'Stylish' hill-climbing electric folder for around a 1000??

opaz

Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2009
By 'stylish' I mean modern looking like the Izip Santa Cruz, the fast forward edge or the Urban Mover UM26S

your recommendations please....

ta.

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Opaz as nobody has answered , I will . I am not familiar with the machines mentioned , but look at the Folder by Batribike . I have the lower powered 26V 8Ah Quartz SE and am very pleased with it . The later model has a 36V 10 Ah set up , with the motor now in the back wheel and the battery on the carrier . It is beautifully finished in lacquered polished Alloy and the main frame is a work of art . All components work very well , particularly the brakes, which are powerful and progressive .It climbs hills with some whine , but if you get a very very steep one like in Barry where I live , I jump off, select throttle only and walk it up . Having said that there aren`t many that I don`t ride up . Tonight I went for a 12 mile ride into a 30 mile an hour wind and only used medium assist and the gears .On the way back with a following wind I came up a hill in 7th gear with max. assist .Folders are low geared and on medium assist you won`t put more than 10 miles into the hour .On max. assist you can keep up 14 to 15 miles an hour , but your legs are going around at a fair rate .I have done 33 miles on a charge using mainly med. assist . I paid £649 for the low powered version 10 months ago , when the normal model Quartz was £749 .They have crept up in price now to £899 . Folders go from about £370 for the Woosh to well over a £1000 .

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
The Juicy Urban 20 should be fine around Hebdon Bridge. Come over to Buxton for a try.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Opaz....We have 2 folders at Kudos Cycles...Cheetah is a full suspension bike with 6-speed Derailleur,priced £595.00 and Versatile is more in line with the Izip bike priced at £675.00. Spare batteries about £160.00-you can view both on our website.
I have tried both bikes up the 1 in 8 hill near us,as well as a number of other test folders-they all seem to go up hills about the same but none of them are hill climbers like a 26" wheeled mountain bike.
I strongly suggest that you try a small wheeled folder against a mountain bike before making your purchase.
If you are close to Kent please come down and try both bikes up the hill.
Dave Elderfield
Kudos Cycles

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi I am going to build a folder for my father in law using the Raleigh boardwalk

Raleigh Boardwalk Lite

Using a rear kit Adds 12 kilos to bike BUT with a 48 volt 10 AH battery It will climb Mountains with no pedaling twist and go

Kit £995 + fitting £150 + Bike

The other way is to fit an Ezee 350 watt kit £895 + fitting + bike Kit only 36 volt but will still pull like Train

http://www.cyclezee.com/

Sorry about the budget But the Best Costs

Frank

Last edited:

opaz

Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2009
RoadieRoger, thanks for getting the ball going...

Yeah, someone recommended the Fast4ward Edge 2011. 24 volts, but rear hub driven. Spoke to a guy in a shop in Chester who reckoned 24 volts was irrelevant in terms of torque for hills, but was related more to distance. (I think that's what he was saying). He also didn't think the rear hub thing was such a big deal. He said it gives you more perceived oomph, but the front wheelers take you up just the same. Wasn't quite sure I completely understood that...

Frank, your 48 volt project on the Raleigh sounds great. Like you say ... budgets.. : (

Another one I've been looking at is the Izip Santa Cruz (36 volts). Seems like great value for money at 800ish. But Chester guy said that 'brand' may cease to exist and parts might be an issue.

The one I'm starting to like is the Whisper 806fe. Not as cool looking or well-designed as the 806 Alpino folder, which is 500 quid more expensive, but within my budget.

JuicyBike, I'd be happy to come to Buxton, but the Juicy Urban 20 looks ... a bit... I know you folks will find me hopelessly fascile, but for a 1000 quid, I want something that also looks cool so I can fall in love with it.

KudosCycles, followed your link, can't work out how to navigate to the folding bikes..

Conversion kits aren't really my thing. I'm busy and not very technical. Ideally want to buy something with a 1 or 2 year warranty and get someone to fix it for free when it goes wrong.

opaz

Last edited:

Ultra Motor

Esteemed Pedelecer
RoadieRoger, thanks for getting the ball going...

Yeah, someone recommended the Fast4ward Edge 2011. 24 volts, but rear hub driven. Spoke to a guy in a shop in Chester who reckoned 24 volts was irrelevant in terms of torque for hills, but was related more to distance. (I think that's what he was saying). He also didn't think the rear hub thing was such a big deal. He said it gives you more perceived oomph, but the front wheelers take you up just the same. Wasn't quite sure I completely understood that...
Hi Opaz,
I think you'll be impressed by the Fast4ward Edge. You can take advantage of our 'Try Before You Buy' scheme and borrow one Free Of Charge for 3 days. Then you can test it on your hills at home in your own time?

