Stop hating ebikes

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Most people who want to use high speed e-bikes are commuters under 50s.

40s: 30mph is plenty
50s: 22mph is plenty
60s: 20mph is plenty
70s+: legal speed is plenty

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
You're focusing on the price being the main barrier to growth or eBikes... its not.

Price isn't really an issue, as there are bikes available at all price points.
Ahem... You are not a member of the working poor! (It was not my career goal but accidents do happen.)

Regarding the price, I'm afraid KTM and I suspect Haibike will never make cheap bikes... there are certain price points that with the components we use you simply can't get below without compromise that many brands don't want to make. The premium brands do offer very competitive pricing and I would argue they are exceptional value, but yes at £1500.00+ to many, they can not be described as cheap.
I have priced a home build from quality components (frame, fork, Rohloff, BBS01, the lot...) and was surprised that I could build a reasonable quality bike for a lot less than a complete bike. Yes I know the Rohloff costs more than the rest combined...

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
If you're going to want to use a bike illegally, to go fast illegally... they're just going to use a motorbike - why would they bother with a pedelec?
I stand to be corrected but I don't think 14 year-olds can ride motorbikes. They are legally permitted to ride EAPCs, I think? That being the case, that's why they might bother with a pedelec.

The problem then is that 11 and 12 year-olds, mates of the 14 year-olds, will also want to play with these powered machines and I hardly think they will pay much attention to any rules or regulations in regard to where these machines can and cannot be ridden.

Moreover, motorcycles typically are just a little more difficult to nick than bikes and no-one gives a second glance to kids on bikes but youngsters on motorcycles very often do attract attention. If kids start reading that other well-known and more international site which provides articles and advice about creating 'the fast and the furious' of the EAPC world, then god help us all!

Tom

Reactions: Kudoscycles
I stand to be corrected but I don't think 14 year-olds can ride motorbikes. They are legally permitted to ride EAPCs, I think? That being the case, that's why they might bother with a pedelec.

The problem then is that 11 and 12 year-olds, mates of the 14 year-olds, will also want to play with these powered machines and I hardly think they will pay much attention to any rules or regulations in regard to where these machines can and cannot be ridden.

Moreover, motorcycles typically are just a little more difficult to nick than bikes and no-one gives a second glance to kids on bikes but youngsters on motorcycles very often do attract attention. If kids start reading that other well-known and more international site which provides articles and advice about creating 'the fast and the furious' of the EAPC world, then god help us all!

Tom
This is all correct... but you're drawing lines in the sand regarding legality, and expecting someone to abide by some and not others.

I'm not sure how many of these types of youths you know, but having spent a lot of time with the KTM brand now and also having previously worked as a teacher in some of the roughest schools in Oldham, I can assure you - there is little chance of any of them wanting to be seen riding an illegally fast pedelecs. They just aren't cool and are too expensive compared to an equivalent and equally fast and illegal motorbike. They just bomb about on illegal mini motorbikes, that cost pretty much nothing to buy and they never get caught using.

This is the sort of thing they are using.

http://www.gumtree.com/p/ducati-motorbikes/mini-moto-pocket-bike-50cc/1126853832

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
I can assure you - there is little chance of any of them wanting to be seen riding an illegally fast pedelecs. They just aren't cool and are too expensive compared to an equivalent and equally fast and illegal motorbike.
Ah! Well if you're assuring me, that's ok then. Youngsters just won't ever see the opportunities in EAPCs so won't ever nick one to strip and utilise the components in another bike frame.

I don't know what 'cool' is but 'expensive' is irrelevant unless actually paying for something. Nonetheless, my fears are probably groundless as, thankfully, only motorcycles and monkey bikes will ever get nicked. There was me thinking that 30mph....or more with the right mods, would present an attraction to young scallywags.

Tom

:) all i'm saying is there is lots of things to worry about - and worrying about promoting eBikes because some youths might want to use them illegally is probably not something that needs to be that high up your list.

kids want to ride BMX's, mini motos and generally look cool... not ride something that would interest their Dad, the electronics engineer ;) that they have to pedal to get up to a speed that a moped could easily do.

carpetbagger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 20, 2007
blackburn
long live the ebike. Until about 8 years ago I hadn't ridden a bike for about 28 years. I then got a Powabyke and eventually decided i wanted to go further so got my Agattu. On Saturday I completed my 2nd successive London to Paris ride for charity with 300 miles and lots of hills on a non electric road bike, something I never dreamt a would be able to do a few years ago.
All this made possible by an ebike getting me fit enough to be able to go non electric.....

fmm1000

Pedelecer
Mar 9, 2014
Thats exactly the story we're hearing all over the place :) But how did you find out about eBikes?
My soon moved out of our house and took the best bike with him.
Hence I needed a new bike.
I wanted a bike that would make me go more out than my previous bikes.
Thats when I got the idea to buy an ebike.
I wanted something not looking like an old ladies bike. Stealth looking. Relatively lightweight, good torque and good top speed.
Then I searched the web and found my BH Race the most attractive.
I have not regreted buying it for one second :).

