Review of the Kalkhoff Agattu

Chris

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
Thank you John, your comments are greatly appreciated, and as you say, I enjoy what I do, and of itself, it benefits me. It helps to keep me alert and fit in my older years, and I have the considerable pleasure of communication with the members of this forum, ample rewards.

Money and possessions are always secondary for me, and I view integrity as more important. Even though it's known at present that I've reviewed voluntarily, at a future time, anyone seeing my review and becoming aware of my receiving a bike as a gift would immediately call into question the review.

How serious these issues can become is very much in the news currently with yet another political party fund raising scandal, the foolish people involved having failed to realise that every action must be beyond question at all times where integrity is concerned. It's a bit like honesty, there are no shades of grey, one is either honest or dishonest.

Therefore I would refuse to accept such a gift.

Totally agree Flecc.
Chris

Grandad

Pedelecer
Mar 16, 2007
Devon
grandads.googlepages.com
Thanks Flecc

I finished reading the A to B write up this morning and found yours this evening.

Between the two reports and tests I feel that I now know the new bike and feel happy that if my Lafree Lite ever packs up I will have an even better bike to go for. A comforting thought.

As my bike has a crossbar I have never noticed the flexing you mention so I am happy to stick with it for a while yet.

Your remark "a skirt guard seen at upper right to protect clothing and keep little feet from trying to play harp music on the spokes," made me wince as it happened to me a a child on the back of my dad's motorbike. I still remember mum giving him hell.

Keep up the good work.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hi Grandad. Yes, your crossbar model didn't suffer the flexing of the step through Lafree Twist, that one giving rise to the joke that the characteristic gave the bike it's Twist name. :)

Of course I was comparing like with like in the review as you'd realised.

It's good to have expansion to about five brands in Europe, still one Giant model in the Far East as well their own two models using the Panasonic motor unit, since it will make it all the more difficult to discontinue now.

Don't suppose the Chinese hub motor bike manufacturers will be over the moon though, they probably thought they'd just about seen the last of it!

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
The Agattu seems to be an excellent bike, meeting the very high expectations that were raised by the spec.

If the version with crossbar had been available now, I would have been extremely tempted to go for it as my commuting bike. I'll have try to persuade my wife that she needs to upgrade her Powacycle!

Frank

Leonardo

Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2006
www.jobike.it
Hi Grandad, nice to see you again :)

Flecc please help me... you say:

It's good to have expansion to about five brands in Europe, still one Giant model in the Far East as well their own two models using the Panasonic motor unit...
Biketech, Helkama, Gazelle, Kalkhoff and... Raleigh as fifth one?
And the Giant model? is it the Revive?
And the other two?
:confused:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hello Leonardo, yes, it was Raleigh as the fifth since they use their own brand name on the bike.

There are two Giant bikes called Lafree in Taiwan. One is the front hub motor bike, probably the one we called the Suede, and called the Lafree 401, but the other is our Lafree Twist Lite model with the Panasonic unit called the Lafree 601, but cheapened with non matching mudguards etc. Here's a link to see it and listen to some rubbish music and an even worse video!

Lafree Lite

The other two are Panasonic's own two in Japan, a folder and a city bike.

Last edited:

Burnsey

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2007
Hi flecc

As a complete novice on electric bikes I would just like to congratulate you on your brilliant review.:) It was so informative for someone like myself who is looking to buy an electric bike and this one looks like the one.

So thanks again for all your hard work.

Frank

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Great review Flecc, beyond what I expected, and so different in key aspects to the A2B review.

I notice that the range you quote for partial use of the power assist is close to the range I was looking for a while back when thinking about doing the Manchester to Blackpool run (maybe next year then ;) ).

A couple of questions if I may...
For reference, on my Twist, I use about 60% - 80% of the battery up on each leg of my 10.5 mile commute, recharging at each end. Do you think that this bike and battery combination could do that route without a charge at each end, or with it being LIon, better to keep recharging?

