Shortlist

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
The new MTB that were shown at Bristol arrive tomorrow. I heard that nearly half of them are sold already. It's been a good year for ebike sales this year. Many of the good ones sold out.

The factory that makes the E-mates has increased their production of them, so there's been no supply problems this season. I heard that the guys in the warehouse at SYEBC have been very busy. You don't always get the truth from dealers. Maybe they get fed up because of historical problems. Many of them don't like to invest in stock.

Since I've travelled to China twice with Andrew to the Shanghai bike show, I've had a chance to see how the ebike industry works. I've visited some factories and seen what it's like to deal with quality and supply problems. I've been in manufacturing most of my working life, and I can say that dealing with the Chinese is not as easy as dealing with Europeans. Agreements are often not fulfilled. Andrew was on his own, trying to sort out everything himself. Now that STEBC have taken over, there's a whole team of people to sort things out.

So, in summary, I'd say that it's not jam tomorrow. It's jam today. Get it while you can.

I'm not an employee of Oxygen, but I've had a large window to observe they're business. I try not to give away any commercially sensitive information. Obviously I know a lot more than I say. I also have associations with other Brands, but I don't take payments from any of them.
Almost everything in Dave's post accords with my understanding.

I don't doubt getting supplies on time from China is not easy, and there's certainly no suggestion Andrew tried to mislead anyone.

Quite the reverse, and people in the trade like him as person.

I believe there was a cashflow problem at one point which didn't help the supply situation.

All of that was 18/20 months ago, and I was encouraged to hear Oxygen had got some financial clout on board with Seascooter.

But that was in March, and not to have websales up and running by now is poor.

The Oxygen facebook page is also moribund, no posts of substance for many months.

One might have thought it would have been laden with pics and info about the new mountain bike.

As regards the dealer, they were prepared, well they did, order a couple of bikes, but only a couple.

Their frustration was they had made a small start on building the Oxygen brand locally, only for that groundwork to be wasted.

Seems to me trying to establish an ebike company is not easy - both Dave at Kudos and Hattie at Woosh have other businesses running in the background.

I believe Dave has posted on here the car parts business has supported Kudos, although I'm sure he will correct me if I'm wrong.

Dealers are often not keen to have stock, but the importer has to have bikes to hand - if they want to sell any.

How that's achieved is of no concern or interest to a prospective customer, such as Den.

What I would say to him is that if Oxygen tell him they have the bike he wants in the warehouse, he should believe it.

And I certainly wouldn't worry about giving them credit card details, by phone or online.

D

Deleted member 4366

You raise some good points, but AFAIK Oxygen don't sell direct. They only sell through dealers like Haibike. You don't order a Haibike from the Haibike website.

It's got a bit more complicated now because SYEBC are the owners and they're also a dealer, so you can buy direct from SYEBC website. Maybe there needs to be a link on the Oxygen site.

denwyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2013
Non of this fills me with any confidence at all. Poor website, earlier cash flo probs, etc, I will stay clear. Re credit card detail over the phone, I never do it, had lot of trouble many years back, paid motorcycle insurance on phone, only to see a month later charges to my card for £400 for hi f equipment, I got it back, and persons involed were prosecuted. I know things are more watertight now, but I still never do it.

D

Deleted member 4366

Non of this fills me with any confidence at all. Poor website, earlier cash flo probs, etc, I will stay clear. Re credit card detail over the phone, I never do it, had lot of trouble many years back, paid motorcycle insurance on phone, only to see a month later charges to my card for £400 for hi f equipment, I got it back, and persons involed were prosecuted. I know things are more watertight now, but I still never do it.
You're nuts. Oxygen is one of the longest established brands. Nobody has ever had a problem like that with them. There is definitely no cash flow problem and never has been. It's the opposite. There's now a substantial investment in the brand. It's now owned by South Yorkshire Electric Bike Centre. You can check their accounts to see that they made a substantial profit last year - a lot more than some other well Known brands that you may be considering, who made a loss. Find somebody that has access to credit checks and ask them to check out the accounts and credit-worthiness of well known electric bike companies. i'd be surprised if STEBC didn't come top.

I'm giving up trying to help you because I think that you're unhelpable. You've been looking for a bike for months, discounting every suitable one for the daftest of reasons. There was nothing wrong with your first bike that couldn't be fixed by a few simple changes. I hope that all your efforts will eventually pay off. Personally, I have never found an electric bike that I couldn't or wouldn't want to ride. That includes every size and shape of bike, type of motor, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Artstu

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
You're nuts. Oxygen is one of the longest established brands. Nobody has ever had a problem like that with them. There is definitely no cash flow problem and never has been. It's the opposite. There's now a substantial investment in the brand. It's now owned by South Yorkshire Electric Bike Centre. You can check their accounts to see that they made a substantial profit last year - a lot more than some other well Known brands that you may be considering, who made a loss. Find somebody that has access to credit checks and ask them to check out the accounts and credit-worthiness of well known electric bike companies. i'd be surprised if STEBC didn't come top.
SYEBC has not filed accounts,
John F Camm
holds 3 appointments at 3 active companies, has resigned from 1 companies and held 5 appointments at 5 dissolved companies. John began their first appointment at the age of 49. Their longest current appointment spans 3 years and 1 months at SEA SCOOTER UK LIMITED.

