Puncture Advise

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
Here's another demon im trying to exorcise.
If I get a puncture its gonna be a problem on the way to work.
And im thinking of Getting the Ezee Torq, so tyre changes wont be easy or quick !
Could I use a bike version of tyre weld to get me to work and home again, to then deal with it or wont that really work ?
Also does that slime stuff work at all ?
What are my best options?
All help recieved with open arms and all that stuff !

Last edited:

rooel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2007
If you can find the size to fit your wheels I would advise Schalbe Marathon Plus "puncture proof" tyres. They are not absolutely puncture proof (flecc reports elsewhere on this forum that he did have one puncture recently, but that was after five years puncture-free). As I have started using them only recently on 20" wheels I cannot vouch for them yet, but I can say that they give a very pleasant and still easy ride despite the extra layer of puncture proofing.

Django

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2007
As I understand it the new Torq comes with the Marathon + tyres as standard. I can vouch for their excellence both in terms of feel and in terms of puncture proofing.

Cheers,

Django

JamesC

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2007
Peterborough, UK
As I understand it the new Torq comes with the Marathon + tyres as standard. I can vouch for their excellence both in terms of feel and in terms of puncture proofing.

Cheers,

Django
Completely agree - excellent feel and zero punctures in last 1200 miles after changing to Marathon + on my Torq 1.

James

Django

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2007
Sorry guys, i'm aiming for cure not prevention !
You could always ask for the Marathon+ tyres on the Torq to be swapped out for Kendas on delivery, then carry around a repair kit. :D

Cheers,

Django

Charlie

Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2007
Hi,
I originally purchsed some Ultraseal Puncture Prevention Treatment to use on my motorbike, but ended up using it in my Torq tyres. I decided that a puncture on the Torq to be more of a hassle and more likely.

I wonder why sealed for life multi-bubble type tyes aren't available? Or perhaps a tyre filled with a bubble wrap type inertube, so one puncture wouldn't deflate the whole tyre.

Charlie.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The majority of members report the Slime type of liquid to be a failure, only a couple swearing by it. When it fails it makes a mess leaving the puncture even more difficult to repair.

Prevention as far as possible is best. Marathon Plus or the Continental equivalent is the best, next best the kevlar belts inserted between tyre and tube.

Punctures are easily repaired without removing wheels, so it's only a hub motor bike's weight that makes it more difficult. Tube change is tougher though of course.

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
Here's another demon im trying to exorcise.
If I get a puncture its gonna be a problem on the way to work.
And im thinking of Getting the Ezee Torq, so tyre changes wont be easy or quick !
Could I use a bike version of tyre weld to get me to work and home again, to then deal with it or wont that really work ?
Also does that slime stuff work at all ?
What are my best options?
All help recieved with open arms and all that stuff !
It wasn't really answered one of my questions though.
Is a type of tyre-weld available and would it work ?

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
I've seen aerosols of a latex compound in bike shops for around £2-£3 that are supposed to seal the leak and inflate the tyre, it is a repair rather than a prevention though and I can't say how effective it may be.
My experience of the preventative Slime is poor, the only good thing being that the mess squirting out makes it easy to locate the puncture.
The only thing that has really worked for me are the highly puncture resistant Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres, perhaps not bullet proof, but the next best thing.

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
So has anyone asked 50cycles to fit Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres to their Ezee bike prior to delivery instead of the factory tyres?
Was it extra in £££ and were they happy to do this ?

Django

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2007
So has anyone asked 50cycles to fit Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres to their Ezee bike prior to delivery instead of the factory tyres?
Was it extra in £££ and were they happy to do this ?
I refer the honourable gentleman to my initial answer.

Django

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
OK Django !
Long day, no sleep due to daughter and friends sleep over last night.
Giggling and laughing all night til 2am. Awake and giggling again at 8am.
Have mercy !!!

Django

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2007
I understand - if its any consolation I have a sniffling and snuffling family of four (two of us below the age of five) and sleep last night was . . . . . well, you have a child, you know already. :(

Cheers,

Django

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I was up 'til 2.10, then had a phone engineer ringing the doorbell at 7.20 am. :(

BT are getting too efficient, I'd only rung the previous evening.

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
To sum up and question.......

The new Torq (which im gonna get) comes with the Marathon + tyres as standard.

What about adding a kevlar belt under the tyres for double protection.
Is this possible or is it just overkill?

Remember when you answer in not a cycling enthusiast and skilled at changing a tyre.
If I never get a puncture in my life I would be more than happy.

PS got a puncture on the way to 50cycles on thursday in my car so its fresh in my mind !!!

Beeping-Sleauty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2006
Colchester, Essex
solid ?

Sorry guys, i'm aiming for cure not prevention !
the only real cure would be solid tyres, there is a thread about these awhile back.

don't know about the slime, but i can vouch for the Holts tyre weld, whilst using the original knobbly tyres that came with the bike, i had the misfortune to cycle across cuttings from a hawthorn bush, however good fortune was just up the road in the shape of a filling station who sold the tyre weld, took five minutes to inject and got me 12 miles home, now i always carry a can.

i have just upgraded to Marathon XR tyres and although these have the dual-guard protection i have added tuffy tape as an extra precaution, only time will tell how these perform.

although i am now very familiar with the wheel removal, i dread the 20 min or so it would take to replace/repair the innertube in a rear wheel at the roadside, at about a fiver the Holts give me that extra peace of mind, especially as i've had the trial run, so to speak

Last edited:

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
Do check with 50cycles what tyres the Torq comes with now as this post suggests it has reverted to Kenda Tyres (Which are puncture resistant, but to a lesser degree).

I doubt they'd be much point in adding a Kevlar belt to Marathon Plus tyres, anything that gets through the built in armour isn't going to be stopped by that.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
And also there's less tube space in the Marathon Plus due to the protective layer, so a kevlar band would be very restrictive and might even make matters worse by restricting the flexing of the protective layer which helps to eject sharp objects.

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
just sent you an email flecc. You just answered my first question from the email, but does the new Torq have Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres fitted as standard ?