Riding in the rain footwear

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Would it be better to send the money you saved to starving Africans
Well... it depends from point of view. It would be better for starving Africans, but wouldn't be better for Wayners.
Personally I prefer to help African children living in poverty in UK only because I can direct help personally and ensure 100% goes to those in need. Don't trust charities at all.

...but I don't recall you taking a moral stand against corporations, misery caused around the world by British Empire or corporations in China. Would like to hear more if you are willing to allocate some time.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Well... it depends from point of view. It would be better for starving Africans, but wouldn't be better for Wayners.
Personally I prefer to help African children living in poverty in UK only because I can direct help personally and ensure 100% goes to those in need. Don't trust charities at all.

...but I don't recall you taking a moral stand against corporations, misery caused around the world by British Empire or corporations in China. Would like to hear more if you are willing to allocate some time.
I like most of the Chinese and African people I've met and people from many other nations. I don't like most of the corporation bosses I've met. It's as simple as that. I have also met many MPs and councillors. I didn't like any of them.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
I like most of the Chinese and African people I've met and people from many other nations. I don't like most of the corporation bosses I've met. It's as simple as that. I have also met many MPs and councillors. I didn't like any of them.
Fair enough... I think most of us share same feelings on this subject, but if we start factoring ethical aspect into buying things we might end up living off grid and foraging somewhere in Montana. Is buying shoes less ethical than ebike components from China? I am not sure...

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Fair enough... I think most of us share same feelings on this subject, but if we start factoring ethical aspect into buying things we might end up living off grid and foraging somewhere in Montana. Is buying shoes less ethical than ebike components from China? I am not sure...
The way I see it, the more frugally you use your resources (mainly money), the more you have left to help people that need it. If you buy expensive stuff, all your money goes to profit for corporations.

Some people have very hard lives. If you were a Ukrainian, you'd probably be dead by now. If not dead, you'd probably be sitting in a trench somewhere saying your prayers every hour. The normal people in Gaza and bordering parts of Israel are in serious trouble. They won't be going shopping or for a Sunday walk in the countryside. None of it has anything to do with them. It's just the agendas that our global controllers have. They don't care about the little people. They're all paid for by corporations.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
The way I see it, the more frugally you use your resources (mainly money), the more you have left to help people that need it. If you buy expensive stuff, all your money goes to profit for corporations.

Some people have very hard lives. If you were a Ukrainian, you'd probably be dead by now. If not dead, you'd probably be sitting in a trench somewhere saying your prayers every hour. The normal people in Gaza and bordering parts of Israel are in serious trouble. They won't be going shopping or for a Sunday walk in the countryside. None of it has anything to do with them. It's just the agendas that our global controllers have. They don't care about the little people. They're all paid for by corporations.
I hear what you say and agree with most of it, but I struggle to apply it to context of this thread. £50 for goretex shoes is a really good value for money (unless you are able to show us a better deal).

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I hear what you say and agree with most of it, but I struggle to apply it to context of this thread. £50 for goretex shoes is a really good value for money (unless you are able to show us a better deal).
I already did in post #9, then OP took my advice and solved his problem in post #12 for £15, though I would have bought wellies from a car boot sale for £2 plus however much it costs to get in.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Today was a wellies day, cast-off work wellies in my case, so not even £2!

IMG_20231008_114604173.jpg

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Gore-tex is ace when it's brand new, a year or so later exposed to dirt and road grease, it become quite useless. Microscopic holes get clogged, the seals become leaky.

Aldi were selling "Walking boots" a few months ago made from recycled materials. Zero ventilation, they're useless as walking boots, as they get too hot - they're actually thin-walled wellies in disguise, so I bought a pair of those cheapos for cycling. Great so far in heavy rain. When it gets colder I'll chuck Aldi waterproof covers over them (those were a good buy for about a fiver a pair, much better quality than the Amazon cheapos I bought a couple of years ago).

Last edited:

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Gore-tex is ace when it's brand new, a year or so later exposed to dirt and road grease, it become quite useless. Microscopic holes get clogged, the seals become leaky.
I have Goretex Berghaus jacket bought over 10 years ago. Need to wash it in special stuff from time to time, but is breathable and waterproof. Perfect for English weather.
Trekking boots 15 years old. Still waterproof. Seen a lot of action.
Goretex shoes maybe 10 years old. Still waterproof.

Don't have to be Gore-tex. There are similar cheaper substitutes.

