Promotional posts from businesses/advertisers

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
There have been a number of promotional posts recently from 'commercial' members informing the forum of a new product, an event or an offer etc.

With the recent site upgrade, we introduced a new 'Blog' section where I thought these posts would go. That way the 'selling' is kept separate from the general discussion.

A number of members have contacted me when they felt that it was inappropriate that a business was jumping into a thread to make an offer or starting a new thread.

So, the question is: What would you prefer? Keep things as they are or try and keep the commercial posts separate?

Don't forget - we've added 'widgets' or little menus around the site to try and draw your attention other areas for example recent forum posts on the front page, recent news on the forum etc.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
I'd prefere them to be a seperate entity from the general discussion really.
The amount of times you go into a thread then get to the third post which is someone trying to sell their product to you.

Its carmed down a bit but generally that is what happens.
Could at least have a sub department where companies can post those items into. Then people looking for that information can dig it up when they need to.

Its more needed as the forum expands as I can't imagine to many members signing up to be spammed constantly when asking a question.

C

Cyclezee

I think it will take a little time for members, trade and non trade, to get used to Blogs being the place to see and place promotional posts.

The rules need to be simple and unambiguous so as not to upset anyone.

I will go along with what ever is decided.

C

Cyclezee

I'd prefere them to be a seperate entity from the general discussion really.
The amount of times you go into a thread then get to the third post which is someone trying to sell their product to you.

Its carmed down a bit but generally that is what happens.
Could at least have a sub department where companies can post those items into. Then people looking for that information can dig it up when they need to.

Its more needed as the forum expands as I can't imagine to many members signing up to be spammed constantly when asking a question.
Fair comment Scotty, but if someone asks a question about a product in the Forum, surely it is OK for the supplier/manufacturer to relpy provided they don't go over the top?

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Who looks at Blogs ? I don`t , the mention of the word puts me off . I like the trade comments interwoven with the Forum Subjects as now .

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Oh no i'm all for it if a customer ask's for it.
My point is no relevant spam that crops up.

If its directly asked then its on topic.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Who looks at Blogs ? I don`t , the mention of the word puts me off . I like the trade comments interwoven with the Forum Subjects as now .
Exactly my position too. I just tried it with John's post, but I can't see me ever going into the blog section in future to see what amounts to advertising.

An important factor is that the throughput of posts and threads in the electric bikes forum is now sometimes so great that reading all is more then I can handle, the first time this has happened in the forum's life. Obviously I can't be in the forum all the time, and when I return to it I can find over a page of posts I haven't seen. It follows that I certainly haven't the time to visit Blogs and other items as well, so they will never be seen by me.

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
Before settling on a separate forum or blog I would like ALL commercial posters to have that green box (trade member) next to their name so we know who we are dealing with - just having a sig at the end of the post isn't clear enough. I don't even mind a commercial poster starting a post about a new product or a new supplier or contributing to a post - I am uncomfortable with "here is a great review of a product (that I am selling)" and I am thinking of the Storck RADDAR review that come up recently.

Last edited:

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
And don`t even think about Tweeting and Twittering , that`s even worse than blogging !! It sounds like a nasty disease that`s worse than being bitten on the bum .

eclectic_bike

Pedelecer
May 3, 2011
I think it will take a little time for members, trade and non trade, to get used to Blogs being the place to see and place promotional posts.

The rules need to be simple and unambiguous so as not to upset anyone.

I will go along with what ever is decided.
I agree with this.

C

Cyclezee

Before settling on a separate forum or blog I would like ALL commercial posters to have that green box (trade member) next to their name so we know who we are dealing with - just having a sig at the end of the post isn't clear enough. I don't even mind a commercial poster starting a post about a new product or a new supplier or contributing to a post - I am uncomfortable with "here is a great review of a product (that I am selling)" and I am thinking of the Storck RADDAR review that come up recently.

I agree Harry,

Russ is a very busy man at the moment with the new site, but to make one thing clear, he is stopping links in signatures for people who don't pay anything. Once I have an Avatar, it will be quite clear that I am trading. At the moment, trade members can be recognised on the Forum by a website link in their signature.

As for BLOGS, it is open to trade members to promote their products all they want and can be completey ignored by non trade members if they wish.

