Replacing a Bosch motor

it is i footpump

Pedelecer
Jul 6, 2018
last year a new dealer was selling haibike, some had bosch moters,
whilst chatting to ,dealer, the technical bod from Raleigh (who supply haibikes I believe) turned up.
I asked is it just software that is the difference between active/performance/cx 50nm 63nm 75nm

the reply was the internal gearing is different on each moter.
the dealer went on a bosch technition course, bosch can input a different wheel size to make moter go over the 15 mph limit

• Informative
Reactions: grazie
bosch can input a different wheel size to make moter go over the 15 mph limit
They don't input a different wheel size, they change the software to move the speed restriction from 25kph to 45kph. They also do special software for the US and other markets.

The 350w motor is a Performance motor with the speed restriction moved from 25kph to 45kph. This is just a software change, so yes a good dealer in partnership with Bosch should be able to restrict it for you. I'm not sure anyone has every asked before. By restricting the speed it'll by default also reduce the power to 250w, making the bike UK legal

But yes, the newer Performance CX motor has different power curve etc etc to the standard Performance motor.

Also the 350w motor comes on sPedelecs, so there is other differences to the bikes, including mirrors, lights, brakes etc etc all of which are specific and required for sPedelecs. They are not, just normal pedelecs with more speed assistance.

• Informative
Reactions: grazie

bamsefar1

Just Joined
Aug 20, 2018
Would I be able to get a dealer to replace it with a 250W one? If so, would other components need to be swapped out too, would I be able to keep the 350W motor and any ideas on cost?
As I understand it; the speed-pedelecs are defined as "mopeds"; and are cathegorized as sutch. Just as cars, motorcycles, tractors etc.
So even when downgrading the motor to a 250w ; the bike itself would remain in its original defined cathegory :-(

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
all the motors have the same power just software limited to 15.5 mph.

under the speed limit the motor can pull way more wattage than 350w more like 800w as that is what gets you up the steep hills if it was limited to 250w you would have no chance.

a 250w motor with a dongle is faster than a sclass motor as thats limited to 28mph where as a dongle can be unlimited.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
I'll take a x3 dongled s-class then :p
max speed so far on a bosch motor is 40mph with a 20t at front tho maximum effort is required.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i tried a 25t but it was worse than useless.
DSC_0673_01.JPG