Riding in the Rain

D

Deleted member 4366

Yes, as long as you install the motor the right way up if it's a hub-motor - so that the wire goes down before going up.. Leaving any electric bike out in the rain is never a good idea.

You can give yourself some extra insurance by wrapping the battery and display in cling-film or similar - the same for OEM bikes.

• Useful
Reactions: LeighPing

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Are ebikes made from conversion kits waterproof?
Here's me giving my dog first aid in the rain, with my kit bike.

I also got caught out in the rain with my kit bike, when I suffered a puncture. I pushed it home, but the electrics were fine. The rain came down, 50 seconds into this video. :oops:

My other bike has had no problems in the rain either.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I ride my bike to work and back, and have just completed five days too and fro and 150 miles in total. My bike lives in a garage at home and in a dry room at work but if it rains during the journey it gets wet and I have had no problems with the electrics.

I do check the weather before each trip and if it is forecast to bucket it down I take the car as I find riding in really intense rain not much fun. However as we know the weather forecast is not always as accurate as we would like and I have found myself riding 10 miles home in torrential rain on occasion.

I also bring the battery inside when I arrive home and have fitted mudguards as best as I can to my hard tail mountain bike although judged by how muddy the bike gets they are only so effective. Probably two thirds of my route is off road with plenty of saturated mud and puddles to contend with at the moment.

When I changed the battery on my Yamaha LCD display it started to suffer some clouding which it had never done before. I took the battery cover off and left it in my boiler cupboard to dry out. When I put the battery back in I noticed a tiny particle of grit on the O ring that stops the ingress of water and after carefully removing this the display has worked just as it should since rain or shine.

The bike I am riding to work and back is a Haibike Sduro Yamaha, but I previously used an Oxygen Emate City that I bought in the beginning of June 2011, also using that on sections of not quite so severe off road, and I didn't have any issues with that either, and I still occasionally use it. A rear tyre issue just after Xmas on the Haibike meant I used the Oxygen for three return trips to work of about 75 miles in total and was reminded what a pleasant bike to ride it is.

Although I am sure a cycle cape is good, for the mobility I require off road I have found a cheap breathable cycle specific windproof jacket and over-trouser combo hard to beat.

• Informative
Reactions: Gaz and LeighPing

Renax

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2017
Norway
The wife has ridden her cheap ebike every day since summer, with the only actual waterproofing done with some electricans tape around the controller box. Its going inside at home, but at her work it stayed outside. After 6 months it gave up and the damage was the batterys power checker, and the control panel. don't know what gave up first.
The bike was "professional" built by a Norwegian shop, so I assumed that it would hold up in Norwegian weather. guess not.
Now I built her new bike with BBS02 motor, and althou the connectors all look good, i put some good grease in every open hole, doesn't take much and gives me peace of mind.

I also have a ebay 500w front hub motor kit, and no way thats made to be waterproof, I'll change all the connectors to proper waterproof ones and waterproof the rest of the system with grease. thick grease does a decent job at waterproofing electrical components...

Anything that can't be used in the rain is for indoor use only, and I don't have a house big enough for a indoor bicycle...

You don't see many capes around here, they probably work ok if the rain comes from heaven straight down, but around here its always windy, so its waterproof trousers and coat, or get wet. Me myself, I grew up here, so I've adapted to just be wet, and thats ok, I don't care.

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Yes, I forgot to mention that. Capes are the best thing to wear in the rain. They keep you and the bike dry. They can also be used to cover the bike when you park it.
It's a very old idea and I wore one as a youngster on my first 'grown-up' bike.

About three or four years ago, I purchased another one and have never ridden my bike in rain since! That said, I'm sure it would be perfectly effective in rain, as you say 'd8veh' but it dawned on me one day that I didn't need to go anywhere on my bike when it's raining. Retirement gives one a whole new perspective on many things.:D

Tom

• :D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
it dawned on me one day that I didn't need to go anywhere on my bike when it's raining. Retirement gives one a whole new perspective on many things.:D

Tom
Same here, retirement brings so many often unanticipated benefits.

The sooner robots take over all routine work functions, the better.

• Agree

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
I've been through torrential rain on the Gtech and it hasn't missed a beat, to be honest I never gave it a second thought!.

Wouldn't put a pressure washer anywhere near it though, seen too many motorcycles damaged by misuse of pressure washers (mainy bearing related..).