Q100 disc brake conversion queries

Joneser

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2013
Hi,
i may be remembered on this forum from a year ago when I did a q75 conversion. Quick update on that - its probably done about 12,000 miles and still going strong (although the motor is probably only on for 1/4 of that distance).

I now want to do a full suspension mountain bike conversion. It's a decent aluminium frame.

Has anyone used the Q100 with disc brakes please? Which Q100 type would you recommend for 26" MTB wheels? I'm thinking front hub for ease of installation and also ability to swap back to original wheel if I want to go off mountain biking without motor.

Any tips from experience would be appreciated.

Also is there anyway of achieving brake cut off using pneumatic brakes?

Many thanks,

Joneser

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

All the Q100s seem to be reliable. For a rear motor, the choice is between the Q100H and the Q100C. The Q100C is a bit wiser, but will still fit betweer the drop-outs. You can either stretch your frame a bit for easy wheel removal or leave it to spring. The Q100H can handle a bit more power because it has a slightly wider stator and rotor.

You can get both in 201 rpm, 260 rpm for the Q100H and 328 rpm for the Q100C. 328 rpm is too fast for a MTB.

All versions can be used with a disc brake. Put some sealant in the screw holes and under the disc to stop water going up the threads. You'll probably need an extra washer on the disc side to line up the disc with the caliper.

Joneser

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2013
Hi Dave,
Thank you very much.
You talk about rear motors, I was thinking front hub - did you refer to rears because that is what you would recommend for a FSMTB?
Cheers
Joneser

D

Deleted member 4366

Yes. The only sensible reason to fit a front motor is if you have/want hub gears.

Joneser

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2013
Thanks Dave,
On my q75 I use 2x6s a123's which have proved perfect for my commute. I guess the q100 will draw a bit more juice. Could you recommend a 3 to 4Ah pack?
Cheers
Joneser

Joneser

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2013
would be tempting to buy it all from BMS. I could go for a FSMTB pannier rack and fit a flat set on the rack in a bag.
There are 3 options on BMS: Li-NiCoMn or Li-Ion NiCoMn or LiFePo4
The Li-NiCoMn is much lighter (2.5kg compared to 3.5kg). Good to choose on this basis?

D

Deleted member 4366

You can't go buy what you read on Google. All these cells have secret ingredients that alter their properties. Stick to one with Branded cells and you can't go wrong. I prefer Panasonic.

Keep away from LiFePO4. It's too heavy compared with alternatives.

Joneser

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2013
For non technical types like me it is difficult. Do panasonic sell 36V 5Ah (or other) e bike batteries with charger?

hobbyking seems to be a bewildering list of cells but no packs ready to go.