Thats exactly the story we're hearing all over the place :) But how did you find out about eBikes?

carpetbagger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 20, 2007
blackburn
I was looking on the internet one day when I stumbled across Powabykes....the rest is history !

AlanJ72

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 7, 2015
We're investing in a much larger demo fleet to support this for 2016 and an event trailer we can take to dealer events.

However we genuinely are struggling to find a successful way of advertising the eBike side of our brand, at a brand level.
I can imagine one area you might want to focus on is the cycle to work scheme, I'd imagine one thing that would put people off is imagine slogging into work, up a hill, getting into work a panting, sweating mess but an ebike helps share the effort so you don't get to work looking like you need an ambulance :)

I did a charity ride recently for the British Heart Foundation (ran by the Knowle & Dorridge Lions), without my ebike (converted using a kit, sadly pre-made ones are too expensive for me as ill health prevents work) I wouldn't have been able to raise the £200 + gift aid for a good cause, so maybe contacting charities that do bike rides would be another avenue of spreading the word.

Sportives are a cyclist magnet, there are some that are very ebike friendly so approaching their organisers might help, have a presence with some demo bikes, catalogues, etc.

Another wild suggestion, try contacting Mike Bushell from BBC Breakfast, he is always willing to try/promote things to get people active, he might do a piece on ebikes.

If you find this helpful and feel the need to give me a free ebike.... Well worth asking :p

Izzyekerslike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2015
Leeds, West Yorkshire
You raise an interesting point Steveindenmark.

We have a massive problem working out where to actually advertise eBikes, especially the more sporty ones. The potential customers are so wide ranging, its hard to do any targeted advertising at the brand level, because where do you do it?

At the moment the best form of promotion for eBikes tends to be made at the dealer level by active dealers taking bikes out for people to try, and also eBike customers themselves promoting the concept to others.

We're investing in a much larger demo fleet to support this for 2016 and an event trailer we can take to dealer events.

However we genuinely are struggling to find a successful way of advertising the eBike side of our brand, at a brand level.
Sorry, you've misunderstood me. We're not struggling to sell bikes, we sold out again this year. We want to support our dealers and do more advertising, but so far everything we've tried has been a total waste of money.

Regarding the price, I'm afraid KTM and I suspect Haibike will never make cheap bikes... there are certain price points that with the components we use you simply can't get below without compromise that many brands don't want to make. The premium brands do offer very competitive pricing and I would argue they are exceptional value, but yes at £1500.00+ to many, they can not be described as cheap.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
I am beginning to notice more ebikes in Swansea, but all are ridden by the over 50s if not 60s.
Some ask me about mine and wince when I tell them the price.
Strangely, the other day I was stopped by of all things, a 'Stop me and Buy One' ice cream van. He wanted to know all about it, but he was in his 50s
Locally, the one BIG thing and I cannot stress this too much is hill climbing ability. Speed and range always come second.
The UK is a hilly and windy country and manufacturers need to realistically interpret '250watt continuous' to provide adequate hill climbing grunt.

Izzyekerslike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2015
Leeds, West Yorkshire
As a keen cyclist on both Road and Mtb I didn't really know much about eBikes other than the odd one's I had seen appeared to look like someone had knocked them up in a shed and so dismissed them as uncool and uninteresting and only good for getting to work and back. Then just out of boredom I searched ebay and came across a used Haibike Xduro AllMtn Pro and thought Wow! I had no idea that eBikes could look like this. However not knowing anything about eBikes and the fact the bike was 250 miles away I didn't pursue it. However my interest in eBikes was sparked so I did more research online and after a while purchased a Haibike Sduro Allmtn RC. I really couldn't be more pleased with any purchase I have ever made and through my enthusiasm my cousin and brother have both bought the same bike and are both very happy with their purchase. Although I am aware of KTM for motor cycles until I joined the forum I was unaware that they made eBikes too. My point to you for your marketing is use ebay. You can sell at list price and use classified ads , show loads of photos and plenty of room for descriptions, etc etc and if you want to throw a Spratt to catch a Mackerel you could sell your ex demo bikes. I am certain you would pick up quite a number of customers for a relatively small cost. If it works don't forget who told you. Regards Ed

steveindenmark

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2011
Tom, yobbos who want to ride fast steal mopeds. They don't care how old they are.

KTM, the original poster is Danish. There is a different mentality to bikes over here. Once the electric bikes came in the shops people started buying them and now you see them every day, they are very common. Admittedly, a lot are being used by the elderly who have come back into biking. We often get a peloton of electric bikes coming past the house on a coffee morning run. There are so many electric bikes that they advertise themselves. They are not the norm, but it is getting close.

The "Adventure/Touring" side of electric bikes is new and the manufacturers need to have a dedicated advertising team to look at this and work out a strategy. You cannot have one guy selling SAGA Holidays and 18-30 Holidays, there is too much of a difference. The publics perception of electric bikes is a pensioner riding down the shops to get their morning paper. But it has moved on so much more than that, but the industry has not got the message across.

