Put up with compromise or have a bespoke e-bike built for me?

Lynne

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2012
Barnsley
I have started a new thread because the other was getting too long, and my question about advise has been answered. I know I can get good advise here and I have been to the Electric Transport Shop in Cambridge...and it was most helpful.

I now realise that the bike I want doesn't exist yet...it can however probably be put together for me.

I tried this bike:
low step through.jpg

It is Dutch by Er-GO.....hard to find on the web

The low step through was exactly what I need, but it was not powerful enough, I did not like the twist grip gear shift, and we decided a push button throttle would be handy. Plus we could choose a comfy seat and good handle bars and brakes.

Or I could just go for an off the peg Kalkhoff, which I tried again and do like the feel of it. Would need to go up a notch though I think to get the thumb shift gears. And the step through, although low, it isn't ultra low! I still have not tried a BH emotion bike, I need to travel again to do that.

I'm thinking I need a bike building!

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Well, we were warned off suggesting kits early-on in the other thread, but I really think you should look for a bike that suits you & see if you can find someone to fit a bespoke kit to that.

If you settle for a compromise, particularly considering the kind of money you're thinking to spend, I reckon you'll be dissatisfied further down the line.

Just my two-penn'orth.

D

Deleted member 4366

I think if you try the BH Emotion Neo city before deciding. It has nice adjustable power from gentle to serious hill-climbing. No more puffing up steep hills.

Lynne

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2012
Barnsley
The step through in the picture is a mere 18 cm....and that is the attraction. I have just had a message that adaptions can be made....so sparticle kit, alfine gears may well be the way forward. Just glad somebody else is doing it!

Tinker

Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2010
SA39
There is a very similar low-step through bike widely available in the USA. When I was looking for a similar design a couple of years ago there were some imports being sold on e-bay in fact they were posted (with some derision) on here. Alien were not doing the Aurora in kit version then otherwise I would have been sorely tempted
A similar bike is http://www.sunbicycles.com/product_detail.php?short_code=Streamway+7&cl1=COMFORT
or http://www.commuterbikestore.com/biria-easy-boarding-easy7.html
I think it was the 'Brinia' that someone was selling an electric version of on ebay

Last edited:

Lynne

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2012
Barnsley
All comments, derisory,supportive or ambivalent, gratefully accepted! I could not have even begun this journey without the forum. Part of my decision for lowest possible step through was influenced by falling off a bike in the yard outside the shop. Hey ho...the quicker I get a bike the better,especially since summer appears to have arrived at last!

GORDONAL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2009
sunny Powys(Wales),Spain

Tinker

Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2010
SA39
Here is a version sold in Europe Low step through bike Balance | senior bicycle Van Raam
It's marketed primarily to the disabled therefore there is always an added premium as they have a 'captive' market. The € 1245 price does not include VAT or shipping mind you disabled (myself included) don't have to pay any vat on disability aids and they do an electric heinzman version for 2500 extra & a silent electric version slightly cheaper. I had a go on one in France, it's a very nice bike BUT one hell of a price

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Lynne,you must be able to find a production bike that does your job. What you are asking for is not that unusual. These step through type bikes are the norm in Holland and are considered unisex. Holland has a large number of every derivative of step through. I have just supplied a Kudos Safari bike to an older man who has little power in his legs and intends to use the throttle most of the time,but I must say that he was very fast on the bike on our small test track.
Talk to Just e-bikes they import the Koga and Sparta models from Holland,they must have a bike with a very low step through.
Dave
Kudoscycles

Lynne

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2012
Barnsley
Thanks Dave!

Have decided to go to Penrith tomorrow and try out some of their bikes...including the BH Emotions. Am conscious that I must keep a clear head and not get too giddy!

Have looked at Just e-bikes...Sparta was the bike I fell off because I wasn't aware of the throttle turning! So I know that the more controls I can have on the left hand the better, and that buttons are better than twists!

The problem with Cambridge is that it is pretty flat, and the bike I tried looked the part in Cambridge, but I'll be riding it in Barnsley! It was beautiful and so easy to get on...and off!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
One thing to bear in in mind about the Sparta, Lynne. If the back wheel has to be removed to fit a tyre or tube, the motor software has to be reset by a dealer. Appropriate equipment is necessary to do that, so make sure you can get the right support where you live if you consider purchase.

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
@flecc. OMG how bad is that? Is there enough cable slack to allow changing a tyre and tube without disconnecting the motor? If not then the designer needs to move into the real world. Whatever next? Dealer reprogramming of the brakes each and every time you use them?

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
One thing to bear in in mind about the Sparta, Lynne. If the back wheel has to be removed to fit a tyre or tube, the motor software has to be reset by a dealer. Appropriate equipment is necessary to do that, so make sure you can get the right support where you live if you consider purchase.
Bloody Hell, what a she ite piece of design that is.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm not sure if the cable is the reason, but it's been true with any wheel removal of that motor used in the Sparta and sister bike Koga. At one time 50cycles sold Sparta, then stopped handing them. Subsequently a fire in their warehouse destroyed the kit needed for the Sparta so they were unable to help a local owner who'd bought two Spartas from them.