The combined cash at bank value for all businesses where John holds a current appointment equals £93,611
if you look for e-bike business owners with deep pockets, kudosdave and Hatti are near the top.

D

Deleted member 4366

It's too early for last tax year. The deadline is 31st December. I haven't done mine yet. Have you done yours?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I am just quoting public information that anyone can google up. kudosdave has probably deepest pockets out of e-bike business owners, if that information matters to you.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
if you look for e-bike business owners with deep pockets, kudosdave and Hatti are near the top.
Aye, bobbing around the Med on his yacht.

Dunno about Hattie, though.

I mean, she's from Essex and drives a Ford.

Sounds a bit, er, 'trade' if you ask me.

Reactions: Woosh and trex

denwyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2013

I'm giving up trying to help you because I think that you're unhelpable. You've been looking for a bike for months, discounting every suitable one for the daftest of reasons. There was nothing wrong with your first bike that couldn't be fixed by a few simple changes. I hope that all your efforts will eventually pay off. Personally, I have never found an electric bike that I couldn't or wouldn't want to ride. That includes every size and shape of bike, type of motor, etc.
Hey...no need to have a go at me, I never said I didnt trust Oxygen withmy credir card, I just dont want to give details to ANYONE over the phone, if there such long established brand why cant you pay securely online. Re my mistake bike, I wont get into any discussions with that, it was my mistake, its done with now.
I value the advice I get on here, yes I admit I'm not the best at making decesions, her indoors would agree with your comment on that, but having wasted money before, i need to get it right this time. Ive tried several bikes, some I liked very much, but they were around the £2000 price and I dont want to spend that much. My absolute max is £1500. All advice i get on here is taken in, i dont want to get bogged down in financial issues of Oxygen, YEBC, or STEBC.
I will find a suitable bike withor without your help, it may take me a while, but im dam sure I wont want to chuck my money away gain, be that my mistake before, for not looking on here before rushing in to buy. Thats why i'm asking all the questions :)

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Aye, bobbing around the Med on his yacht.

Dunno about Hattie, though.

I mean, she's from Essex and drives a Ford.

Sounds a bit, er, 'trade' if you ask me.
Hatti drives a Ford because she's totally not showy. She's very hard working, still owns and runs a 32 year old computer company at the same time she runs Woosh, and owns the shop premises where Woosh operate. As far as I know, she's never taken out a loan or a mortgage.

Reactions: Woosh
C

Cyclezee

Hi Denwyn,

Several people on here are trying to help you with your dilemma about a bike that would suit you, much of it impartial advice from experienced people who know what they are talking about.

I have said this before, but a trip to the Redbridge event in August would be a worthwhile investment of your time and money, lots of bikes to ride and possibly deals that would offset some of your costs.

denwyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2013
Hi Denwyn,

Several people on here are trying to help you with your dilemma about a bike that would suit you, much of it impartial advice from experienced people who know what they are talking about.

I have said this before, but a trip to the Redbridge event in August would be a worthwhile investment of your time and money, lots of bikes to ride and possibly deals that would offset some of your costs.
Yes I do appreciate the advice given. Will try to be a bit more understanding and possibly lower my criteria. Although I think I may back off asking questions on here for the time being.
Any more info on this Redbridge event you mention. After this week I'm off work for approx 5 weeks, best bit of being a school caretaker. Bit of a drive there from Taunton but if the dates don't clash with our weeks away I might be tempted to go. Thanks

C

Cyclezee

Yes I do appreciate the advice given. Will try to be a bit more understanding and possibly lower my criteria. Although I think I may back off asking questions on here for the time being.
Any more info on this Redbridge event you mention. After this week I'm off work for approx 5 weeks, best bit of being a school caretaker. Bit of a drive there from Taunton but if the dates don't clash with our weeks away I might be tempted to go. Thanks
Hi Denwyn,

Here is the information so far http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/jul-11-2014-redbridge-ebike-day-sunday-24th-august-ilford.18297/

denwyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2013
Were back from a week in the Shrewsbury area on the day before. So I have pencelled it in for a visit should I not buy a bike before. Thanks

D

Deleted member 4366

I have to go back on my word. I live only a few miles from Shrewsbury. I have a Kudos Tornado if you want to try it. If so, let me know when and where, and I'll bring it over.

C

Cyclezee

I have to go back on my word. I live only a few miles from Shrewsbury. I have a Kudos Tornado if you want to try it. If so, let me know when and where, and I'll bring it over.
Denwyn doesn't want an MTB.
Should we now call you Kudos D8veh:confused:

Reactions: Woosh and Croxden

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
That is a nice looking bike, at 66 now i am definitely not looking at any mountain style bikes
Why be restricted by the look of a bike?
When you're riding you can't see it anyway :)

I'm 65 & ride a Trek Mamba (with an Ezee kit) because it's the best for my purposes - Don't give a rat's arse what I look like - Even wear lycra padded shorts so My crotch doesn't wear out riding about 100 miles per week all over mid-Cornwall :oops:

Get yerself on a bike you feel comfy on & put some miles in before the weather turns anti-social.

Reactions: bmc and RobF

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
& put some miles in before the weather turns anti-social.
None of the people who post what bike threads at this time of the year grasp this point.

But it's crucial.

A lot of buyers seem to want to wait for new models which means they will buy a bike in September/October or even later and then be barely able to use it for months.

Reactions: jackhandy