Removable, or minimally visible, controller displays

SpudULike

Just Joined
Apr 24, 2020
HI all,
I am new to the forum, and e-bikes in general, so please forgive any stupid questions.

I am looking to do a conversion of my Dawes Galaxy Plus, most likely a rear wheel motor with a rack mounted battery.

I am used to parking my bike in public places, as securely as I can, on Sheffield stands and alike, and worry about an upgraded bike being twice as tempting to theft.

One of my (many) concerns is about the controller displays. In all of the kits that I have seen they all seem to be non-removable, and must surely act as a big 'steal me' beacon to any passing scrot, or a point vandalism anyway.

Are there any options for removable controllers, or minimally visible controllers, or controllerless even? It would be neat if the tasks could be passed off to a phone app!

How do the rental e-bikes handle this?

--
SpudULike

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Rrental bikes on schems like the Boris bike likely don't use an lcd type display as the riders have no need to see speed or mileage they just use them from A -B. They might use rudimentary led which is of little use to any one or a simple battery meter.

The smallest ebike LCD display is the KT LCD4 at 24mm width x 59mm high, the actual screen size is 17mm x 30mm with multi function screen info using the up/down buttons.