Q85 motor cutting out - full throttle

jockass

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 26, 2016
Glasgow
Having been a long time lurker i eventually took the plunge to do a diy brompton conversion. Thanks to those on this forum who have been a great source of information.

I ordered a Q85 with controller, led, throttle from e-life bike 36v version. I managed to source a 48v 10ah bottle battery on eBay. Having connected it all up to my surprise it appeared to work. At low speed the motor runs fine but as soon as i twist the throttle to increase the speed the motor cuts out.

I have checked all the connections which are sound but really don't know where the problem may rest. Could it be bad cells in the 48v battery or the combination of that with the 36v controller or perhaps something else. Any advice would be gratefully received on how i can troubleshoot.

Here is the link to the kit i bought - http://www.elifebike.com/peng/iview.asp?KeyID=dtpic-2014-CB-QSEJ.7G3US

Cheers,
Jock

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Have you fitted the PAS and if so does it work ok at low and high speed.

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
It could be the controller setting which needs to be set on running 48v.
what did you get the LCD or LED one?

jockass

Jul 26, 2016
Glasgow
I bought the LED controller? Is there a way to change it to run on 48v or easier to buy a new controller. The one i have has the connections for the hall sensors so may be difficult to source a 48v version.

motomech

Feb 19, 2016
Tucson Az.
Elifebike controllers auto adjust between 2 Voltages and I'm pretty sure the kit supplied controller is a 24V/36V model.
They recently added a 6-FET 14A 36V/48V controller to their line-up, so I'm thinking there might be something, other than the LVC's, that is preventing your combo to work correctly.
When I need a controller only from ELB, I order it on Ebay for a savings on freight;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/36V-48V-250W-14A-6FET-ebike-Electric-Bicycle-Brushless-Motor-Controller-with-LED-/222181208528?var=&hash=item33bb0831d0:m:mgxcwDHTuIgK4sxrLPhfyrQ
You are using the Halls, correct?

jockass

Jul 26, 2016
Glasgow
Thanks Motomech - I am using the Halls.

That e-bay link looks to be exactly what i have. The controller has 36v stamped on the outside so i suspect that is where the problem may lie.

motomech

Feb 19, 2016
Tucson Az.
Probably.
The only other thing is, sometimes the pins in the white nylon connector blocks don't "lock in" and when they are pushed on during assy., they back out. You might ck. that.
EDIT; Looking at the controller spec.s, I was reminded the the ELB controllers do NOT auto switch, you will need to specify the 48V version when ordering.

Last edited: