Recomemd me a brake upgrade

flik9999

Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2016
london
Hey so currently running sidepulls. Managed to find a threaded fork with v brake/canti post and my frame can support cantis.

Should I go for V brakes (would require new levers) or would cantilevers be as strong?

My bike is an old steel racer for reference. The sidepulls do ok with modern pads but I have to yank then hard.

SHAN

De-registered
Oct 13, 2017
Scotland
Brakes ? You're going to get a load of different opinions. My preference is cantilevers with decent pads. I can easily lock up the front wheel, but then I've got a strong grip. As mentioned MaguraHS11 are excellent, but don't fit them unless you get the complete kit inc the "booster"as on some frames you can get a massive amount of flex on the rear tubes. I prefer canti's,for ease of centralising, and wheel removal as well. I've got an ancient set of Dia Compe cantilevers which as well as having external screw adjustment, also have internal eccentric adjusters, which make for a perfect set up. I've had them on about 5 or 6 bikes, and they've been great.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
You only need one Magura hydraulic, on the front. Keep your current brake on the rear.

• Agree
Reactions: Benjahmin

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
Hi, i have a Shimano XT front v brake (new lever and brake, still in box) that i was going to put on Ebay. Make me a sensible offer and its yours. I upgraded my brakes to disk after buying this.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

flik9999

Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2016
london
Would the magura hs33 be strong enough for some hardcore motor use? Im thinking of upgrading to either a 350w middrive bbso1 or a 500W rearhub by cyclotricity. I think the fastest I can get out of my 36v batteries is about 25-26 mph.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Would the magura hs33 be strong enough for some hardcore motor use? Im thinking of upgrading to either a 350w middrive bbso1 or a 500W rearhub by cyclotricity. I think the fastest I can get out of my 36v batteries is about 25-26 mph.
A lot of quality european city ebikes use magura rim brakes. The big plus over VBrakes is pad replacement and adjustment. V brakes are fiddly to adjust when pads are half worn or need replacing. Watch Magura videos to see how easy it is.

Zac

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 16, 2017
Yes. The HS33 is perfectly suited. I use them on a BBShd conversion and have also used them for nearly 20 years on heavy loaded touring bikes without a single fault.

Last edited:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
But you don't need to spend that much money, the HS11 on my bike is on the original brake blocks after over 5000 km! On the first much lighter bike I could do stoppies and it stops the 23+ kg of the big big and a trailer full of shopping without blinking an eyelash.

flik9999

Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2016
london
My main issue with switching to flats is that I cant really blag "it was all me officer", if I get pulled on a road bike I can as some cyclists do go at about 25 mph, specially in london.