Rear hub motor mountain bike conversion – freewheel question.

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
I recently fitted a Swytch kit to my Brompton, its OK for short commuting type trips, but in the area where I live (Cardiff) the roads are so bad the ride is a bit harsh to be fun for long. The extra stiffness of the front wheel cannot help.

I have an old style Mountain bike, its a 26” wheel custom Titanium Rock Lobster, with mostly Shimano Deore XT stuff, Hope mini Hydraulics and Marzocchi front shocks. The ride is a lot more comfortable on the roads than the Brompton. I thought to do an ebike conversion on it and have a Bafang 250W rear hub motor kit due to arrive in a couple of days.

I can see that the PAS is not straightforward on the Hollowtech cranks, I have ordered one of the PAS disks with the large hole, so I hope to avoid having to replace the cranks.

Now to a question;

The gears are Shimano 9 speed cassette, the Bafang rear hub motor needs a 6/7 speed freewheel, and although its no great expense to just fit a 7 speed freewheel and a new 7 speed shifter, it would be useful if I could keep with the Shimano 9 speed setup.

A 9 speed freewheel, with one cog removed, should be about the same height as a 7 speed, so it might fit, the rear drop out is 135mm.

Are there any 9 speed freewheels out there that you could slim down in this way ?

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The problem is the width of the freewheels with more than 7 speeds. To get the rim central in the frame, you have to off-set it from the centre of the spoke flanges. A small offset has no downside, but the difference in spoke tension between the two sides rises exponentially as the off-set increases, until the rim is directly over a motor spoke flange where the tension would be infinite on one side and zero on the other.

In other words, when you use an 8 speed freewheel, the off-set makes a sizeable difference in the spoke tension.

It can depend on your frame. Some frames have a built in off-set to allow for a wide freewheel.

If you have enough thread on the brake side axle, you can add spacers to compensate, but that makes the distance between the drop-outs bigger, thenyou have to stretch your frame a bit to get the motor in. It also causes alignment issues between the disc and the caliper, so you have to add spacers there to sort it out.

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
The problem is the width of the freewheels with more than 7 speeds. To get the rim central in the frame, you have to off-set it from the centre of the spoke flanges.
Thanks you for the reply.

I had found some info on the DNP freewheels, apparently the 7 speed has a stack height of 36mm. The 9 speed has a stack height of 40mm, hence my thought that a 9 speed freewheel minus one cog (if it were possible) would have very close to the same stack height as a 7 speed that the motor and wheel should be sized for.

A similar thought occured to someone in a thread on here, see message #13 below;

9-speed-freewheel