Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Flecc,

When 250 watts are max allowed for the law Flecc your 560 watts are surely possible, but only after some tampering happened for petrol bikes in the NL were allowed to have a max of 2,000 watts and only after some tampering they can be jacked up to 14,000 watts or more. Now a petrol bike can obviously not be compared with an electrical bike, but i never heard about electrical motors who have an output of 250 watts, but with a peak power of 560 watts. Well lets put it this may my technical knowledge is probably outdated and you never tampered with your bike right just like i never did'

Freek
Nothing whatsover to do with tampering Freek. I've explained that the 250 watts is not an actual power figure. It exists for legal purposes only and represents a notional average over time on a journey, not an actual power.

Please understand that virtually no e-bikes as sold have peak powers of 250 watts. Here's some examples of typical peak powers for you:

Kalkhoff Agattu: 420 watts

eZee Sprint: 500 watts

Powacycle Salisbury LPX: 295 watts

Powabyke SLA: 700 watts

eZee Quando: 576 watts

Giant Twist 1 and 2: 400 watts

I am not a dishonest person as you seem to be inferring. If I had produced 576 watts from the Quando by tampering, I would have stated so at the time. On the contrary, I did say the Quando was standard in that account which you dismissed as advertising.

I wasn't advertising anything, just as ever volunteering information for others for no reward as I do in this forum. Giving freely is obviously a concept you cannot recognise, and I feel sorry for you on that account. It must be miserable to have such a mercenary view of life.

Jeremy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 25, 2007
Salisbury
Freek,

As someone who has actually measured motor power on three different set-ups now I can confirm that Flecc is absolutely right. Even one of the smallest and lowest powered hub motor units used on a range of bikes here draws just under 15 amps at 36 volts (which is a maximum power of 540 watts). This unit is actually rated, according to it's label, as having an average power of 180 watts!

You need to understand that the law specifies an average power, but actually doesn't prohibit a motor with a very much higher maximum power. In principle, an ebike could have a maximum peak power of a few kilowatts, provided that the average was kept below 250 watts. All ebikes exploit this, bar none. I have never seen a controller that will limit power to 250 watts, virtually all allow at least 400 watts or more for a short time.

To accuse anyone here of "tampering" is, again, grossly unfair, especially as it's untrue in the case of the Quando.

As I mentioned above, it seems very much as if Gaynor's Quando is both very badly set-up (something very simply fixed) and may also have a problem with the electrical system. To assume that she has a perfect example of an ebike that many, many others have found to be a good hill climber is plainly absurd - her bike is quite obviously in need of some serious attention.

Jeremy

Gaynor

Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2006

Gaynor

Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2006
To accuse anyone here of "tampering" is, again, grossly unfair, especially as it's untrue in the case of the Quando.
Ive read of a few members altering their E bikes to make it faster, I remember ezee didnt recommend this as it may void the warrenty.

Gaynor

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
As I mentioned above, it seems very much as if Gaynor's Quando is both very badly set-up (something very simply fixed) and may also have a problem with the electrical system. To assume that she has a perfect example of an ebike that many, many others have found to be a good hill climber is plainly absurd - her bike is quite obviously in need of some serious attention.

Jeremy
Gaynor has the eZee Li-ion battery from December 2006, and as we know that generation of batteries had trouble as they aged and hers at 18 months old will not measure up to those hills. It would have done when new though as this from Gaynor's December 2006 post seems to indicate:

"The hills are much easier than my old acid lead Elran bike"

I've not suggested solving the battery problem yet since to do so with brakes in that state would be irresponsible of course.

As I noted before, Gaynor is unfortunately very badly served for cycle dealers in Hastings, the lack of them seeming as if no-one rides bikes there. I can't solve that of course, but being a small wheel folder, with the battery out a public transport trip to one of the nearby better served towns is viable to hand the bike to a competent dealer for brake repairs.

Jeremy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 25, 2007
Salisbury
It is a bit of a problem not having a good bike shop nearby. It's a shame that I live so far away, as I'd happily pop over and try and sort out the brakes and take a look at the battery state if she were nearer, as would a few others on here with the competence to do some basic servicing, I expect.

Jeremy

Gaynor

Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2006
Is this not you....?

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/150-accident.html

exactly 18 months ago to the day.

