Review of the Kalkhoff Agattu

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've refused to do reviews in the past on grounds of impartiality, and was not asked to do one on this occasion. When I expressed strong interest in this bike, Tim emailed and said that as he was collecting the test bike from A to B and he's based not far from me now, would I like him to pop by so that I could have a look at it in passing.

As I had a strong interest in whether it would be a suitable replacement for the Lafree which I've long supported with a dedicated website, I mailed back that I'd like the chance to have a ride on it. After some delays in getting it returned from A to B, 50cycles, embarrassed by those delays which were beyond their control, had it dropped in by their van for later collection. This meant I had the time to do a full review and test after I'd found it suitable for my intentions. I know that 50cycles will be as surprised as anyone at this outcome, they haven't seen the review yet either, and have no idea that the review is intended to be part of the content of the Lafree website.

Since writing the review I've had the chance to read A to B's review of this same bike. Unsurprisingly, we are in agreement in many areas, but I have achieved slightly higher range.

I've endeavoured to make my review much more informative than is possible in a magazine, particularly with regard to all the physical circumstances of the testing and the provision af additional information that a magazine couldn't provide the space for. Review and test.

Last edited:

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
Very good report - looks like a fantastic commuter bike and would suit me to a T. Cannot wait 'till next year for the diamond (gents) version. By the way how do the meters on the handlebars and battery work - are they simply measuring voltage or are they more clever. Apologies if this is something I have missed.

Leonardo

Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2006
www.jobike.it
What a wonderful review Flecc.
I recognize many features of the Biketech Flyer – this bike seems just as good.
With your permission I’d like to translate a few excerpts of your review on the Italian forum, giving the link to your page for who wants to know more (and to learn how a review should be done!)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
very nice review, the sanoodi elevation graph is an excellent link too.
Thanks Giguana.

Very good report - looks like a fantastic commuter bike and would suit me to a T. Cannot wait 'till next year for the diamond (gents) version. By the way how do the meters on the handlebars and battery work - are they simply measuring voltage or are they more clever. Apologies if this is something I have missed.
Thanks Hal. They are measuring voltage, but they seem related to the battery's meter readout. Integral battery meters read very much more accurately than remote ones, since they are much less affected by the motor consumption. That said, the battery meter must initially be zeroed by a correct full charge and discharge, and since A to B weren't fully charging, I'm not surprised they found meter anomalies on the new battery.

What a wonderful review Flecc.
I recognize many features of the Biketech Flyer – this bike seems just as good.
With your permission I’d like to translate a few excerpts of your review on the Italian forum, giving the link to your page for who wants to know more (and to learn how a review should be done!)
Many thanks for your kind comments Leonardo. I thought long and hard about what was needed in reviewing an electric bike before receiving this bike, since I had never done a review before. Please feel free to translate any part of the review and use it in whatever manner you wish.

Chris

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
A first rate analysis Flecc.Most interesting and informative,geared just right for non techinical,as well as those high tech.guys.
The mfgs.should award you with a complimentary bike as you have just generated great sales for them:D .
As you know I ordered a Karkhoff as soon as it was advertised; having started to read the forum a few weeks ago with no knowledge ,I was able to make a reasonable educated assessment of the Kalkhoff based on yours, and , and others imput into this forum-please keep up the good work and thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience.
Chris

John L

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 23, 2007
Hi Flecc

Many thanks for a super review:).

Range would be ideal for my journey (sounds like one charge would cover the 32 mile round trip - with assistance from me).

I recall the points made by yourself and other members about the step through model but the "gents" version is setup beautifully for my liking. Assuming the same motor and other features are applied to the gents version, I'm going to hold out until it arrives in 50 cycles.

Off again to have a slower read of your review!

John

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
A first rate analysis Flecc.Most interesting and informative,geared just right for non techinical,as well as those high tech.guys.
The mfgs.should award you with a complimentary bike as you have just generated great sales for them:D .
As you know I ordered a Karkhoff as soon as it was advertised; having started to read the forum a few weeks ago with no knowledge ,I was able to make a reasonable educated assessment of the Kalkhoff based on yours, and , and others imput into this forum-please keep up the good work and thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience.
Chris
Many thanks Chris, but I wouldn't accept a complimentary bike as that would destroy the impartiality.

