Riding in the rain footwear

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
You can buy these visors from Ebay. I glued it on with Araldite about 7 years ago and it's still fine. It's not a total solution, but it gives you an easy to wipe surface, and it keeps you warmer in winter. It's best fitted to a snowboard helmet like mine. Also, it helps if you put a bit of draught excluder between the fixed and moving part because air gets sucked in there and brings the rain with it so that you get rain on the inside of it eventually.
View attachment 54539
View attachment 54540
Looks useful. Do raindrops stay in place? They don't while riding motorbikes because of the higher speed, they get pushed away.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

I might be able to dremel a full face visor to fit my jawguarded helmet, or do the same with one of these:

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I've got some rain away I could apply to visor.
How well does rain away work? The so-called hydrophobic coating on my GoPro lens doesn't, even when I barrelling fast downhill - skip to the 16 second mark in this vid. (The free version of Vimeo only allows 2 new videos a month, so I've bunged it onto the end of a previous one. Video replacements appear to be unlimited. Seems the limited number of videos Vimeo allows for free accounts can get longer and longer in duration, by replacing videos, until the account runs out of total allocated disk space.)

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Proper walking shoes all the time

I have three pair they have lasted 15 years beat that
How many miles have you walked in those three pairs in total, and have the soles been replaced? It was much easier to find skilled cobblers in Wales. Cobblers around here don't have enough sole.

Last edited:

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
In my commuting to work and back days it was wellies for heavy rain. I would always have them with me rolled up in my panniers ready just in case.

In really heavy rain if it was not too cold I would in addition wear just my over trousers over my undies, and nothing under my wind proof cheap hi viz cycling jacket. I had one with an attachable hood which I attached. Also waterproof thermal gloves and a beanie style hat under the hood. Also a balaclava to cover you nose, mouth and neck tucked into the jacket.

I wore only my undies under the wind proof layers as although these windproof layers had been originally water proof, I found nothing stayed that way very long in an everyday commuting environment.

I always pedal my electric bikes hard enough to be exercise warm and this worked well as long as I wore wind proof layers and ensured my head, face and hands were covered.

I also use Ortleib panniers so that the layers I was not wearing would stay bone dry in my panniers and be ready to use the next day.

At home my wind proof layers would dry very quickly in my boiler/drying cupboard and be ready for the next days commute. Likewise the beanie, gloves and balaclava.

Other stuff worn under would just get wet, feel uncomfortable and not dry by the next day.

Of course under a certain temperature you need to wear more stuff! But a cold night usually meant a clear sky and no rain.

If you ride to work and back you need simple cheap solutions that just work.

Last edited:
Reactions: Saracen and esuark

gsm.terra

Pedelecer
Aug 3, 2020
Edinburgh
Another approach is to use waterproof trousers with overshoes built in. Decathlon do them. Keeps legs dry as well as feet, and pedal cleats still work if you use them
I’ve got a pair of those, had them 2 years now.. very good trousers!

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
@guerney

Any reason you don't use YouTube for your videos?
I watch your videos. I might make one. Thinking about it. Will be 18mins people won't get back if they watch. Ha

Last edited:
Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
@guerney

Any reason you don't use YouTube for your videos?
I watch your videos.
It's because I'm lazy and Youtube is stingy with bandwidth - they compress so much to save costs, that it's more time consuming to output video for Youtube, to prevent video looking awful. For 1080P, more quality is retained on Vimeo without a two stage rendering process. There's no way I'm shooting massive 4k videos, so that more quality is retained for 1080P playback on Youtube, or phaffing about outputting twice with different codecs for decent playback on Youtube at 1080P (when I'm not being paid to). Vimeo also compresses video excessively (it's all lossy compression), just not as much.

Last edited:

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
Don't want to go off topic but some of my YouTube clips have got 1000s of views, one has over 20.000. Cracks me up as Im terrible at presenting. I just use phone and upload and most have no editing.
Think I will do a video of me riding bike just for interesting and a bit of amusement.
Won't be in the rain though!

As for riding in the rain I think I have that worked out now. It's not so bad when you get kitted out. Still home in about 18 mins which is faster than a car what with traffic as it is, so I think about that.
My next question might be about snow? Ice must be another concern? Don't remember it being a problem as a kid though but Im bigger now.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Don't want to go off topic but some of my YouTube clips have got 1000s of views, one has over 20.000. Cracks me up as Im terrible at presenting. I just use phone and upload and most have no editing.
Think I will do a video of me riding bike just for interesting and a bit of amusement.
Won't be in the rain though!
Wow that's good. PM me a link to your channel if you like. I only upload the odd video for posting here, with the reasonable expectation nobody will view or indeed enjoy it in any way whatsoever - they don't have to click play, and if they do, they can skip about searching in vain trying to find something interesting or useful lol.

Last edited:

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
Ice - Schwalbe winter tyres / Continental spiked tyres
Snow - Schwalbe 365 tyres / Continental top contact winter

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Don't want to go off topic but some of my YouTube clips have got 1000s of views, one has over 20.000.
You've got practically zero chance of videos being viewed as much on Vimeo. Indie film makers love Vimeo for the video quality it provides, but it doesn't have nearly as much useful content. Generally, I search using Google first, then depending on the subject, I often search Youtube itself, instead of using Google to search Youtube via "Video" search, because that's been tampered with to not feature Youtube vids prominently even when they're relevant, because Google own Youtube and the EU raised a stink about Google featuring Youtube videos more prominently than other video sharing websites. If that doesn't yield useful results, I search Google's index of specific websites such as Stackexchange, Github and Reddit etc. depending on the kind of information I'm searching for. Searching Google's index of specific websites (how to do that is in the video below), is far superior to any given website's own search function, including this one. It's why Google is so rich.

When useful information is posted on Youtube, chances are it will get a lot of views. It'd be a horrible loss if Google ever erected a Youtube paywall.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wayners

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
How's everyone getting on with this weather?
Had another puncture last week from a thorn branch on cycle path as it's littered with branches and leaves.
The dark is my biggest problem with posts and hand railed barriers. At around 15mph they do appear rather quickly from the dark on the cycle path. Never noticed them before yet passed 1000s of times in car over the years at the edge of paths.
Pot holes and tarmack cracks can cause a jolt to arms that's unexpected as you can't see them this time of the year I've discovered.
Guess it's age but I just don't see so well at night.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Pot holes and tarmack cracks can cause a jolt to arms that's unexpected as you can't see them this time of the year I've discovered.
Guess it's age but I just don't see so well at night.
You need brighter lights. These appeared downhill at about 31mph, unavoidable at that speed. I was bouncing about all over the place...

This deep pothole was in stealth mode, and my front wheel ended up in that too (small wheels, no suspension)... I was going too fast, and too fast was only 15mph.

Last edited:

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
giaro-chiara-in-the-sutton-black-matte.jpg

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester

Nail this morning stuck in tyre. Think it's penatrated rim. 2 mile push to get to work. Nightmare! Bad luck I guess

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
How many miles have you walked in those three pairs in total, and have the soles been replaced? It was much easier to find skilled cobblers in Wales. Cobblers around here don't have enough sole.

I bought my Meindls 20 years ago :)

Related Articles

Advertisers