Looking at the link you gave to the Lafree in Taiwan, is that link still valid do you know? (they are selling them at TW$23,800, thats only £362!! If thats right then I may have just chosen next years holiday destination :rolleyes: )

Thanks very much for the time and detail you have taken in producing the review.

John

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks John.

Given the quality of the battery, the management systems and Panasonic's experience with these on this motor system, I'd just do that return journey on the one charge. It's well within it's capacity.

On the Lafree 601, it has been cheapened in places like rims and mudguards. It all depends on duties imposed and VAT added as to whether it will be worth shipping one back. Those could add considerably.

I suspect this model might be just a way of using up parts not needed for warranty purposes, with Giant perhaps buying up the last of the old type Panasonic units cheaply, hence them only being in their home market.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hi flecc

As a complete novice on electric bikes I would just like to congratulate you on your brilliant review.:) It was so informative for someone like myself who is looking to buy an electric bike and this one looks like the one.

So thanks again for all your hard work.

Frank
Thank you Frank. I can't imagine anyone who enjoys cycling not appreciating this bike, it's probably the safest first choice anyone could make.

4beeches0

Pedelecer
Feb 24, 2007
LS23
Hi John

Whats all this Manchester to Blackpool run business ? Tell me more - if its an event for Pedelecs I definitely want to know more !!!

John

Chris

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
Kalkhoff lights

Can you please explain the actions of three position switch on the front light.
Many thanks
Chris:confused:

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Hi John

Whats all this Manchester to Blackpool run business ? Tell me more - if its an event for Pedelecs I definitely want to know more !!!

John
Hi John

Its nothing pedelec specific, its a Manchester to Blackpool charity cycle rally, every August/September I think. A number of friends of mine have done this on light framed normal bikes, but I havent one of those and so have not done it yet.

One of the things I would like in an ebike is to be able to tour, on long sunny summer weekends, without having to stop and recharge every hour or two. If this bike is as good as it sounds, then that may just be possible. And if Flecc can do an estimated 50 miles at an average speed of 12mph, then what a wonderful way to spend a day, or cycle the 56ish miles to Blackpool.

John

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Can you please explain the actions of three position switch on the front light.
Many thanks
Chris:confused:
Yes, from the review Chris:

"which supplies a Busch & Muller front halogen lamp, this having a rear switch for Off, Always On, and Automatic."

Automatic meaning it has a photocell switching it on as the natural light dims, quite early in fact. As mentioned in the spec, when stationary as at traffic lights, there's a standlight function keeping it lit while the hubdyno is stationary.

jac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 1, 2007
hi read earlier that panasonic do 2 models of bike they actualy make 16 models these sell in large numbers in japan but then prices are very different about £550 pounds for expensive one or £300 for cheaper model most of them are shopping type bikes with 2 folders and some other small wheeled models the 8ah battery will cost £180 if you want a look google panabyc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
hi read earlier that panasonic do 2 models of bike they actualy make 16 models these sell in large numbers in japan but then prices are very different about £550 pounds for expensive one or £300 for cheaper model most of them are shopping type bikes with 2 folders and some other small wheeled models the 8ah battery will cost £180 if you want a look google panabyc
Yes, and they are constantly changing in types and numbers. Most have always been a bit too odd, many with tiny batteries too small for most export markets, but they seem not interested in export. I think only a couple of models have ever found their way out of Japan, one being the very neat but expensive folder that 50cycles imported some years ago.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Manchester to Blackpool?

It looks marginal at 56 miles, you'd certainly need to do a fair amount of the level stuff unpowered John, and like me, avoid the high power mode. Possible though, if you use it unpowered on all the easier going, though there may not be the hills advantage I have for downhill running without power. It looks on Sanoodi like a rise of about 500' in the first third of the trip, then gently falling afterwards, but I've no idea of the detailed road circumstances.