I'm confident you won't be disappointed, it's a great bike.

Hi Flecc

Many thanks for a super review:).

Range would be ideal for my journey (sounds like one charge would cover the 32 mile round trip - with assistance from me).

I recall the points made by yourself and other members about the step through model but the "gents" version is setup beautifully for my liking. Assuming the same motor and other features are applied to the gents version, I'm going to hold out until it arrives in 50 cycles.

Off again to have a slower read of your review!

John
Thanks very much John. The gents version appears to be the same except the one that I've seen illustrated has rigid forks. Unless your territory is very bad, you shouldn't have much trouble over a 32 miles return journey. Just letting the bike roll free with power off on downhill sections and only using High Power mode when it's really needed will make that easy. Power off on easy going flat sections will give an extra margin, taking care of the very gradual decline in capacity over time.

musicbooks

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2007
Many thanks Flecc for a comprehensive and thorough review of the Agattu. I'm sure many of us who have just purchased the bike on spec will breathe a large sigh of relief. Now feeling very frustrated as I will have to wait until Feb for the gents version.. but you know what they say about great things (that goes for the review as well as the bike!)

Thanks again,
musicbooks

ITSPETEINIT

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2006
Mere, Wilts
Agattu review extraordinaire

Hello Flecc:
What a brilliant review. It gives a new meaning to 'comprehensive'. Is there any feature that you did not touch upon and expose in lucid terms.
Ultimately, I was disappointed. The more I read, the more it seemed the bike for me and my Alpine aspirations. Then, towards the end, out of the blue came the caveats for we oldies. I would have to put in as much effort as the motor to achieve a good range - but that was softened by the observation that one uses 50+ watts just sitting down. I can manage that so perhaps there is more in the tank than I supposed.
Thank you for giving me hope.
Peter

danieldrough

Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2007
Devon
Dear Flecc

An excellent review.

As you will know from our previous conversations, I thought that the Panasonic system used in the Twist, made that bike the best available, especially for pure cycling pleasure. It would seem that the best has been bettered.

Many thanks.

Steve.

JamesC

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2007
Peterborough, UK
Dear Flecc

Thank you for such an informative and well constructed review. I like the way in which the Panasonic system appreciates and rewards the rider's efforts. This provides added incentive to rebulid on fitness.

Many thanks
James

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hello Flecc:
What a brilliant review. It gives a new meaning to 'comprehensive'. Is there any feature that you did not touch upon and expose in lucid terms.
Ultimately, I was disappointed. The more I read, the more it seemed the bike for me and my Alpine aspirations. Then, towards the end, out of the blue came the caveats for we oldies. I would have to put in as much effort as the motor to achieve a good range - but that was softened by the observation that one uses 50+ watts just sitting down. I can manage that so perhaps there is more in the tank than I supposed.
Thank you for giving me hope.
Peter
Many thanks Peter. In truth I thought of you in writing the review, as I knew the long range would be ideal for your touring desires. As you say though, the contribution ratio does make that too difficult for you at present.

Dear Flecc

An excellent review.

As you will know from our previous conversations, I thought that the Panasonic system used in the Twist, made that bike the best available, especially for pure cycling pleasure. It would seem that the best has been bettered.

Many thanks.

Steve.
Thank you Steve. As you say, this way is true cycling, but I'd begun to despair of an affordable version that was likely to make an impact, since the representation by the odd dealer etc that other much dearer versions got would never bring widespread sales and recognition and show people how much fun modern cycling can be..

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Many thanks Flecc for a comprehensive and thorough review of the Agattu. I'm sure many of us who have just purchased the bike on spec will breathe a large sigh of relief. Now feeling very frustrated as I will have to wait until Feb for the gents version.. but you know what they say about great things (that goes for the review as well as the bike!)

Thanks again,
musicbooks
Thanks musicbooks, you can be sure it's worth the wait, and one of the big benefits is that it will last a long time too since it's built so well.

Dear Flecc

Thank you for such an informative and well constructed review. I like the way in which the Panasonic system appreciates and rewards the rider's efforts. This provides added incentive to rebulid on fitness.

