Shwalbe Tyre problem

10JP

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2015
Here's an idea: Use the Continentals for the next 1200 miles, then come back and let us know how they've performed. With that info, we will have all learnt something.
Lol... already done that previously with Top Contact 11 before buying the Shwalbes so thats what I'm going back to

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
The point you are missing and that I'm trying to make is this has never happened to any of the other makes of tyres I have used the last few years and I am doing nothing different now than then.
The point I'm making is that accidents do happen and Schwalbe is obviously a very good make of tyre.

If you were showing us a brand new tyre then you might have a point. But you weren't, so you don't. It's a minor bit of frayed wear on a tyre that has 1200 miles on the clock. A well used one, that you've conceded, may have been accidentally damaged by yourself at some point. You've had no punctures in that time. The tyre's still fit for purpose. :)

The manufactures don't seemed concerned by it. So, on a personal note, I'd be content with their response. Obviously you're not John. Why don't you do as they suggest and take it back to the retailer?

I would tend towards this been what we refer to as being “threading” whereby excessive chafer material comes loose from the tyre as if threads are coming away. Whilst unsightly this is not an issue for a seated tyre as this material will be excess and can be cut away.

However I always advise contacting the supplier of the tyre so as they can inspect in person to ensure that your tyre is safe to use and not exhibiting a defect which will render it unusable. Naturally any Schwalbe tyre exhibiting a manufacturing defect will resolved via the supplier retailer so as you are up and running again as quickly as possible.

10JP

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2015
The point I'm making is that accidents do happen and Schwalbe is obviously a very good make of tyre.

If you were showing us a brand new tyre then you might have a point. But you weren't, so you don't. It's a minor bit of frayed wear on a tyre that has 1200 miles on the clock. A well used one, that you've conceded, may have been accidentally damaged by yourself at some point. You've had no punctures in that time. The tyre's still fit for purpose. :)

The manufactures don't seemed concerned by it. So, on a personal note, I'd be content with their response. Obviously you're not John. Why don't you do as they suggest and take it back to the retailer?
This post which I put on just to show what had happened to my Shwalbe tyres, however or why-ever it happened which I thought might be helpful is going nowhere except round in circles, Shwalbe it seems have a cult like following by some and I have obviously upset that cult.
Therefore in this instance I believe it would be best to agree to disagree on this subject. Many thanks for your replies nonetheless.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Shwalbe it seems have a cult like following by some and I have obviously upset that cult.
Utter nonsense.

You asked a reliability question and received the appropriate answers. Those apparently weren't what you wanted to read, so you chose to criticise the brand and where they were made.

Had you asked about the grip of Schwalbe's Marathon Plus or their comfort, you'd have received some negative answers to both those questions. That would show there's no cult, just members posting from long experience.

Last edited:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Utter nonsense.

You asked a reliability question and received the appropriate answers. Those apparently wern't what you wanted to read, so you chose to criticise the brand and where they were made.

Had you asked about the grip of Schwalbe's Marathon Plus or their comfort, you'd have received some negative answers to both those questions. That would show there's no cult, just members posting from long experience.
In my answers:

I use their tyres when I can't find competing products to suit my needs.
I wouldn't be seen dead on a bike with Marathon Plus, or maybe, seeing the way I ride I would...
I would use Michelin tyres again if I had the right kind of bike/need despite having a sidewall failure on a motor wheel after 12 months and 3600km. Probably due to user error - under inflation.
I don't trust Continental as a brand/company because I have some misgivings about the fitness for use of some of thier products (car tyres) and their business practices since 2009.

IIRC Schwalbe used "made near the rubber plantations" in some of their marketing. That a German company (and brand) makes their tyres near the rubber plantations using labour from the area is OK by me. Creating jobs in Indonesia sounds a lot better than buying the raw material from there at the lowest possible price then shipping it around the world. Before shipping finished product back around the world to end user...

And basic questions about where and why this happened to the OP remain unanswered. I do apologise for not seeing any serious damage on the photos where the tyres were mounted on the rims, maybe that says something about the degree of damage? Or my eyes...

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Shwalbe it seems have a cult like following by some and I have obviously upset that cult.
Hey! Who are you calling a cult! :D

Why.. If I were ten years younger! :p

It's been a good in-depth emotional discussion, if not a little tiring at times. Too often we get rubbered up the wrong way and our strengths are sapped. We should all learn to tread a bit more carefully in the future and hopefully this will relieve some of the pressure. Have a good year all. :)

10JP

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2015
Well I'm not upset in the slightest, just amused.
I can't see how this thread turned sour so quickly but it kept me entertained for a while ;)[/QUO
Believe me it amazed me as well, I guess it takes all sorts!

10JP

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2015
Believe me it amazed me as well, but I guess it takes all sorts, but I do have my theories as to why!

D

Deleted member 4366

Five pages is not bad. maybe we can make it into the thread that can take over from the Brexit one. That's 1300 pages of futile arguments, ranting, propaganda and salt, and it's still going. I think I'll just have a look for a laugh.

What's really funny is that Oldgroaner, who's just a political activist, now has 4th most posts in the forum and all his posts are all in that thread. He doesn't know one end of an ebike from another, but people send him private messages to answer their ebike questions because they see him listed as a prominent member. It would appear that as far as our forum is concerned, he's nothing but a troll, stirring everybody up. It's caused more salt than anything else on the forum, and forum members are still feeding him!

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

10JP

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2015
Five pages is not bad. maybe we can make it into the thread that can take over from the Brexit one. That's 1300 pages of futile arguments, ranting, propaganda and salt, and it's still going. I think I'll just have a look for a laugh - maybe stir it up a bit if it's slowing down.
I dare not look at the Brexit one! wouldn't that be brilliant that a Shwalbe tyre could outstrip Brexit!!!!

• Informative

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Five pages is not bad. maybe we can make it into the thread that can take over from the Brexit one. That's 1300 pages of futile arguments, ranting, propaganda and salt, and it's still going. I think I'll just have a look for a laugh.
It hasn't been a Brexit thread for ages, long since turning into a domestic politics one with occasional forays into politics elsewhere.

Now it's even combined religion with politics, which could make Brexit a very tame subject!

• Agree

10JP

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2015
It hasn't been a Brexit thread for ages, long since turning into a domestic politics one with occasional forays into politics elsewhere.

Now it's even combined religion with politics, which could make Brexit a very tame subject!
I had a quick look at the brexit thread but I really think people need to lighten up... lifes to short!!

• Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I had a quick look at the brexit thread but I really think people need to lighten up... lifes to short!!
Far too short to read the whole Brexit thread! :). The bible may yet lose its status in that respect.

I think for some it's just an often interesting discussion of particular points, though for a few it's a political propaganda outlet for a rare chance to let off steam.

• Agree
Reactions: 10JP

Advertisers