000 miles on my Torq without any punctures.

So to answer your question, I would suggest the 700 x 35C is the one to go for, unless you like a little more resilience. The Shimano WH-8R25 (rear) wheel is rated for tyres between 700 x 28C to 700 x 47C, and I think the same range applies to the front wheel.

On the subject of the depth of the tyre, it does affect the calibration of the Cateye Velo speed/mileometer.

The Continental tyres had a circumference of 217 cm, whereas the M+ tyres came out with 219 cm, being exactly the same as various members had concluded when these tyres are fitted to the Torq.

James

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
As James says, the M+ is a taller tyre due to it's protection layer.

Unfortunately that makes the 35 much harder than the 38 than might be expected, a higher proportion of it being the protection layer.

I use a 35 on the motorised rear wheel of my Torq derived T bike and it's very much harder feeling than the 38 size I've used on other bikes.

c_elder

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2007
...The Continental tyres that are fitted as standard are 37-622 / 28" x 1 3/8" x 1 5/8" and I think that the direct equivalent for the M+ is the 37-622 / 700 x 35C. Certainly the 700 is correct, the query being the height of the 35C...
Thanx James. I have decided to go for the 700 x 38C based on the experiences of you and Flecc.

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
Hi all.
Back from my Holiday.
Ive got the 700X37 tyres for my Pro Connect and I havn't had any mudguard clearance.
PS Has anyone got their 53cm Pro Connects while Ive been away?

stokepa31_mk2

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 7, 2008
Hi Bob

hope you've had a good break. I think its fair to say you probably had better weather than us. I bought marathons to put on my bike but they are still sat in the box. I really like the way the continentals roll so am sticking with them. no punctures so far (touch wood) in 600 miles.

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
Yep I had a great time.
Weather was in the 90's.
I do agree the rolling is better with the old tyres, but the new M+'s do give a more firmer ride which i like better.

TomB

Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2008
Continental tyres wanted

if anybody would like to off load their old pro connect continental tyres i would be happy to give a fair price for them.

i think they are folders so would be very easy to post.:)

WALKERMAN

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2008
Pro Connect Tyres

Just thought I'd let anyone know I changed my Pro-Connect tyres for the Marathon plus tyres with new tubes to boot (Schwalbe vavles)
The new tyres are much better than the continental contact extralights.
These give a much more solid and reassuring ride. They dont feel any heavier.
I changed due to the issues of the woods valves (why did they fit those?) and to get better puncture protection for my regular commute to work.

Anyone else got the marathon plus tyres on their Pro-Connect yet!
I finally received my 53cm Pro Connect last Thursday. It is already fitted with Scwalbe Marathon Racer tyres 40-622 128x1.50 400x38C:confused:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I finally received my 53cm Pro Connect last Thursday. It is already fitted with Scwalbe Marathon Racer tyres 40-622 128x1.50 400x38C:confused:
Looks like a change of specification. Manufacturers get availability problems and are sometimes forced into this, but I've noticed Derby Cycles try to cope with differing supplies by putting one type on the Kalkhoff Agattu/Pro-Connect, the other on the identical Raleigh Leicester/Dover bikes.

Those Schwalbes should roll as easily as the Continentals though.

artslim

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 24, 2008
Got my new Pro Connect.

I have received my Pro Connect (57 size) and went out for a ride. I found that it performs well on the road but as one other contributer mentioned you feel every bump. When I went onto the path around the marshes the ride was terrible, it was like riding over a cattle grid most of the way. Could the tyres be overinflated or are these Continental Contact Extra Light tyres for speed freaks or road racing. When I had my Yamaha XPC electric bike (Circa 2002) I used to bomb around the off road cycle paths and it was a really comfortable ride and as far as I can remember there were no suspension forks or seat post. Why is this so? Have Kalkoff deiberately made these bikes for masochists or for speed riders, if the latter then what is the point of the motor? I do not know what the tyre pressures should be so I would not know whether they are over inflated but they feel rock hard. Can anyone suggest a set of tyres that will fit my Pro Connect 57 frame that will give a comfortable ride with a good degree of puncture resistance. What I want is to be able to enjoy riding my bike in at least some degree of comfort. I did not buy the bike to get from A to B as fast as is possible and in as much discomfort as possible.As for the manual that you receive with the bike, there is no specification list at all.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The recommended tyre pressure range is usually on the tyre wall, shown as minimum and maximum figures. Using the minimum should help, and you could add a sprung seatpost if you are tall enough for the extra couple of inches that would add. Alternatively, a larger tyre section would help, but the space is restricted. A local dealer may be able to advise a better tyre choice.

It sounds to me as though you were really a customer for the Agattu model, that being the comfort version, the Pro Connect intended to be the sporting version. The Agattu is very comfortable on Continental Cityride tyres with sprung forks and seatpost.

Last edited:

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Im not sure Art, I got mine specifically for commuting on-road, but instead of my journey taking an hour, I can do it in 40 mins or less, the same speed as the car.

I always felt that this bike was meant for commuting on road. What do others think? How do they use their Pro Connects?

John

john c

Jun 30, 2008
pro connect

I use my pro connect on a daily 11 mile commute and I must admit the bike does transmit every lump and bump. However it does make you concentrate more on the road ahead and the advantages of the bike far outweigh the hard ride!

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
Hi Artslim,
I've a Pro Connect and the ride is very rough on the whole.
Sometimes it makes your brain judder and your eyesight wobble if you go over a number of ripples in the road.
There's only one cure for this and it's get a sprung seat stem to replace the standard one.
I got one last week and the whole bikes rides much better now.
Bumps in the road have now gone and im finding that I ride the bike much better too.
This is because the handlebars are quite twitchy if not given you main attention, and you can loose this when suffering bumps on the bike.

You will of course increase the weight on the bike, but its worth it !

Unless you have a Pro-Connect yourself no-one will know what we mean.
The Agattu owners ride is outstanding compaired.

Hope this help you.

Bob.

artslim

Jul 24, 2008
Pro Connect. Rough Ride.

Thanks for the info Bob, I will get one of those sprung seat posts and see how it goes. Have you thought about getting another set of tyres to soften the ride? Or did yours come with a set other than the continentals.
Regards artslim.

oriteroom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2008
Hi Artslim,
There's only one cure for this and it's get a sprung seat stem to replace the standard one.
I got one last week and the whole bikes rides much better now.

Bob.
Hi Bob

Got a Pro Connect - diamond frame a couple on months (well 2 actually as my wife wanted a step thru' one as well). We both find them GREAT having come from 2 lead-en Powabykes. The one thing we're missing is the comfort of a sprung seat post. Where did you get your sprung post for the Pro-Connect? - 50cycles?

Regards.

Mike