Many thanks
James
Thanks James. I was surprised at how much improvement in fitness I got in just a few days. Normally riding throttle controlled powerful bikes of late, it can soon be forgotten how little one is taking part. Having to share more in the effort comes as an initial shock, but the enjoyment that quickly follows makes it well worth the little effort.

skoolrun

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 1, 2007
Thank you for a very informative and detailed review which I am sure will influence many prospective purchasers when making their choice. I for one will give it serious consideration when the 'gents' version arrives, providing the price remains competative.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thank you for a very informative and detailed review which I am sure will influence many prospective purchasers when making their choice. I for one will give it serious consideration when the 'gents' version arrives, providing the price remains competative.
Thanks skoolrun. I understand that the intention is that they are to be at prices here that for once will be very competitive with other countries, and that's certainly true of the current price which puts the direct competitors completely out of the picture. Leonardo has reported that Biketech have already dropped their very high prices in response to the European price, so the trend looks promising for prospective customers. It's good to get higher quality and lower price together for once in this market.

C

Cyclezee

What can I say about Flecc's test and review that hasn't already been said?
This is a truly amazing piece of work. Some how the title Guru is inadequate.

On another tack, 50cycles will no doubt have a huge increase in orders due to Flecc and AtoB, but Flecc receives no reward or payment for his tireless, impartial, dedicated and totally professional work on this forum and his website, other than the pleasure it clearly gives him.

Would anyone really object if he were given any bike of his choice?
I for one would be disappointed if he wasn't!
Does anyone else agree with me?

John

Last edited by a moderator:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
What can I say about Flecc's test and review that hasn't already been said?
This is a truly amazing piece of work. Some how the title Guru is inadequate.

On another tack, 50cycles will no doubt have a huge increase in orders due to Flecc and AtoB, but Flecc receives no reward or payment for his tireless, impartial, dedicated and totally professional work on this forum and his website, other than the pleasure it clearly gives him.

Would anyone really object if he were given any bike of his choice?
I for one would be disappointed if he wasn't!
Does anyone else agree with me?

John
Thank you John, your comments are greatly appreciated, and as you say, I enjoy what I do, and of itself, it benefits me. It helps to keep me alert and fit in my older years, and I have the considerable pleasure of communication with the members of this forum, ample rewards.

Money and possessions are always secondary for me, and I view integrity as more important. Even though it's known at present that I've reviewed voluntarily, at a future time, anyone seeing my review and becoming aware of my receiving a bike as a gift would immediately call into question the review.

How serious these issues can become is very much in the news currently with yet another political party fund raising scandal, the foolish people involved having failed to realise that every action must be beyond question at all times where integrity is concerned. It's a bit like honesty, there are no shades of grey, one is either honest or dishonest.

Therefore I would refuse to accept such a gift.

C

Cyclezee

Flecc, I thought this be your response, you are a rare and very special person.
I just feel that someone like you deserves some sort of reward for your all that you contribute and I am sure that no one would think any less of you.

If someone out there can come up with someway of showing gratitude to Flecc without compromising his principles, then let us hear it?
Incidentally, Flecc what would your ultimate bike be? Do we already know the answer or would it be a surprise?

John

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Incidentally, Flecc what would your ultimate bike be? Do we already know the answer or would it be a surprise?

John
There's isn't really only one John, since it's territory dependent, and would also be influenced a bit by age and fitness level.

For road riding in an area which was fairly flat with a few moderate hills, it would be a rear hub motor but subject to it having top class battery and motor management and wide rear frame with a proper derailleur cassette, not a multi-freewheel. The overall speeds would mainly be near the point of best efficiency so range could be extremely long. Unfortunately, the relative ease of designing these basic bikes, the lack of electronic knowledge of bike designers and the difficulty of providing adequate investment into the research has led to a "good enough" approach of bolting together a collection of parts that work, sort of. Ideally it would have a better simulation of power linked to pedalling than at present with any existing hub motor, enabling pedelec as good as the Panasonic system. Without that and for the present, I prefer throttle control.

In a hilly area, the more steep the hills, the more I would tend to choose something like the Agattu, but again subject to having a very high efficiency management system. Although these have a lower transmission efficiency for the majority of the time at near the legal assisted speed limit, at least a properly designed drive system like the Panasonic is still available and offsets that part of the transmission loss that affects the motor drive.

Ultimately the latter fundamental design would always tend be better, simply because it's still a bicycle, not a very underpowered motorbike.