If KTM want to sponsor me to Ride the Long Way Down or Long Way Round to advertise their bikes, I will be happy to oblige. You know what happened the last time KTM rejected an offer like that. :0)

I also agree about price, but also understand that if you want a good bike you have to dig deep, especially if it is a bit different. But electric bikes come in very wide range of prices. I can tour on any bike but my tourer cost £2000. It has everything I specifically wanted, all top quality and it doesn't have a motor. The best does not come cheap.

Last edited:

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Most people who want to use high speed e-bikes are commuters under 50s.

40s: 30mph is plenty
50s: 22mph is plenty
60s: 20mph is plenty
70s+: legal speed is plenty
I am 55 and find 15mph fine (and safe) for cycling my 10 mile round commuite through Cambridge City. I can understand people wanting a higher speed cycling on roads or longer commutes. I have a friend at work who has a 48V monster that does 20-25 mph on a longer 30-40 round commute. He constantly has problems with spoke breakage.

Jerry

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
You raise an interesting point Steveindenmark.

We have a massive problem working out where to actually advertise eBikes, especially the more sporty ones. The potential customers are so wide ranging, its hard to do any targeted advertising at the brand level, because where do you do it?

At the moment the best form of promotion for eBikes tends to be made at the dealer level by active dealers taking bikes out for people to try, and also eBike customers themselves promoting the concept to others.

Colin.....when Kudos first started we did a series of road shows across the UK.....Redbridge,Manifold Trail,East Anglia....the biggest problem is getting enough people to attend,having said that the people who attended were very serious and often bought an e-bike afterwards,some are still contributors to this forum....one bought a KTM....Artstu!
It was fun to do,took us to attractive parts of the UK that I otherwise would not have travelled to,despite a massive marketing effort it was hard to get enough attendance to justify the cost and effort.
It was very important to work with a good local dealer.
They were a better way of testing e-bikes,in a real situation,than the small and congested circuits available at cycle shows,although they offer a much higher footfall,having said that Kudos and KTM will have good stands at the NEC cycle show in September.
What is needed are one day e-bike road shows,going to areas of the UK,where access to a range of e-bikes is not generally available....it needs to be brands which compliment rather than conflict with each other.
So,a good use for your trailer and demo bikes would be go and show e-bikes in the more remote areas of the UK....the lady at the tea rooms on the Manifold Trail would make you most welcome.
KudosDave

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
This is all correct... but you're drawing lines in the sand regarding legality, and expecting someone to abide by some and not others.

I'm not sure how many of these types of youths you know, but having spent a lot of time with the KTM brand now and also having previously worked as a teacher in some of the roughest schools in Oldham, I can assure you - there is little chance of any of them wanting to be seen riding an illegally fast pedelecs. They just aren't cool and are too expensive compared to an equivalent and equally fast and illegal motorbike. They just bomb about on illegal mini motorbikes, that cost pretty much nothing to buy and they never get caught using.

This is the sort of thing they are using.

http://www.gumtree.com/p/ducati-motorbikes/mini-moto-pocket-bike-50cc/1126853832
Colin.....fat e-bikes may change that conception by 14 plus teens,with motors and gears tuned to accelerate rather than speed....although I suspect the techie teenager will soon overcome what speed limiting device we fit....the bikes need to look sexy and cool not old codger style.
KudosDave

Last edited:

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
As a keen cyclist on both Road and Mtb I didn't really know much about eBikes other than the odd one's I had seen appeared to look like someone had knocked them up in a shed and so dismissed them as uncool and uninteresting and only good for getting to work and back. Then just out of boredom I searched ebay and came across a used Haibike Xduro AllMtn Pro and thought Wow! I had no idea that eBikes could look like this. However not knowing anything about eBikes and the fact the bike was 250 miles away I didn't pursue it. However my interest in eBikes was sparked so I did more research online and after a while purchased a Haibike Sduro Allmtn RC. I really couldn't be more pleased with any purchase I have ever made and through my enthusiasm my cousin and brother have both bought the same bike and are both very happy with their purchase. Although I am aware of KTM for motor cycles until I joined the forum I was unaware that they made eBikes too. My point to you for your marketing is use ebay. You can sell at list price and use classified ads , show loads of photos and plenty of room for descriptions, etc etc and if you want to throw a Spratt to catch a Mackerel you could sell your ex demo bikes. I am certain you would pick up quite a number of customers for a relatively small cost. If it works don't forget who told you. Regards Ed
KTM are not keen on their products being sold on e-bay.
KudosDave

Izzyekerslike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2015
Leeds, West Yorkshire
I know that many manufacturers dislike their products on ebay and I understand their position. But that means they are ignoring possibly one the world's largest market places. I was thinking more of classified information ads with lots of photos and details of the models at list price along with a list of dealer's where the bikes could be bought. I sell cars priced between 10k and 20k and get a great responce from eBay classifieds... No body actually buys by clicking but they call us then visit if we can sell cars I am certain you could see bikes but that's only my thoughts. You have a great product from a solid brand so I'm certain you will get there. All the best.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015