Solution for chain suck, Bosch performance line

Aloppes

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 10, 2015
Allopes, rear mech aside, it's taken a while for me to find a photo of my simple solution to the problem.

☺ brilliant. I will definitely install something similar. did you attach with screws or glue?

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
That was the Mk1 version, before I had the tools to remove the crank arms etc, so it was glued on. It worked very well, but didn't last. I haven't found that I've needed once since engaging the clutch on the rear mech, but if I was to make another, I think that I would probably rivet in on.

I should have also said, that I made it just using an cycle light bracket.

edit. If you do decide to make one, make sure that it is wide enough that you can go through the complete gear selection without hitting hit. I didn't have an issue, but I could see how it might happen.

Chris Thompson

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 5, 2016
Leeds
Allopes, rear mech aside, it's taken a while for me to find a photo of my simple solution to the problem.

Hello, I am having nothing but problems with this issue and has already cost me a rear mech! Can I ask you what this is exactly and I can see about getting something similar? How do you find it? Is it helping? it looks so simple but effective.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i have the haibike one with the bash guard in one but there just a rip off.

if the derail-er has a clutch then just turn it on or might be as cheap just to get one with a clutch.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Deere John

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2015
EU
I have this problem frequently but in dry conditions also :) yesterday my bike got quite messy so I rinsed it off. This morning when I should bike to work (45 min). The chain sucked about 100 times (no kidding!). Because it was too dry, but it was not so long ago I lubed it. Anyway, I should have done it yesterday after rinsing of course, but forgot it.

I don't use to lube my chain so often on other bikes. But here it's not forgiving at all :) I'll just have to make it a routine to do it more often.

But it use to happen also when it's very muddy. A good solution for that would be the rear derailleour with clutch as read above. I have it on my regular MTB, very good thing. On the buy list:
https://www.e-bikeshop.co.uk/blog/post/a-little-about-the-shimano-clutch-mechanism-on-the-new-rear-mechs/

Deere John

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2015
EU
Ohh. This must be some Darwin award. I actually have clutch on my new bike. Haven't noticed it until now when I read this thread and should lube the chain. Well well. I'll try that method and see if it helps. Bbl

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Deere John

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2015
EU
Since I broke my rear derailleur I now changed to an old one I had, an XT without clutch. This chain suck problem was REALLY bad with this :(
so... I had to do something, googled a little and found various solution including this thread... and... I now made an Eddie-bracket here:

Works great, but the chain rattles quite good against it, sounds bad but works good. This is the second attempt to glue it, this time with some acrylic tape that use to stick really well on everything. Hope it will last.

P1010311.jpg

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
use the motor bolt that way you can have it adjusted to what you want.:)

• Informative
Reactions: Deere John

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if that comes of and goes in to the sprocket it could destroy that and rip the motor axle out of the bearings worst case either way the sprocket will be bent to crap and there more than a rear mech with a clutch ;)

• Useful
Reactions: Deere John

Deere John

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2015
EU
if that comes of and goes in to the sprocket it could destroy that and rip the motor axle out of the bearings worst case either way the sprocket will be bent to crap and there more than a rear mech with a clutch ;)
yes, good point. But I don't think it will come off now with this tape. It's really good this. But in case it happens I know who said it first :)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
get a new rear mech with a clutch as it is not worth bodging it ,its a hack not a fix ;)

• Agree
Reactions: Steve A

Deere John

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2015
EU
get a new rear mech with a clutch as it is not worth bodging it ,its a hack not a fix ;)
I have it on order and should have got it last week. Will order a new Tomorrow if postal service has not magically found the package

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Reactions: soundwave