Recumbent electric trike

CheKmx

Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2008
Zurich
The Saga continues

Well I've been busy but I thought I'd add a quick update on the recumbent. I finally got the replacement battery back and was extremely pleased with the performance. It delivered more power than the Nimh battery and the issue with cutting out on hills seemed to be resolved. Unfortunately on my daily commute the derailuer went into the rear wheel and breaking the chain and snapping a spoke. I took it too a local bike shop to get ti repaired and it seems the screws on the derailuer hanger where broken so he could only make some minor corrections to get me home but would need a new hanger.

I contact KMX explaining my problem and they have offered to send me a replacement hanger and suggested that the reason that this issue occurred was that the chain is too long. I am now waiting for the hanger to arrive so that I can get the gears correctly adjusted and the wheel fixed.

Hopefully after this is fixed I will have an extended period of trouble free riding

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Sorry to hear of that rear mechanism problem CheKmx, very unusual, but it's good that KMX seem to be on the ball with diagnosis and support.

Fingers crossed for trouble free riding once that's fixed.

Orraman

Pedelecer
May 4, 2008
Windcheetah

CheKmx

Now that you are acclimatised to your trike, perhaps you could be seeking some tips on advanced steering?:D

YouTube - Windcheetah steering

Mistakenly I thought it was sales patter when the man at Neatwork (now long gone) said "Careful; if the surface is loose you could drift on the corners"

Dave

CheKmx

Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2008
Zurich
Here's some video of some similar behaviour on a KMX. I tried to do the same and ended up in a heap underneath my bike:D

CheKmx

Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2008
Zurich
And coincidentally I saw a couple out on trikes in Zurich yesterday one of which was a windcheetah. The fools where using pedal power only though.;)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Here's some video of some similar behaviour on a KMX. I tried to do the same and ended up in a heap underneath my bike:D
On one of the first reviews of the original KMX kids recumbent trike, one tester kid immediately rolled it on a bend due to very good grip. Apparently he jumped to his feet yelling with delight that he'd barrel rolled it! :D

CheKmx

Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2008
Zurich
Update

Well,
I seem to be getting there. Still having some troubles with the gear change but after a couple of trips to the bike shop it's acceptable still skips occasionally but not so horribly. I think a Rolhoff will be in order when I'm a bit more solvent.

CheKmx

Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2008
Zurich
update

well I thought it about time for another update. Seem to be getting over the teething problems I had with the gears although it took three attepmt by the bike shop. It is a fantastically fun thing to ride and I have to say I don,t feel at all unsafe in the low down position although I did have one close encounter with a post van. I have been having some issues with the dérailleur cables freezing but if I can't resolve them any other way I will invest in some Teflon cables. I have added slot of lights and now have 4 rear lights and 2 fronts my logic being that I have more control over what happens in front of me. This winter has been the coldest I have yet to experience but I have to say thatvthe trike handles excellently in these cold conditions. I haven't been out yet when it's actually snowing but as will at the next available oppurnity and let you know how it goes. Happy new year to you all.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Good to hear that it's progressing well CheKmx, and I agree that a bias on rear light numbers is very wise. With the weather as it's been in Europe this winter, a recumbent trike becomes a far safer way to cycle than it's normally thought to be.

A Happy New Year to you.

Footie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2007
Cornwall. PL27
Mussels posted:
.... I found my head was lifting up watching the video as most of it showed the riders feet and lots of snow ....

I found the same thing when I tried to record my cycling with my sports cam.
Cycled to cut-out and had 18 miles of tarmac :eek:
With me it was misalignment - set it all up and then forget that one tends to cycle head-down. Result; lots of tarmac.
Shame, as at one point, on the trip, someone was out with their old-time car (big british racing green, wire spoke wheel thing) think it was a Bently. It would have been nice to had framed it nicely in the shot, instead of the top right corner :eek:
I have yet to try again and remember to make allowance for head-drop.
Perhaps when the weather gets better I will try again.

CheKmx

Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2008
Zurich
Shipment of fail

Well I give up. Last time out having removed the largest chain ring to see if a more compact drive improved things the drive chain popped off and wrapped round the pedal twisting the chain. This solution doesn't seem robust enough to be a daily commuter do I'm going to sell it and get something purpose built. On the positive side mr juerg Lang has given excellent customer service and is going to take another look to see if he can fix the issue. Unfortunately for me I have lost faith that my bike will ever be trouble free. Still it served a purpose and got me cycling again.

piotrmacheta

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2009
Sorry to hear about all the troubles with the trike but I think all you need to do is keep things simple and use a hub driven system.
I have 2 recumbents, a Scorpion trike and a Spirit with 2 wheels. I made the Spirit electric by putting on a front hub and use it to work every day in the Summer - comfort and speed. I wanted to make the trike electric (just for fun) and wanted to use a Sunstar S02 kit but can't get one so am considering fitting a hub in the rear wheel. This will limit gears to just 8 but I have found that generally you only need a few. I spend almost all the time in top gear.
Normal bikes seem boring after riding a fast recumbent trike.

CheKmx

Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2008
Zurich
Think you might be right but I'm going to struggle to sell the idea of keeping the trike and buying a new bike to the boss(she who must be obeyed). She already thinks three bikes is two too many. The trike is a lot of fun when its working but I just don't feel its going to the right solution for my present commute and for me that is the most importatnt thing.

CheKmx

Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2008
Zurich
Rip kmx

Finally sold this machine. It was a lot of fun, got me back into regular cycling, got me into e biking and even in the end financed a 2nd hand ebike for my better half. But it was also a pain in the bum.

C

Cyclezee

I was out on my trike this morning, ideal conditions and a great ride, I just love it.

Met several people en route who wanted to know about it including a man riding another trike, what are the chances of that. He was riding a Hase Kettwiesel delta trike and wanted to know all about the electrics.

I also chatted with a workman that I borrowed a screwdriver from to tighten a lose mirror. He has 2 Hercules bikes with some sort of chain drive, he didn't know the make of the motor and needed a new battery, so I suggested he join the forum as someone will be able to help.

TWB.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: