Riding in the rain footwear

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
It's been lashing down and my original plan to attach plastic bags over my feet failed. Well it works but not ideal tbh.
I've been looking at options and I'm not messing about with expensive overshoes ect.
I've decided to wear wellies:D
I can drop waterproof trousers over the top.
If they rub I'll buy some half height wellies as cheap enough.
I seen some waterproof riding socks in Aldi today although sold out in my size. They look good.

How do people keep feet dry especially in winter when riding?

snafu

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2020
Hall End, North |Warks
Not cheap but waterproof socks....

I have pairs of "Sealskinz" and "Otter" brands. They really do work, but be sure to get the long ones rather than the ankle versions (Rain runs down the inside and you end up paddling not pedalling)...

TTFN
John.

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
I've got locker at work ( several tbh but don't let on). I've actually got access to showers and a drying room for wet stuff.
Watching the bike commuter videos on YouTube, I can't see what other are doing to Keep feet dry. I guess they swap out shoes and socks at work. I know some like myself are lucky to have facilities at work, and the drying room is very good. Winter is coming and it's on my mind as I only started riding in June this year. Winter will be a learning curve for me as Im determined to stick with my bike. I'm not going to give in to bad weather

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Wellies are fine for shortish trips. My commute is 20 minutes max, offroad wet and muddy in winter, and they do fine. Longer trips I use Crocs and dry socks when I arrive!

• Agree
Reactions: sjpt

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
I'm about 20 mins ride. Small section through woods so puddles and mud. Got a unexpected slide going last week which got my heart going through the muddy bit.

Crocs though. Don't your feet get cold?

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
rub dubbin into the seams of your leaky footware
plastic bag 'oversocks' will work for leaky footware but you need good quality un punctured polythene bags, any hole and water will seek your feet and old carrier bags are not upto the job.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
It's been lashing down and my original plan to attach plastic bags over my feet failed. Well it works but not ideal tbh.
I've been looking at options and I'm not messing about with expensive overshoes ect.
I've decided to wear wellies:D
I can drop waterproof trousers over the top.
If they rub I'll buy some half height wellies as cheap enough.
I seen some waterproof riding socks in Aldi today although sold out in my size. They look good.

How do people keep feet dry especially in winter when riding?
There are all sorts of expensive things you can put on your feet, but none of them are as good as a cheap pair of wellies - same on a motorbike.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
They normally have their noses out of the water, so if you look carefully, you can see where they are and steer around them so that they don't get a chance to bite. It helps if you keep your speed up a bit too. If they do bite, try poking them in the eye. It sometimes makes them let go before they drag you under.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Wellies are fine for shortish trips. My commute is 20 minutes max, offroad wet and muddy in winter, and they do fine. Longer trips I use Crocs and dry socks when I arrive!
I agree. when I used to commute and it was rainy I used wellies for an about 1/2 hour trip each way and didn't find them a problem. I was usually on-road if the weather was bad.

I've not tried Seal Skins for riding. I tried for walking and they fairly quickly got a small puncture; that allowed my feet to get wet and made sure they stayed wet.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Thick woolly socks seem to do the job in the wet. Multiple pairs when really cold. One trip back in February I wore three pairs, but it was sub-zero most of the day.

West coast of Scotland, we rarely have wet and really cold due to the Gulf Stream.

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
I'll report on how it works out. I bought a size smaller as fitted nice vs flopping about. I'll be peddling not walking. Be interesting to find out if it works for me

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
It will keep your feet dry, but it won't be comfortable.
The problem is that your feet aren't comfortable when wet. It's a case of whichever unconfortable is the worse.

One other thing. Wellies can be a little cold in the depths of winter, like when riding in the snow. I think the rubber must be a bit conductive. the solution is easy: get a pair that are one or half a size bigger and wear thick socks, then they're warm and waterproof.

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
Well I've fitted old unused foam insert and been wearing wellies for last 3 hours. Been on a bike ride with my son and all good. £15 well spent. Can't say the same for the bacon bap and coffee X2 in town for £19.90. Was not nice. 54192

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Would it be better to send the money you saved to starving Africans, who need the money for food rather than give it to global corporations, who exploit them to make profit, which they use to finance tyranny on you?

Related Articles

Advertisers