Returning to Pedelec Forum from Link

ITSPETEINIT

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2006
Mere, Wilts
Although this is not stictly speaking an E-bike problem Pedelec Forum is the only site where it manifest itself for me (I think).
When I click a link in a message and get transferred to the new site, to get out of the new site I have to click Close (X). I am then invited to "close 2 tabs" (the alternative is to stay in the link site). When I click Yes I find myself back in my browser - having to go thru' the process of returning via Bookmarks etc.
Am I thick or what? (that's not a question for this forum).:rolleyes:
Peter

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I don't know what browser you're using Pete, but try just clicking the "Back" arrow o the browser toolbar. I think that might just take you back into the page you left. Test link below for you to try it:

Test link

If that doesn't work because the arrows are "greyed out", just close the new window with the X in the top right corner and you should see where you left sitting below.

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
Hi Pete,

the later versions of Firefox and latest Internet Explorer 7.x have a feature called 'tabbed browsing' where instead of having multiple windows of each appearing on your task bar at the bottom of your screen, you get a new 'tab' appear at the top underneath the buttons/address bar.

Some sites will open a link in the same window, others will launch a new tab or even a new browser window.

I suspect when you are clicking the X you are closing the browser as opposed to the 'current' tab.

To confirm can you tell me which browser you are using and the version. The Help About menu item will tell you.

thanks
Russ.

ITSPETEINIT

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2006
Mere, Wilts
Browser problem

Hi and thanks for a speedy reply. Do you sit by your computers waiting for some action? Or do you have a loud bell that rings on receipt of pedelec updates??
My Browser is Moz. Firefox
When I am in the 'link' the back arrow is greyed out.
Just realised I know more about electric bikes than I do about computers;) and that ain't much
Peter

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
More Info:
My Browser version is Moz.Firefox 2.0.0.1
Thanks
Peter
Ok, what is happening is links are opening a new 'tab'. If you look to the right of the screen you'll see a little X icon. When you click this the Tab will close. The X at the very top right is to close the browser entirely !

cheers
Russ.

ITSPETEINIT

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2006
Mere, Wilts
Thanks for all your responses folks.
I have found the answer.
In the drop down menu "File" there is a button "Close Tab". That closes the link that was just opened.
I still have to be reminded that X in the top right hand corner closes the browser and then I click cancel and do what I should have done in the first place.
Pete
Oh! there was a question not long ago about suggestions for improving the Forum site.
I have two: 1 - a spellchecker !!!! (possible ?)
2 - a grammar and syntax checker (like MS Word with its green and red underlines).

Miles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2006
The Google toolbar has a SpellChecker that works with any site.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Wy wood yu wont a spillchucker?

Seriously, on your Mozilla 2, click Tools, Options, then click the Advanced button, then select the General tab and click to tick the option, "Check my spelling as I type".

No grammar checker etc though.

Miles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2006
As flecc says, plus you'll probably need to download a dictionary. Right-click in any web text-field and select "download dictionaries", or something.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Mine was already in at installation Miles, though it's American of course, so I just ignore the attempts to correct to Joshua Webster's amendments to the language.

Miles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2006
Curious.. mine wasn't. I had to download, choosing between an English dictionary or a British one :D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm sure I got mine off a browser style magazine disc, so that could account for it. I've certainly never bothered to get a dictionary and don't normally use spellcheckers. My word processors always have them switched off, and I just hadn't got round to switching off the Firefox one.

It's a generational thing, my lot in the 1940s and '50s faced dire punishments for poor spelling. Still remember those canes and rulers. Amazing how they aided memory! :)

ITSPETEINIT

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2006
Mere, Wilts
Spell checker

Thanks you guys:
I found that Mozilla spell checker was enabled - a test showed it was reluctant to correct my deliberate mistakes.
How do you spell HORNET'S NEST?
Mileshellonfleccelectromikerscott?
Pete