Yes, Of course it's me. I bought my bike at that time, at the time the brakes failed, as I said many times they 'pinged off', resulting in injury, I could of taking the company to court.
I should of got my money back there and then, but instead waited a very long time for the repair to be done, and get the bike back, that seemed to be lost somewhere with the delivery company, who didn't seem to know what was happening either! Also I got the bike back with even more repairs to be fixed, I was told to ask a bike shop to do the job, but as I said many times even the electric bike shop (now closed) had no experience with my type of electric bike, and would not help, I have been to all the shops in Hastings And St Leonard's, and am willing to travel anywhere, if only I can get the problem solved.
If I could use the tech terms for the problems it would make life soooo much easier, but the brake on the right is useless, although the brake under the bike is still attached, which is not the same as the problem on the right side, the left side being more serious as when I have asked local mechanic's if they can help me, they tried to adjust the handebar/brake, and also my bf done the same when he came to visit (Cant wait only 2 days to go Wooohooo :D )
I already stated what happened the 2nd time I used my bike, in a FLAT area in Tonbridge, I didn't ride fast, I didn't ride over any bumps, I didn't do anything that would cause the brake to suddenly open, which I was unaware off, I dont get this, I already explained that this happened, so yes, of course that's me, my post about what happened.
Just 2 weeks ago the 2nd brake failed, it opened without any bumps, or fast riding, I am extra careful under the circumstances, so what am I meant to do, put the bike in a lock up and leave it there.
The problem with the handlebar is that if someone tries to fix that it results in the loss of power, so a heavy bike with no power, or ride VERY carefully with what I have, usually I walk along the side of the bike so I can carry my shopping home, I bought the bike to actually ride it.

I can almost see your expression as you look for my early replies and think ah ive got something against her, but you wont find that, I only speak of the problems that have happened since I have received this bike. Not little I might add.

As I was saying to my partner about this site, and being burned down, I phoned him and he saw the replies, he has seen my bike and knows the condition its in, also my family saw the condition it was in the 2nd time it was in use, Also a family friend can vouch for the state it was in when I received it the 2nd time. ... god, I feel like déjà vu, or ground hog day, as it seems only a few are reading me with in a neutral way.
I will repeat, just once more, when I bought my bike I got an email saying I would get commission if I let a newcomer use my bike and a purchase was made, it's called commission.
My words have been twisted, and made to look bad, when I wrote out of frustration, I apologised to Flec, for making assumptions, and then the insults to me continue, no longer are the issues raised about my bike important.
People that have been rude to me have only made themselfs look bad.
Oh and Btw, I did not say Flecs bike couldnt take the hills, I said my bike couldnt take the steep hills, that are 2 miles - 6 miles up up and up!

It is quite obvious that my grammer, and way of putting a post together isnt that great (thats what you get for working at a very early age, and not attending school)
I hope theres a better understanding of the situation, I hope anyway.
It is so frustrating when you only want to use something that you paid and saved for, that is very needed in times of emergency.

Gaynor

PS
Keithhazel
I started the thread 2 nights ago, not a week, as you stated.

Last edited:

Gaynor

Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2006
Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

You say to accuse something from tampering, why would you call that accusing i dont see anything wrong with that myself, but i suppose the way i worded things might look like an accusation, but its not, same goes for you Flecc what do i care if you would get commision you would be quite stupid not to grab that for i can assure you i would if i had the chance so no i did not insinuate that you would be dishonest, ah well.

Anyway regarding tampering for why by far i find that very acceptable let me explain why it can even be a necessity, in the NL a bike, when a helmet is required, is allowed up to the absurd speed of 30 whole miles an hour, but in the cities cars are allowed to do roughly 38 miles/hour (50km/hour in metrics, 45km hour for the bikes) only they dont do 38 miles/hour no make that easily 45-50miles an hour there i come with my snaillike 30mile/hour bike having the duty to drive on the street instead of previously the bicycle path that makes cars very impatient starting to push me aside, horning, geting irritated making me hit the street literally resulting in some idiot doing that and he saw me going down stopped 50 yards further saw me crawling up and drove on until i found the same idiot and made quite clear i was not pleased, details aside well plainly dangerous.

Now this sounds opposite yes, but my light bike(180lbs weight, 82 kilo's) does roughly 60miles/hour making it safer in trafic being able to keep up with the cars, except for one thing when cops would see that and grab me goodbye bike well what i know about the max allowed UK speed for an ebike is 17miles/hour right, that's a speed i consider as more then plenty in fact when no helmet is required AND using bicycle paths allowed, still those 17miles/hour doable on a flat road without wind always and consistent?
Doubtfull therefore if some tampering by making the max output say 800 watts thereby creating the possibility to atleast always maintain those 17miles/hour if wanted, until the battery gives up ofcourse, does not look inappropriate to me, but ofcourse that is also against the law in the UK right.
Anyway so far my reasons for why i see nothing wrong about tampering when that's taken as an accusation when it was not meant as such then so be it i dont withdraw one word when i didn't mean something, but taken as such, however i could have elaborated some more about my own ideas about tampering or souping up a bike.