Justebikes who handle them now claimed in answer to my previously posting this that it was not a problem, but failed to tell me how it was not when I inquired. Therefore the presumption is that it's a problem until we know otherwise with certainty.

Of course in the Sparta homeland of the Netherlands where there are Sparta dealers everywhere, it's not a big problem.

Last edited:

Lynne

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2012
Barnsley
I won't be buying a Sparta! And whatever I buy, I will bear in mind the above and make sure I ask the right questions around after sales, and that I get a low maintenance bike because as you have probably gathered ...

an engineer I am not!
:rolleyes:

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
I won't be buying a Sparta! And whatever I buy, I will bear in mind the above and make sure I ask the right questions around after sales, and that I get a low maintenance bike because as you have probably gathered ...

an engineer I am not!
:rolleyes:

Sparta produce a range of ebikes utilising either front wheel or rear wheel drive, dependent on model. I'm not sure which model you fell off but I'm bound to say after riding several flavours of that brand, I came away enthusing about the lovely ride and easy hill-climbing, contrary to what some others may have suggested.

I note you mentioned "Justebikes" who market several, good-quality, upper-end ebikes from both Holland and Germany so I wonder if you have given any consideration to the Hercules models. They do a couple of step-through frames, one of which is a really low one. They are Bosch-powered and crank-driven so hills are easily climbed. Although the batteries utilised on Bosch-system bikes are only 8Ah, user reports suggest mileage is comparable with larger batteries on other systems.

The bad news is that bikes of that ilk are now north of 2K but they are beautifully constructed using decent components and anyone worried about the system resetting mentioned elsewhere needs to speak with James Fitzgerald to understand the after-sales service and support offered by his company. A thorough read of their web pages is quite enlightening.

Indalo

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Sparta produce a range of ebikes utilising either front wheel or rear wheel drive, dependent on model. I'm not sure which model you fell off but I'm bound to say after riding several flavours of that brand, I came away enthusing about the lovely ride and easy hill-climbing, contrary to what some others may have suggested.

I note you mentioned "Justebikes" who market several, good-quality, upper-end ebikes from both Holland and Germany so I wonder if you have given any consideration to the Hercules models. They do a couple of step-through frames, one of which is a really low one. They are Bosch-powered and crank-driven so hills are easily climbed. Although the batteries utilised on Bosch-system bikes are only 8Ah, user reports suggest mileage is comparable with larger batteries on other systems.

The bad news is that bikes of that ilk are now north of 2K but they are beautifully constructed using decent components and anyone worried about the system resetting mentioned elsewhere needs to speak with James Fitzgerald to understand the after-sales service and support offered by his company. A thorough read of their web pages is quite enlightening.

Indalo
I spoke to the export guy at Eurobike show that the Winaro,Haibike and Hercules ranges,owned by the Accell Group are now to be distributed by Raleigh Bikes in the UK. That should make them more widely available in the UK.
Dave
Kudoscycles

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The Sparta motor I referred to is their own make one, in the rear wheel. Sparta bikes are indeed beautifully made and very high quality, but both the original single speed Ion model and the Ion M-gear model were rather pathetic on hills. They've answered that more recently by greatly increasing the torque and in consequence the hill climbing, hence the discrepancy between reports on how the Ion M-gear performs when climbing. However, the need for software resets remains a major stumbling block for ownership if not near a Sparta agent.

I've no idea what the newer front motor models are like, though they seem to be using a motor common to a number of good European e-bikes so reliability should be ensured.

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
anyone worried about the system resetting mentioned elsewhere needs to speak with James Fitzgerald to understand the after-sales service and support offered by his company. A thorough read of their web pages is quite enlightening.

Indalo
I don't see how that helps with a lousy design decision.

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
I spoke to the export guy at Eurobike show that the Winaro,Haibike and Hercules ranges,owned by the Accell Group are now to be distributed by Raleigh Bikes in the UK. That should make them more widely available in the UK.
Dave
Kudoscycles

That, Dave, if it comes to fruition, could be hugely significant for the future of the ebike industry in the UK. In itself, it may only be one small step but perhaps some of those major players on mainland europe are beginning to think that it might just be worth investing in some UK outlets. If there is any mileage in that notion, then getting in early and establishing their brand names at well-known retail sites is the way to go.

Scale, of course, is a major factor and I'm not sure the UK market is quite ready yet for that transition from our current ebike saturation level to anything resembling the bike ownership and usage pattern in the northern part of western europe. Perhaps some in europe are more optimistic and feel the time is now ripe to expand their market over here, hence the conversation you had.

Indalo