All the best with your search!
Mark

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011

Ultra Motor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nice offer Mark, but where are you? Your website doesn't say..
Hi Opaz,
We have dealers up and down the country, you can put your postcode in here: Ultramotor to find your local and they will manage the scheme with you.

If there isn't one locally come direct and we'll get a demo bike to you to try!

All the best
Mark

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Folder

As pointed out by several Forum Members the the Folders don`t go up hills as well as the larger wheeled bikes , nor are they as fast on the flat .Some of the more manly ? folders you have mentioned have quite high frames around the folding mechanism .The Batribike and the Juicybike Urban 20 have nice low frames to step over, gay ? . I cannot believe it, but one is charging £999 and you don`t even get a front mudguard and the rear is miniscule too . Unless you really want a folder , look at the Tonaro Compy for £1015 on the Power Pedals site , theses Tonaros are real hill climbers . Otherwise the Juicy Urban 20 at £749 looks the best buy . You get front suspension and a decent battery with it .

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
As pointed out by several Forum Members the the Folders don`t go up hills as well as the larger wheeled bikes
That's not the case and I've never seen a forum member post that. Small wheel bikes climb better than larger wheel ones, simply because they have a leverage advantage. The smaller the wheel, the better the use made of each watt of motor or human power when climbing or accelerating.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks for the response, I'd missed that bit of dealer hype, but it's not true.

Last edited:

opaz

Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2009
Thanks for all the replies.

The postcode supplier-finder links were good. Spoke really nice people in ... I think it was the Bike Shed in Huddersfield. They told me the trial on the FastForward actually costs 40 quid, but they'll deliver the bike to your door, which seems fair.

But the guy in Huds I spoke to was honorable enough to concede that where I live (Pennine hills) I'd probably want a 36 volter.

So I'm still homing in on the Whisper 806fe. Seems like a lot of suppiers haven't got them in stock at the moment. Everyone's waiting for the next delivery.

banbury frank - how do you define 'new'? (ie when from)

When you google 806 reviews, high in the rankings is a review from a guy who describes a critical design-fault. He found himself on a busy canal towpath and found that he couldn't switch off the power without dismounting and so his bike was too 'poky' for comfort in a confined environment..

I recognised that situation. I had a Sunlova till it packed up recently (don't ask) and I often found myself in confined situations with pedestrians where manual was best, but even that had a power off button on the handle bars... and that bike was a PILE OF SHITE (excuse the language)

Ultra Motor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Thanks for all the replies.

The postcode supplier-finder links were good. Spoke really nice people in ... I think it was the Bike Shed in Huddersfield. They told me the trial on the FastForward actually costs 40 quid, but they'll deliver the bike to your door, which seems fair.

But the guy in Huds I spoke to was honorable enough to concede that where I live (Pennine hills) I'd probably want a 36 volter.
Hi Opaz,

The £40 is a small charge if you don't purchase to cover shipping. If you do purchase there is no cost at all.

If you want to try one I'll waive the £40 charge and you can let me know how it copes with your hills!

Thanks
Mark

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Thanks for the response, I'd missed that bit of dealer hype, but it's not true.
Both Kudos folders are 24v so that will limit them on hills...

opaz

Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2009
Mark, that's a great offer. You have a deal. I'll trial one for free and post up a review. I live 'on the tops' above Hebden Bridge in West Yorkshire. It's steep. I have a 5 mile journey over the tops to my girlfriends house in Sowerby. If I can do that on a Fast4ward without giving myself a heart attack, it's a hill climber. email me at opaz67@hotmail.com

Last edited:

NeilP

Pedelecer
Sep 25, 2010
I know you Swiss you would rather avoid kits, and get s ready built bike, BUT

If you can find someone to build up a kit for you, how about a
Montegue folding Mountain bike

in fact, having just looked up a link for you, I find they already do a folder themselves
A full size MTB, a proven and nice riding MTB , plus electric. Pretty low powered, but would be able to be beefed up I am sure

http://www.montaguefoldingbikes.co.uk/electric/foldingbike.htm

Or buy one of their standard folders and get someone to fit s kit for you

These are good bikes, my mate has the 'Swiss' model,

Attachments