What you explain me about electrical motors is quite interesting stuff i know as good as nothing about electrical motors as opposed to the gasoline ones obviously. So in that case i withdraw my words towards Flecc regarding peakpower statements and such, because he is undeniably right so gone words from my side.

Ow really so for the law only the average power counts so when on or below 250 watts no problem when the peak would generate a few kilowatts well that is a luxury in my view when you know how to deal with those electrical motors something i dont else i would give Gaynor's bike the required treatment, but except for fixing the breaks i would not dare to touch the electrical system.
I remember beginning this year when i liked to make the distance from the lever to the handle smaller in order the break would bite faster and stronger by screwing the steelwire inside that black tube you know more to the outside well perfect the break worked better, but the motor wouldn't work anymore for apparantly by extenting the distance from the beginning from that black small tube off the point it gets into the hole also extended a wire a tiny bit to far and contact was prevented so an easy fix that's not the point only when that's the result of simply re adjusting that break well.
Btw i noticed the word 'break' is written like 'brake' here i thought the english word for brake is break, but probably not when everybody used the word 'brake'. My real name btw is Freek not some handle to pronounce as 'frake' made me think about 'brake.'.

No definately not that Gaynor has a perfect example of an ebike like you call them and sure i know there is a lot wrong with the thing talking the electrical system only, but when you mention 'something very simple fixed' yes why not, but by whom so i mean could anybody do that like me for example with the right instructions or would this be a simple job for somebody specialized only?

Another issue is that Gaynor's battery is as good as gone(those words i base on the exceeded 600 times charging and emptying, including the few miles max and its over) so its whether a new battery AND a complete restauration of the electrical system else for approx. 750 pounds i get her a motorised bike, a new one ofcourse from an Asian brand aside from Japan, those are allowed to do about the same 17miles/hour in the NL and dont require a helmet, but a huge difference is that such a thing delivers about 2,200 watts aside from that gas in and you are fine for the next more or less 150 miles.
Now i got to hear that such biketypes do require some sort of special license in the UK right and ofcourse need to be insured OR they are plainly not allowed just that info i could never find anywhere and in fact i think Gaynor would be better of with a DECENT ebike as opposed to a gasoline bike for those have their own specific, simple, matters, its just a world of difference.

Now i saw Flecc naming the Giant type, the Twist one, only that's the peak output i see there i believe based on the peak output from the Quando being 576 watts so 400 watts are even less, but those Giants do have gearing so in one of the lowest gears plus a push in the back from the motor it would be easy to take also steep hills like the ones in Hastings.
The battery size from those Giants is about 1/3 from he Quando battery, dont know for sure about the following words, but i would suspect that this comes down to a shorter batterylife after being charged not shorter in the sense of the total lifetime.
Anyway those cost 1,100 euros that's ehh 900 pounds estimated (btw for people in the UK be warned that the pound does drop very fast in value compared to the euro for seven months ago 150 euros delivered 103 pounds now the same 150 euros deliver 134 pounds) that's doable for a piece of quality would be received then and regardless that lots have other ideas about quality i dont consider the Quando as a real quality ebike.
The gasoline bikes made in Asia, China mainly, are extremely cheap for a Yamaha like mine takes 2,100 euros new, but those cheap ones go for 800 euros only they are NOT considered as quality bikes.

Anyway to get to a conclusion here for throwing bad words to one another is useless obviously not something i am pleased about, but what i think would be best in Gaynor's case is to fix up her Quando sell it for maybe 400 pounds add 500 and get a Giant. People already offered her more then those 400 quid in her bike's current miserable state, but she is honest and makes clear its a piece of crap including dangerous that's makes her a load more honest then certain 'salesmen', crooks would be the word, in this country who sell motorized really lifethreatening pieces of crap to unknowingly people using their ignorance then when still alive without bones broken and come to complain its 'didn't know that must be your fault', damned mofo's, sorry an unneeded detail in fact.