PS...Nice to see you again. Started to worry a bit

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I have Goretex Berghaus jacket bought over 10 years ago. Need to wash it in special stuff from time to time, but is breathable and waterproof. Perfect for English weather.
Trekking boots 15 years old. Still waterproof. Seen a lot of action.
Goretex shoes maybe 10 years old. Still waterproof.
I've never had to throw away a Gore-tex jacket. They all still function well, even when the seals give way (which can be repaired in jackets and coats). Gore-tex footwear used for cycling doesn't remain waterproof for as long, in my experience. Greasy road grime destroys seal adhesive. Cobblers don't give a cobblers about seals in Gore-tex footwear.

Last edited:

jarob10

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2017
Uk
Another approach is to use waterproof trousers with overshoes built in. Decathlon do them. Keeps legs dry as well as feet, and pedal cleats still work if you use them

Reactions: gsm.terra

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
Wellies are working great for me.

I'm now working on my head having ridden to work in the cold rain this morning. It's also dark.
Spectacles and rain is a problem

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Wellies are working great for me.

I'm now working on my head having ridden to work in the cold rain this morning. It's also dark.
Spectacles and rain is a problem
You can buy these visors from Ebay. I glued it on with Araldite about 7 years ago and it's still fine. It's not a total solution, but it gives you an easy to wipe surface, and it keeps you warmer in winter. It's best fitted to a snowboard helmet like mine. Also, it helps if you put a bit of draught excluder between the fixed and moving part because air gets sucked in there and brings the rain with it so that you get rain on the inside of it eventually.

Reactions: Wayners

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
A recent browse of aliexpress revealed stretchy soft silicone overshoes for protecting feet and shoes from the rain, size 9s were less than a fiver but i didnt check pnp..

you should get a longer life from such things cycling as i guess there will be less sole wear than if walking?

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
A recent browse of aliexpress revealed stretchy soft silicone overshoes for protecting feet and shoes from the rain, size 9s were less than a fiver but i didnt check pnp..

you should get a longer life from such things cycling as i guess there will be less sole wear than if walking?
I had a pair of those and they're very good, but get a size bigger otherwise they're a pain to get on.

Mine were painted silver because they came from the film set of the Pink Floyd film The Wall. A motorcyclist close friend of mine was a skinhead and went to skinhead clubs. The film crew went to his club to recruit skinheads for the SS storm troop type guys in the film, and both he and his brother got chosen. They wore the silver over-boots in the film, and when it finished, he collected them all up and brought them home, then gave one pair to me. His brother went on to have a long career in acting and nearly got the part of Phil Mitchel in East Enders because he was bigger, tougher and better looking, but, not being a professional at the time, he probably wasn't so good with his lines.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
While disguised as a pedestrian two days ago, I walked down my driveway to the main road and immediately saw a cyclist almost get squashed by a big white Range Rover at the nearby T-junction - the driver had stopped to turn right, the cyclist was travelling in the opposite direction, the driver almost ran him over. The cyclist managed to swerve in time, the Range Rover screeched to a halt, and the cyclist shouted "WHAT THE FSCK ARE YOU DOING?!?!??" and "ARZEHOLE!!!" For whatever reason, he was dressed head to toe in matching camo gear, including his floppy hat. This makes me hesitate cycling while wearing green angling waders, and somewhat interested in buying video glasses, or some other type of continuously recording discreet wearable video camera.

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I think you need one of these:
or you can make your own:

• :D
Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I think you need one of these:
or you can make your own:
I saw no legal impediment to attaching a red one atop my rackmounted battery, but I've stopped installing lights now as I have enough - I've installed two more headlights and more besides, since this photo was taken. The 2400LM+1800LM+1800LM+70LUX headlights are brilliant, I can very clearly see every one of the increasingly numerous and horrible potholes when cycling at night, and drivers see me. It's a wonderful bright spread of light at the front. The lights are angled downwards. There's also a light pointed at my hi-viz blouson from the handlebar (also powered by my ebike battery, like the others), because hi-viz and reflective clothing is only hi-viz when reflecting light, and I don't want to wait to made visible by the glare of vehicle headlights.

This light flashes. It's on day and night, so are my headlights, one of which I set flashing in overcast daylight. All four bright lights flash in bright daylight:

Plus I wear a red flashing LED sash. I'm rather hoping that lot will distract drivers texting on their phones.

Last edited:

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
I'm going to try that visor helmet modification.
Found this which I found interesting. I've got magnets already.
Tired my poncho this week and that worked well in rain, as it covered the electrics on the bike as well as myself.

Related Articles

Advertisers