Solar trailer build

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Motorised theodolite-like mechanism for automated sun tracking? It'd have to be a very stiff lightweight deck. An internally motorised cup and ball joint would be really tough to make.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Motorised theodolite-like mechanism for automated sun tracking? It'd have to be a very stiff lightweight deck. An internally motorised cup and ball joint would be really tough to make.

Stability considerations limit me to one axis tracking, with the ends of the panel array firmly secured. I'll be staying with a two wheel trailer, but otherwise not dissimilar to this:

That thread is the world leading solar ebike resource, albeit not limited to 250W motors.

Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
This certainly looks like suitably a stiff board. But hard work!

All those pages and not one parabolic solar oven driving a steam generator... ;)

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
The game's afoot!

450 miles to go, mixed weather outlook, we'll see how it goes!

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Day one. 75 miles, most of the day battery full in milky sunshine. About 7Wh/km consumed, and 140Wh out of the Shimano battery.

There is initial high contribution from that battery when both are fully charged, because it is a better battery, and sags less under load than the solar charged generic battery. The first 14 miles was very hilly, and 130 of 140 Wh approx from the Shimano battery was used therein. Only another 10 approx today because it's voltage had dropped and the generic battery always stayed at a higher level because the solar input matched or exceeded consumption almost all the time.

Tomorrow is another day, with wall to wall sunshine promised. Could be a 100 miler.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Day 2. Lost my reading glasses, so may be gobbledegook here and there!

105 miles, A round 1,000Wh consumed, only 79 from the Shimano battery, 690 generated. 9.5Wh/km overall. Not enough battery capacity in the morning sunshine, dug heavily into it in cloudy afternoon, then rescued by evening sun.

On track now for a five day trip if weather is as forecast.

Tonight,Lockerbie. Tomorrow, somewhere near Preston.

Spring is here.

IMG_20220408_084426189.jpg

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Good stuff Matt, any comments at all whilst on route ?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
105 miles?!??? That's great going! And kindof(?) comfy at 10wh per mile. All nerves removed from one's buttocks, seems a wise move for such long journeys...

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
105 miles?!??? That's great going! And kindof(?) comfy at 10wh per mile. All nerves removed from one's buttocks, seems a wise move for such long journeys...
I would say so esp towing, a great stint in the saddle..

• Agree

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I would say so esp towing, a great stint in the saddle..
Bulletproof buttocks by the time he gets to Wales, let's hope it doesn't become one massive corn. I can manage about 30 miles pain-free in the saddle - 105 miles is completely outside of my comfort zone! :eek: A good tip might be to take dips in cold rivers etc. en route, to reduce inflammation - in my experience, that certainly helps reduce foot damage on extremely long walks (if there aren't leeches).

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
How's the wrist?
Must be bothering him, he's out looking for sympathy again ;)

I notice a complete lack of concern over the fate of Mr Badger. I'll never be able to read Wind in the Willows again without wondering what became of the poor creature :(

I893469365902345609348566

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
Must be bothering him, he's out looking for sympathy again ;)

I notice a complete lack of concern over the fate of Mr Badger. I'll never be able to read Wind in the Willows again without wondering what became of the poor creature :(
Hey I'll take any sympathy offered ;) Turns out, chicks dig scars... but it hasn't got me laid yet! :( But I also post the video periodically to genuinely warn people about badgers jumping out from bushes directly in front of one's bike wheel, which could conceivably happen I suppose on a long journey along paths like Solar Man's.

I did think about finding that badger (to help, not to mete out revenge) because I had hit it with a heck of a lot of weight and the bike had stopped dead with such force that the bike tipped over and smahed a headlight on the handlebar :eek:. I was in no shape to look for it in the woods teeming with other badger red herrings and it would have been hiding anyway, because injured animals wisely do.

It probably curled up and died in slow agony in it's lair, from a broken bone which got infected. On the other wrist maybe it's inuries and PTSD from it's experience healed and it's writing Wind Win The Willows 8. We shall never know until it's publication.

Last edited:

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
No night riding on this trip!

How's the wrist?
Damn thing won't bend enough to reach all electric guitar strings - but I can now get to four of them instead of two, so that's progress!

Bloody painful playing the guitar though, and that hand is a redder and a darker colour than the other one, which worries me about gangarene and having to have it chopped off, however illogical that may be. I might get a lefty guitar if this lack of flexibility continues.

Seeing the physio next week, so must keep enduring agonising pain movement exercises to gain some angles! Don't fall off the bike!!! :eek: More importantly, don't break any bones!!

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Poor Bertie, he wasn't out to ambush you.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
Poor Bertie, he wasn't out to ambush you.
I know, he just got startled while waiting on the side of the road for a clear way across like a lot of wild animals do. I couldn't see him when I eventually got up in agony with a crunchy feeling wrist. I don't know how far he managed to wander away. We encroach on their paths.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Day 3 bteakfastime, another good frost, clear sky so. when the sun gets up, should be a goode energy generating day!

Carrying more weight because of the nighttime temps. It has to be winter backpacking gear, and plenty of layers of wool. I think rolling weight is about 135kg.

Here comes the sun

IMG_20220409_065120623.jpg

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Wool keeps you warm even when wet, good choice!