Now what would be thought about that so fixing up her Quando so that it can be sold to be followed by buying a Giant in the UK with euros making the 1,100 euros here below 900 euros in the UK for such a Giant, i guess.
You know Jeremy fixing up her bike means in the first place a new 300 pound battery including well i really have no idea maybe a 100 pound worth fixing fee in such a case fixing it aside from a new battery selling it and get a Giant would be most beneficial, agreed?

Ow yeah one last thing about the tampering, about whom i accused nobody from, you say 'untrue in the case of a Quando', but why if i may ask not possible to get that motor to generate more watts? Like i said i know zip about electrical motors and their properties aside from how they work basically including some electricity knowledge it general, but there it really stops.
Excuse me i said 'one last thing', but this is really the very last thing and that is if there is a way to make sure a battery is at it's end for i do know a lithium ion battery can be charged and emptied 500-600 times, maybe more when at first the proper pre cautions are taken, but alright if i could get a few answers and opinions then that would be highly appreciated, thanks.

Regards, Freek.

Jeremy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 25, 2007
Salisbury
Clearly you have a badly set up bike, Gaynor. Whether that's the fault of the dealer, or down to the inevitable problems that arise when trying to ship a bike, is debatable - a bit of both I expect.

It's near-impossible to ship a bike so that it arrives without needing any adjustments. Most dealers acknowledge this and make it clear at the outset, but I have no idea if this is what happened in your case.

I'm convinced that the brake problem is quick and easy to fix by someone who understands what to do, but that's a major problem for you with no decent bike shop nearby. It makes me realise just how lucky I am to have a couple of local bike shops that not only know their stuff but are happy to teach owners the basics.

I am sure that if you could get it to a decent bike shop they would at least fix the brakes fairly simply. Once that's done then I'm sure that one or two of us on here could talk you or Freek through the things to check on the electrical side. As Flecc has kindly pointed out, it seems that you were unfortunate in buying a Quando at the time that they were having some battery problems. None of us here were aware, of course, that the different batteries were going to be less reliable, at that time.

Jeremy

edited to add:

Sorry, Freek, our posts seem to have crossed.

The power output of the motor isn't a reliable indicator of hill climbing ability. Increasing power doesn't automatically increase speed, either, as most restricted bikes are speed limited by the motor gearing.

It's a complex area, but generally speaking a bottom bracket drive motor can give extremely good hill climbing ability even with only 200 to 250 watts. Speed when going up hills will be low, but you don't actually need more than a couple of hundred watts to get up any hill with a suitably geared motor.

This is where the Quando scores, it has a well-geared motor that delivers a great deal of low speed torque, so making it good on hills.

Generally speaking, a fast electric bike will often be poorer on hills than a slow one, as the slow one may well be geared for low speed assist. My bike is just like this. It's only a nominal 180 watt motor, yet it pulls very well up hills. The down side is that the bike won't go over about 15 mph on power alone, as the motor reaches it's maximum rpm at that speed.

Last edited:

Gaynor

Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2006
Hi Ya

Hi Gaynor,

Like you see we wrote at the same time, but your spelling is not too bad such simple mistakes in fact like the word themselfs make it themselves and its fine. Grammar is just miserable in every language, however Dutch and German are disastrous in that aspect, but dont forget to speak fluent dutch when i show up alright, because i suddenly forgot how to speak english, should be quite easy and will take you no longer then a decade so i will have merci and might recollect some english ;)
I said my bike couldnt take the steep hills, that are 2 miles - 6 miles up up and up! You said.
Excuse me Gaynor? What do you mean 2 miles then 6 miles up and up and up, ah well forget it its not relevant suppose you meant 2 where you put down 6.
Shoot a call later today please somewhere around 19.00 if possible for the rest i better shut up this is not a board for private talk, however nothing much private here.
See ya soon.
Freek x x x

Gaynor

Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2006
Hi Jeremy

Once that's done then I'm sure that one or two of us on here could talk you or Freek through the things to check on the electrical side. You said.

Thank you Jeremy that's very kind and answers my question about if its possible to do smething about the electrical system whether that requires a more specialized mechanic whether it could be done by me with the right directions.

Regards, Freek.

nigel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 18, 2006
I wonder if there were any forum members close by to gaynor who might help i am sure it cant be that much of a problem if i was local i would offer to help.nigel.::D

Tiberius

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2007
Somerset
Ow Tiberius 95% negative replies arguments and what more, did you count them all? You know where you can shove you comment right.

Regards, Freek.
This thread is just truly astonishing. I keep expecting a TV crew to jump out from behind a bush.