I'm sure Russ will correct me if i have got that wrong.

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
.......I am uncomfortable with "here is a great review of a product (that I am selling)" and I am thinking of the Storck RADDAR review that come up recently.
This is a perfect example of what I see the Blog for. An advertiser or a business/commercial member can blog about the goings on within their business, or new products, special offers etc..

It's not intrusive and you have a choice whether to read it or not.

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
Another thing to bear in mind folks, is that it is a new feature, even I am not certain how it will pan out. As with most things, you give it a try. If it doesn't work, we'll learn from it and move on!

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
I dont like it over in blog land.
I usually just go on the forum for info...havent got the time/patience or inclination to go searching all
over the forum......where I open the posts I am interested in.
I personally would prefer all trade notices here on the forum as long as its clear they are trade
then if you dont want to open a trade post.....just dont.....simple :)

Lynda

miker71

Finding my (electric) wheels
why not do both?

i don't mind the trade posts so long as it is clearly signed as such.

blogs can then be a channel for the featured products and brand awareness. i for one would stick them into my RSS feed aggregator.

markets are conversations, after all

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
why not do both?

i don't mind the trade posts so long as it is clearly signed as such.

blogs can then be a channel for the featured products and brand awareness. i for one would stick them into my RSS feed aggregator.

markets are conversations, after all
This makes more sense than excluding suppliers posting about their products (asked for or not). Post a blog entry and a forum post with either a link to the blog (so those of us who come directly to the forums will see the thread) and/or the content of the blog if it isn't too long.

No one wants blatant and cheesy marketing posts, but I think most forum members are smart enough to recognise them and point out when a supplier is over stepping the mark.

M_B

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 8, 2011
I like the suppliers comments 'within' the forums, splitting them off is just silly, they have a lot of information to offer, and as a prospective pedelec purchaser the information they provide is highly relevant to me, as long as it's on topic. I would not support them spamming the forum.

Can you link to an example suppliers post which caused the complaints?

DBCohen

Pedelecer
May 2, 2007
Manchester
I agree with the others who have pointed out that forcing commercial stuff into the blogs only will mean it may be missed.

I have a toolbar link that brings me straight into the forums - as Flecc said, with the amount to read here I don't really want to jump somewhere else too. I suppose I could add the recent blog RSS feed to my Google Reader account...

The blog area is a little confusing at present - it does not make it clear that there are a number of individual blogs that can be looked at. The recent blog entry presentation makes it hard to distinguish from an expanded forum post view - though of course, I do appreciate the underlying difference.

BUT - given that suppliers are as much a member of the community as the customers, it doesn't seem right to me to hive them off just because they mention products they sell, as long as their skin in the game is publicly obvious. Clearly, they should not be advertising directly in threads - but there is a big difference between a mention or discussion of a sold product and a promotional post. Distinguishing between the two is a moderation/editorial judgement, surely?

Fact is, education and discussion is always welcomed by me, and the chance to directly interact with suppliers in public and under the critical view of others who are knowledgeable is immensely valuable to the community, IMHO.

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
I agree Harry,

Russ is a very busy man at the moment with the new site, but to make one thing clear, he is stopping links in signatures for people who don't pay anything. Once I have an Avatar, it will be quite clear that I am trading. At the moment, trade members can be recognised on the Forum by a website link in their signature.

As for BLOGS, it is open to trade members to promote their products all they want and can be completey ignored by non trade members if they wish.

I'm sure Russ will correct me if i have got that wrong.
Hi John,

Yes, signatures containing links/detailed business information will only be available to advertisers who have signed up to one of our advertising packages. You will also be able to show your business logo as your avatar but this will include a 'Pedelecs official trade member' block (or something to that effect) at the bottom.

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
'Trade' flags: why don't all posts from business members have these flags at the top of their messages? That would make it obvious to any untrained eye that they MIGHT have an axe to grind.

But as a rule they DON'T misbehave, at all. Bob of JuicyBikes and David of Wisper spring to mind as being exemplary and useful members of the forums.

As a rule, I think the LESS rules the better; leave it to people's maturity and common sense, in the first instance, and if anyone steps out of line, then have a pop at them.

A