Riding in the rain footwear

budwilson

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 7, 2023
How's everyone getting on with this weather?
Had another puncture last week from a thorn branch on cycle path as it's littered with branches and leaves.
The dark is my biggest problem with posts and hand railed barriers. At around 15mph they do appear rather quickly from the dark on the cycle path. Never noticed them before yet passed 1000s of times in car over the years at the edge of paths.
Pot holes and tarmack cracks can cause a jolt to arms that's unexpected as you can't see them this time of the year I've discovered.
Guess it's age but I just don't see so well at night.
I can relate to your struggles with the weather and the cycle path. I also had a puncture recently from a sharp stone on the road. It was not fun to fix it in the cold and the rain.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
I also had a puncture recently from a sharp stone on the road.
I've never had a puncture off a stone before, normally its suddenly finding the remains of someones buckfast bottle cycling on a Glasgow street lol

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I never carry a punture kit riding locally on errands or commuting which is local.

budwilson

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 7, 2023
I've never had a puncture off a stone before, normally its suddenly finding the remains of someones buckfast bottle cycling on a Glasgow street lol
That's so true. Though never got any puncture by those remains

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
When I commuted by Glasgow canal many years ago I fitted Hutchison reinforced tyres and they were 100% effective against glass. Back in Winchester and the thorns got through them in not time, much worse than glass. The Marathon Plus have done fine against glass and thorns.

Reactions: Woosh

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
Wouldn't it have been easier to fix the puncture than push the bike?
No.
7am. Dark. Lashing with rain and nail right through tyre and both sides of inner tube. Nightmare.

Time before I'd of never spotted the thorn in tyre. Again it was dark

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
No.
7am. Dark. Lashing with rain and nail right through tyre and both sides of inner tube. Nightmare.

Time before I'd of never spotted the thorn in tyre. Again it was dark
There's always a tree, bridge or overhang you can do it under. Even if not, you're getting wet pushing the bike home. Why not get wet fixing the puncture and ride it home. It's still going to be qiuicker and less wet.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford

Related Articles

Advertisers