Nick

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Freek, I fully agree about the Lafree's hill climbing ability, I should know of it since I run the Lafree support website giving expert advice on the technical side to their owners, and I owned a Lafree for years. However, I did sell it in favour of keeping the Quando instead which was faster at tackling the hills whether towing or not.

I would have loved to have recommended the Lafree as a possible alternative to Gaynor if it had been available, but it had been discontinued long before. The only alternative with the Panasonic system at that time was the hugely expensive BikeTech, a special import from Switzerland.

However, Gaynor had stressed the importance of lightness and compactness as she had to manhandle the bike for storage at times, so the folder seemed the better option anyway.

Django

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2007
Shoot a call later today please somewhere around 19.00 if possible . . .
See ya soon.
Freek x x x
Just spotted Gaynor's pic on her personal profile. Any chance you could shoot me a call later today? About 18:55 if possible? :D

robert44

Pedelecer
Mar 3, 2008
BS23
Personal help for Gaynor

I wonder if there were any forum members close by to gaynor who might help i am sure it cant be that much of a problem if i was local i would offer to help.nigel.::D
Nigel,

have you asked Django? He seems the helpful kind!!!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Setting the record straight

Some of the posts here in the Problems Thread have given the impression that neither the brakes or motor of Gaynor's Quando have ever been fit for purpose. I think all the contributors and would be contributors to this thread should read this post, which corrects many of the things said here in various posts, using Gaynor's own words extracted from a year and a half ago.

Introduction: Following receipt of her Quando, she suffered an accident riding in a park, partly due to the front brake stirrup opening up and that brake failing, partly because she did not use the rear brake which she says she finds difficult to reach. The levers are identical.

The accident damaged the bike's lighting, and following some delays, 50cycles collected the bike, repaired the brakes and lights and returned it. here's the 50cycles post following that and the subsequent posts relevant to the Quando brakes and hill climbing:

Dear Gaynor

The bike arrived with us on Wednesday Morning. Jim our mechanic took around 1 hour to correct the bike shops confusion and set the brake ups correctly. It was then dispatched on Wednesday afternoon.

Our carrier arrangement is 3 working days due to the size of the parcels.

Bike should be with you Monday. Shipped within 2 hours not 24 hours.

Hope you enjoy your bike.

Thanks

50cycles
---------------------------------------------------

I'd just like to say, Just received my bike, the repairs look very well done, i read wrong, as when you said 'the brake ups correctly', i thought you meant just the brakes were corrected, so now i see thats not the case...
Just tested the lights and throttle, and all is fine, cant wait for the rain to stop, put the panniers back on and get get there! I must use Flecs water proof tips for the switches ... the light switch would sometimes come on my accident, in my experience with my old electric bike, using the light tends to drain the battery quicker, but then it might be different with this bike.
Much happier now
------------------------------------------------

Hi Gaynor

Glad you got your bike. I was getting worried there.

Hope it does everything you need and gets you to your appointments on time.
If you need anything please do not hesitate to call us.

Thanks

50cycles

Ive noticed more push bikes on the road, pushing their bikes up the steep hills, as I go past with ease on the Quando, they shout ' OI,I want one of those!'
Think I ought to print out some flyers on where they can get one!

The hills are much easier than my old acid lead Elran bike

Hi Isobel
I live in a very hilly area now, Hastings. I bought a Quando 2 (from Ezee cycles) which is a folder, and good with hills, and better for transport, trains in my case.

So there you have it. Clearly the bike was fit for purpose at that time a year and a half ago, but from the photographs has been badly neglected and not maintained since.

Of their own admission, Gaynor's boy friend attempted a brake repair and failed, clearly doing more harm than good.

Despite these facts, the bike is claimed one and a half years later to be not fit for purpose, regardless of my overwhelming evidence regarding the bike's suitability for heavy load handling, steep hill climbing and robustness, supported by Gaynor's own original testimony that I've published above.

One thing is wrong now. As many of us know, the bike's original Li-ion battery from December 2006 will no longer be any good and needs replacing, but of course that should not be done until the brakes are repaired from their current ill maintained state.

These are the facts, fair and impartial reporting of provable history.

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
Gaynor,

I strongly recommend that you locate a bicycle shop that is willing to set up your brakes for you correctly. Granted there are many LBS out there that turn their noses up at the sight of an electric bike but there are some very good ones, you just have to accept you may need to travel further afield to find them.

This is the only course of action that should now be taken and therefore I see no purpose in keeping this thread open.

Status
Not open for further replies.